Traction Logging with industrials

/ Logging with industrials #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Greetings... I am about to pull the trigger on a new tractor. Was going to get the ags as mostly this tractor is used for logging however I have about maybe 5 years left of gettable wood after 34 years of logging the area. After that I will be buying (oh the horror) stems and using the tractor for snow and wood landing work only such as piling logs, bringing them to the splitter, moving splits up to the shed, etc,etc. I have looked at just about all the discussions of ags vs industrials but what most of these discussions are missing are details that make all the difference in the world. How else can anyone explain why some have no problem plowing snow for instance and others are slip siding all over the place with industrials. So it is best that when these questions arise, that specifics are stated to perhaps match those that are already working a certain tire in a certain way with certain tractor weights. Here are my "details". I'll be getting a Mahindra 3016 that if I go with industrials will be upsized to 43x16x20. These will be filled adding about 800 lbs to the tractor which will then weigh in at a bit over 4000# with fel. My question is this. Does anyone using ballasted industrials have problems logging in the woods or do these tires need to be chained to be effective? My terrain is relatively flat with minor grade deviations and is dense forest with ground obstructions. Mostly dry and mostly oaks. I skid when the ground gets hard and/or snow covered. I have skidded with as much as a foot of snow on the ground but mostly in 2"-6". As far as ground clearance, there is about an inch difference with the advantage going to the 11.2x24 ags.
Now just to get this straight. I am not looking to discuss the overall aspects of each type tire as that has been done. I am looking for specifics that might match how I plan to use these tires coupled with tractor weight so if anyone has a similar use situation as I've described, I'd like to hear how your combination is fairing. Thank you.

/ Logging with industrials #2  
I see you live in souther New England, too. How much of your seat time will be spent on asphalt & dry soil/grass vs. how much of your seat time will be spent on damp or wet soil/sod, snow slush, freshly thawed ground, etc? The ratio that you come up with should help you determine which tire will serve you best.

Dry snow and wet snow have very different traction characteristics.
Flatlanders & hill people will have very different traction characteristics.
Proper ballast or lack thereof will have very different traction characteristics.
Chains change everything.

The answer is a multivriate, highly non-linear equation, and just Ag vs R4 won't tell you much, as you have already discovered.

When thinking tractor, think traction first; all other considerations are secondary.

/ Logging with industrials #3  
I use my NH 2120 for skidding logs quite a bit, when purchased, I felt the oversize ag tires would be best (no r4's offered anyway), it was the right option. Even in snow conditions it pulls good.

My tractor weighs in around 4500lbs, there is no weight added. Haven't had any need to do so as I do very little tillage work with it.

Ed

winter-pull.JPG

/ Logging with industrials #4  
I can't answer your question completely but I can give you an example. I have always had ags on my older tractors and I have used them to plow, disc, mow, till, and yes log for fire wood, with very little difficulity and the tractors are two wheel drive. Of course I have been stuck sometimes really stuck in mud and especially when logging and the ruts get real deep. My new tractor has industrials and it is 4WD, I have even had problems while tilling and mowing where the rear tires start spinning if I get to deep or the mower hangs up just sightly When it's in 4WD there isn't any problem but my point is that there is a vast difference in traction between the two types. Don't get me wrong in 4WD and the industrials I can go most places, the industrials are also much much better on my lawn for sure. I just can't imagion how much traction I would have with the ags and 4WD!
Oh well I hope that helps some.

/ Logging with industrials #5  
I can't answer your question completely but I can give you an example. I have always had ags on my older tractors and I have used them to plow, disc, mow, till, and yes log for fire wood, with very little difficulity and the tractors are two wheel drive. Of course I have been stuck sometimes really stuck in mud and especially when logging and the ruts get real deep. My new tractor has industrials and it is 4WD, I have even had problems while tilling and mowing where the rear tires start spinning if I get to deep or the mower hangs up just sightly When it's in 4WD there isn't any problem but my point is that there is a vast difference in traction between the two types. Don't get me wrong in 4WD and the industrials I can go most places, the industrials are also much much better on my lawn for sure. I just can't imagion how much traction I would have with the ags and 4WD!
Oh well I hope that helps some.

Agree! :thumbsup:

/ Logging with industrials #6  
I have R4's on my 'Bota and they are decent for logging. I typically have the forks loaded with a log or 2 and then skid. The R4 tires shine in this application for me due to their toughness and resistance to puncture. They've just got a much tougher sidewall that really shines when on uneven ground that may have thorns or other obstacles.

You will need chains for optimal traction on ice or snow.

/ Logging with industrials #7  
I drag dead logs regularly with my Kubota B3300SU (33-hp / 1,800 pounds) with R-4's. Tires are NOT loaded. Pictures are on asphalt, on the way to my burn pile, but the logs came out of the woods!
Where I live in Florida there are no hills nor grades to worry about.
"Hanging Tree" from which front of logs are suspended is from OMNI Manufacturing.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 299
   / Logging with industrials #8  
jeff9366 said:
I pull dead logs regularly with my Kubota B3300SU (33-hp / 1,800 pounds) with R-4's. Picture is on asphalt but the logs came out of the woods!
Where I live in Florida there are no hills nor grades to worry about.
"Hanging Tree" from which loads are suspended is from OMNI Manufacturing.

Can you provide more pics of your skidding attachment?

/ Logging with industrials #10  
Here's a couple of pics of mine in action.

Attachments

• Phone pics 69761.JPG
    Phone pics 69761.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Phone pics 69771.JPG
    Phone pics 69771.JPG
    625.7 KB · Views: 233