Looking for Older Odds and Ends

/ Looking for Older Odds and Ends #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
My retirement gig is I put together used welding sets both arc and O/A and sell on Craigs list. This market has done well for me as I can get a novice, garge tinker, small garage and etc with good value over buying new. Normally I only sell complete sets ready to go to work complete with PPE and consumables. I add a lot of new components as necessary using offshoe components I have proven reliable. Clean then up lubricate moving parts (especially arc) and make sure everythig is leak tested and works properly. My prices are usually hall being allk new. Always sell full gas cylinders that are privarte owned and filled current. New cylinders and gas costs have goon out of sight. Not looking forward to the phase out of acetylene (on the horizon). I do provide T type hose and propane cutting tips when requested. I was always a better O/A welder on steel than with arc eventhough certified for both.

AFTER ALL THAT:

Guys, look at all that stuff gathering dust in the back corner. I can re-purpose older Harris, Airco, and Victor O/A using off shore new components and save folks a bundle. Other brands I get in bulk purchases go in the brass and copper scrap buckets. Not looking for big items just the stuff that will fit in Priority Mail containers as I will pay shipping costs that way only.

If you live in my area (WA Puget Sound Area) we can discuss arc machines of all brands. I often have recently filled Argon cylinders for sale

Big current need is Victor J type torches and cutting attachments and Harris 16 and 43 series torches. I have the capability to rebuild regulators if parts are available.

Send me personal on what you want to convert to a little cash.

Ron

/ Looking for Older Odds and Ends #2  
I recently (last year) replaced my old gas torches with a single small setup. I don't do much gas welding anymore. I mostly use it for heating and brazing. I'll have to rummage around the barn and see if I can find the old stuff and see if it's worth putting in a box. I remember the valves on my J-torch (?) were hard to turn. Probably just needs stem seals or something.

What's the current rate for a large Flat-Rate box now days? If it doesn't break the bank, I can probably fill one or two with torches and regulators. Let me see if I can gather what I have. It may take me a couple of days to find them, but you're welcome to what I have. I know I have some old regulators from various auctions too. I never used them--They were just part of the Lots when I bid on something else. :cautious:

/ Looking for Older Odds and Ends #3  
If acetylene is phased out what gas will replace it? I can't think of another readily available gas that burns hot enough to gas weld with.
Eric

/ Looking for Older Odds and Ends
I recently (last year) replaced my old gas torches with a single small setup. I don't do much gas welding anymore. I mostly use it for heating and brazing. I'll have to rummage around the barn and see if I can find the old stuff and see if it's worth putting in a box. I remember the valves on my J-torch (?) were hard to turn. Probably just needs stem seals or something.

What's the current rate for a large Flat-Rate box now days? If it doesn't break the bank, I can probably fill one or two with torches and regulators. Let me see if I can gather what I have. It may take me a couple of days to find them, but you're welcome to what I have. I know I have some old regulators from various auctions too. I never used them--They were just part of the Lots when I bid on something else. :cautious:
TinHack, The sizes and rates are on the postal service website. Cheaper than FedX or UPS on smaller stuff. Depending on what you dig up I could possibly pay the postage.

Ron

/ Looking for Older Odds and Ends
If acetylene is phased out what gas will replace it? I can't think of another readily available gas that burns hot enough to gas weld with.
Eric
Propane and natural gas are commonly used instead of acetylene for cutting, brazing and heating, especially large users.

Acetylene is unique as it is the only heating gas that can be used for welding steel as it replaces the carbon burned out of the steel when melted. Flame cutting is only applicable to steel.

Electric welding processes are used in production work excusively. The Steamfitters Union, I retired from, no longer teaches O/A welding as employers don't use it except for soldering and brazing which they do teach. Even Plasma cutting has taken over on cutting steel and most other metals.

Back in my day we routinely butt welded steel pipe 2" and smaller and often larger. I once re-welded over one hundred butt welds on vertical risers of 6" pipe that some other so called O/A welders screwed up and every joint leaked.

Now that small pipe is arc welded using socket weld fittings. That has increased cost to do those welds by a factor of 5. One pass with O/A and no slag to 3 passes to be cleaned each pass plus an expensive forged steel fitting. Many jobs required a generator to run the arc machines.

And you wonder why construction costs have increased.

Ron