Disc Harrow Long 960 Harrow

/ Long 960 Harrow #1  

MF243RedTop

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 243
I recently acquired a set of Long 960 harrows ($650)
I've been working through them the frame (4x4) tubing
Hangers, 3pt hitch, some bearings and axles were all in good shape but my issue is the axles seem to be 41" front and back. The fronts are 5 disc on about 9" spacing and the rears are 6 disc on about 7" spacing is this common or just a product of coming off a farm visiting the parts pile? They were road hard and put up wet . And the half spools were a hogpile of assorted spools pieced together it seems..

IMG_20200304_212338.jpgIMG_20200308_202243046.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_170311858.jpg
    IMG_20200307_170311858.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
   / Long 960 Harrow #2  
The best I can tell the spools look like King Disks and may work for you. If you are near an Agri Supply take yours with you and you may find ones you need. The difference in spacing is used I think for the front ones to help cut any trash and then the rear ones can cut it smaller and also the front ones are hitting normally more solid dirt while the ones are in "disked" dirt allowing more weight on the front blades for penetration on the heavier trash and undisturbed dirt.

/ Long 960 Harrow #3  
I recently acquired a set of Long 960 harrows ($650)

The fronts are 5 disc on about 9" spacing and the rears are 6 disc on about 7" spacing is this common or just a product of coming off a farm visiting the parts pile?

Several Monroe Tufline and Dirt Dog disc harrows are configured as yours.

Nine inch spacing on the front, cutting gang improves disc penetration in new ground due to less float.

Seven inch spacing on the rear, smoothing discs theoretically results in clods chopped finer as output.

I have a Monroe Tulfline with same front/rear disc spacing. I like it.

MORE ON TUFLINE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/332493-tandem-lift-disc-harow-monroe.html?highlight=

Last edited:
   / Long 960 Harrow
Thanks fellows, that was my thoughts as well.
It just had me wondering when I was going through all those half spools....

I'm thinking of starting some prep for paint soon...
I can get some Caterpillar yellow and black paint for basically free ... Paint the frame yellow, the 3pt hitch and hangers black? Sound like a good color combo?

/ Long 960 Harrow
Made a lot of progress on getting these harrows all sanded and ready for paint... Should have y'all some pics here in the next day or so.

/ Long 960 Harrow
Teaser pic .. sun is going down, tomorrow I'll put them out in the sun to bake and take more.
IMG_20200314_192037754.jpg

/ Long 960 Harrow
I thought about taking a needle and dipping it in black paint and trying to outline the model no. And serial number (which is stamped) but they're almost non-readable anymore... Thoughts? Suggestions?

/ Long 960 Harrow #8  
Forget about it and start using it.

/ Long 960 Harrow
I'll have no problem with that once the paint is dry and cured, but I'll also like to preserve the history and integrity of the harrows.
(Some things they just don't make'um like they used to)
And if they do, it'll cost you an arm and a leg.

/ Long 960 Harrow #10  
Yes I understand, I have several implements from the early 50s through the 60s still going strong.