Looking for a log splitter

/ Looking for a log splitter #11  
I want something towable and gas powered. I’d like to split the wood where the tree falls. I don’t think I’d use more than 2 or 3 cords a year, but I want something that can handle larger rounds and not get twisted up trying. Reading older threads here people mention vertical splitting, I’m for that!

I haven’t been here much lately, I hope everyone is well.
You might be better off renting. Let the rental place deal with the maintenance and storage.
The place I rented from in MO. had a 37ton and it worked great. I had all the wood cut and ready to split so it only took a couple hours.

/ Looking for a log splitter #12  
You might be better off renting. Let the rental place deal with the maintenance and storage.
The place I rented from in MO. had a 37ton and it worked great. I had all the wood cut and ready to split so it only took a couple hours.
^^^ This is what I did, until the rental places near me closed down. You just need to have a flexible schedule to work with the rental agency.

/ Looking for a log splitter #13  
Some people like the horizontal/vertical splitter in vertical mode and some don't. I tried it once and hated it. Working close to the ground you have no leverage with your back and legs so it's all upper body strength. My back and legs are a lot stronger than my upper body. I can lift a pretty good sized round onto the splitter in horizontal mode and then work with it at a comfortable height. If it's too heavy to lift I cut lengthwise with the chainsaw most of the way through (the fastest cutting direction) and use a splitting maul to finish it. Really big wood may need to be sectioned into 6 or 8 chunks.

With the H/V splitter the tire and wheel intrude on where the operator stands. The models with larger wheels and tires (like mine) are the worst. On the other hand the taller wheels and tires get the work area up to where its comfortable for taller people. Even the largest tires are only rated for 45 mph though you may be able to put highway tires on.

/ Looking for a log splitter #14  
Not sure why you guys don't like vertical. I split small rounds in horizontal, but big ones 20" or more I just roll to the splitter, stand it up and push it under. Than I roll another one, seat on it and start splitting. Easy to change from horizontal position to vertical.

/ Looking for a log splitter #15  
Not sure why you guys don't like vertical. I split small rounds in horizontal, but big ones 20" or more I just roll to the splitter, stand it up and push it under. Than I roll another one, seat on it and start splitting. Easy to change from horizontal position to vertical.
Yep - I do the same - smaller pieces horizontal and larger (~18+") roll to the splitter and slide them on the end plate. Split in half then you can take pie slices out one after the other on one half as you slightly rotate it and split. It makes nice consistent split pieced.

When I'm working with my splitter it's usually attached to the Gator so moving from horizontal/vertical is easy and secure. My splitter also has a pin that locks it in the horizontal or vertical position.

/ Looking for a log splitter #16  
I already explained why I don't like H/V splitters in vertical mode. It's great that it works for you; it doesn't work for me. Telling me how great it is for you won't change that. People are different.

Nearly all the log splitters at the more affordable end of the market are H/V models. So its not like you have to choose when you're buying. You can try it both ways and see what works for you.

A lot of people have had good results with the County Line splitters from TSC. Mine's an Oregon which has been fine. I got it used and their new prices seem kind of high now so I'm not sure I'd recommend a new one. But it's pushed through some really tough wood without complaint.

If you get an H/V splitter and use it in horizontal mode at all, get a log table that bolts to one side. You can use it to stage smaller rounds or to stash part of a round while you split the other part. I still end up often putting chunks on the ground while I split another chunk, but the table saves some of the picking up off the ground.

/ Looking for a log splitter #17  
I already explained why I don't like H/V splitters in vertical mode. It's great that it works for you; it doesn't work for me. Telling me how great it is for you won't change that. People are different.

Nearly all the log splitters at the more affordable end of the market are H/V models. So its not like you have to choose when you're buying. You can try it both ways and see what works for you.

A lot of people have had good results with the County Line splitters from TSC. Mine's an Oregon which has been fine. I got it used and their new prices seem kind of high now so I'm not sure I'd recommend a new one. But it's pushed through some really tough wood without complaint.

If you get an H/V splitter and use it in horizontal mode at all, get a log table that bolts to one side. You can use it to stage smaller rounds or to stash part of a round while you split the other part. I still end up often putting chunks on the ground while I split another chunk, but the table saves some of the picking up off the groun

Agree 100%...

/ Looking for a log splitter #19  
When we first got here - heated with firewood. 100% Ponderosa pine. Had a 28 ton Didier horizontal splitter. After ten years - went from firewood to pellets. Learned in a real big hurry - my biggest pines were a real PITA to manhandle and split. Had the biggest ones logged off and then used the smaller ones ( 18" to 24" on the butt ) for firewood.

A quality splitter - well maintained - will retain a majority of its value when it's time to sell.

/ Looking for a log splitter #20  
My countyline from TSC has been a solid unit and has split cord after cord. It’s easy to start and works well. It works vertically, but I almost never use it this way.

I pull it around my property, but the wheel bearings can’t handle speed and I think it’s rated at like 25mph max so it should be trailered for any distance. I’ve looked at some of the pro ones and while they are amazing, I could literally buy 8 or 9 of what I have and it works well.

Attachments

• IMG_3424.jpeg
    IMG_3424.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 126