Looking at a Case 550 E

/ Looking at a Case 550 E #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
It's a dozer, long track, 6 way blade, rippers on the back, '92 model and about 5200 hours. He wants 17K for it. He said there is a steering issue on one side that he's been told is a valve problem. Cheap part but a bear to get to (his words to some extent). That last part scared me off. He's owned it a year and no longer has time to visit his property so he's selling this and a late model tractor. My place is out in the sticks and roughly 150 miles from the nearest place to rent a dozer. I would rather rent when I need to cut in a road. Originally he told me where it is located at and said check it out, fire it up etc. Latest is that his plans have changed and he could meet me there this weekend. His relatives still live on the property or area. It's located maybe 35 miles from my property which is good. He bought it for the same reason as I would.
Feedback wanted or just pick one:

1. 1. Sounds like a screamin deal
    2. It's priced too high
    3. RUN Forest RUN!!!
    4. I wouldn't have that dozer if you gave it to me
    5. It really is a simple fix
    6. Can I borrow it?

/ Looking at a Case 550 E #2  
Case 550 is a good little tractor.

This one is over-priced. Too many hours, and unknown repair cost, for that much money.

/ Looking at a Case 550 E
I don't know squat about dozers but I agree with ya bigfoot

/ Looking at a Case 550 E #4  
To high for a machine with known problems. Average auction price on that machine is $13,500.

/ Looking at a Case 550 E #6  
Little dozers are designed for spreading material and making things look nice. They are not good for clearing land or digging in hard soil. Their small size and weight makes them easy to transport and work on residential sized jobs.

If you are wanting something to use on your land, bigger is better.

I have a Case dozer and really like the guys at the dealer, but hate that Case doesn't feel responsible for keeping parts for their older machines. They discontinue making quite a few parts for mine, and in some cases, will only sell a new replacement part that needs modifications to make it work. My hydraulic pumps are $25,000 each from case if I need new ones, and they wont even fit my dozer without making changes to it.

Whenever somebody wants to sell you something and says it's an easy or cheap fix, but doesn't want to do it, then neither do you. Run, becasue they are lying about something. It's probably a very expensive repair, or an extremly dificult one. This is such a huge red flag, that nothing else matters. RUN FOREST RUN!!!!!

Eddie

I know you like the heavier machines Eddie. I will probably look at it just for the experience but you guys say it's not worth it and I believe you. Gut feeling is he won't come off the price. I can't see buying something I have to wrench on right away.
Feedback appreciated.

I'm also going to look into rental units even though I'm quite some distance from any rental place. I'm in no hurry.

I looked at it today. The right steering brake is what doesn't work. He said he got used to steering it with the levers since he couldn't get anyone to come out and fix it. He did say he heard it was a pretty involved repair. The ripper had three rippers in it but has space for five. Two of the rippers were missing teeth and the the ripper points were damaged.
A few pictures at the end of this page.
dozer pron

The lever that controls the ripper cylinder leaks on the valve body. One of the front angle blade cylinders is leaking.

Unrelated note. I looked at a (bob) dump truck today. It was a little out of my way but since I was headed in that direction what the hey. In the pictures he sent me it looked like the frame was bent. I kept thinking it was the camera lens distorting the picture. yep, previous owner had bent the frame and never got it quite straight when he welded plates on the side of the frame. I said no thanks.