looking for rare metric bolts

/ looking for rare metric bolts #51  
I searched forever a couple years ago for a 14 x 1.25 and finally found them at the local Fastenal Store.
Kubota had used them to secure the ROPS together.

/ looking for rare metric bolts #52  
Need m14 x 1.25 structural bolts. I need 8 at 50 mm and 8 @ 75 mm, does anyone know where I can find them? Search engine is not turning up much except euro wheel lug bolts. This is to replace the bolts that mount the front frame and loader to the engine block on my LS XG3032
Do you actually need “structural“ bolts. They are made of a different steel with a different yield curve, than standard bolts. And will be very hard to find.

The 14X1.25 is an extra-fine pitch. Do you need it, or can you get by with 14X1.5 Fine pitch? You might be able to go with the 14X1.5 Fine thread in a 12.9 strength, torqued to spec, and get the same clamping force as the Extra Fine pitch 10.9 torqued to spec.

/ looking for rare metric bolts
Do you actually need “structural“ bolts. They are made of a different steel with a different yield curve, than standard bolts. And will be very hard to find.

The 14X1.25 is an extra-fine pitch. Do you need it, or can you get by with 14X1.5 Fine pitch? You might be able to go with the 14X1.5 Fine thread in a 12.9 strength, torqued to spec, and get the same clamping force as the Extra Fine pitch 10.9 torqued to spec.
Thanks for your thoughts. I will confirm tomorrow that it is actually 1.25. If it is 1.25 and I wanted to put 1.5 in there would I need to tap the holes to 1.5?

/ looking for rare metric bolts #54  
Thanks for your thoughts. I will confirm tomorrow that it is actually 1.25. If it is 1.25 and I wanted to put 1.5 in there would I need to tap the holes to 1.5?
Yes but it's not recommended as you're going to be compromising the integrity of the threads. I think you need to use a thread pitch gauge to be 100% sure and get the right bolt

/ looking for rare metric bolts #55  
If you tried chasing those holes to 1.50, you'd just wind up stripping most of the threads out. Take your thread gauge and lay the 1.50 blade over your 1.25 bolt. You'll see that moving that much metal would pretty much wipe things out.
I'd still recommend going to the next size, and as it was mentioned earlier, you can go SAE if it will be smaller that M16 so you won't crowd the bosses.

*Edit: looking at the charts, M16 would need a 14 mm drill (0.5118 in.) and 9-16 would need 33-64 (0.5156 in.) so staying metric would keep the holes a tad smaller.

Last edited:
   / looking for rare metric bolts #56  
Back to problem at hand... IF all the available 14mm bolts are 1.50mm thread pitch it would seem to me there is a error in measuring thread pitch of exiting bolts.... What are you using to measure thread pitch....
I believe it's 1.25 pitch, that's designated "extra fine" I think. The pitch isn't that uncommon, it's just uncommon in the US. I wonder if the OP contacted anyone at the link I provided earlier in this thread.

/ looking for rare metric bolts #57  
If you decide you need to change the pitch do not use an M14x1.5 tap. Since the hole is already 14MM changing the pitch will remove most of the threads. To change pitch you would need to increase the thread size. To change from 1.25 to 1.5 pitch you would need to use a 16mm thread. You could, as I mentioned previously, tap the hole 9/16-18. Doing this should make a thread strong enough even though the threads would no be perfect. Wait, maybe not. Tomorrow I will make a drawing showing the resulting thread if the m14 x 1.5 hole is tapped 9/16-18. Then I will post a picture of the drawing so we can all see just how much thread would be left.
Eric

Last edited:
   / looking for rare metric bolts #58  
You may want to triple check your bolt thread pitch.

I checked the parts catalog and they list M14x1.5 which it a lot easier to find. M14x1.25 is pretty much an odd size and most likely a specialty thread of some sorts.

View attachment 780904
Quoting my own post for the picture.

I still think it's a better idea to confirm the thread pitch first before going crazy on re-tapping something that may not even need it. It's highly unlikely that the thread is M14x1.25 but rather M14x1.5. Even the parts catalog says it.

Tapping a 1.5 thread pitch on top of a 1.25, will only result on stripped threads. The only option is going a size bigger to M16x1.5.

/ looking for rare metric bolts #59  
In my country, bolts and nuts with inch thread are also expensive, rarely used and ordered individually. When there is a need for them, we check whether we can find them in the market, how long the order will take, etc.

If this is not satisfactory, we go to turners who usually have the ability to make inch thread in the workshop. If their strength is to be considered, the turner selects a particular steel.

This is usually much cheaper than buying new ones. Such items won't be galvanized, but at least they will fit.

I think you also have opportunities to make items with metric threads.

/ looking for rare metric bolts #60  
You can roughly measure the pitch on the bolts you're replacing with dial or digital calipers. Just visually line up the caliper's inside measurement points with the thread crests of, say, the first crest and the 11th crest and divide the measurement by 10. (N-1) Spanning more threads distributes any fixed, visual error more widely.