Logging with BCS

/ Logging with BCS #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
New project, just got a Woodland bandsaw mill, have a bunch of fairly large white pine ready for harvest. Using a BCS 850 with a logging arch I made to get the logs off the hill to the mill. The logs so far are in the 22" size range at the base, right now I am cutting them mostly 10' long just to see if I can handle them. The BCS has duals, all tire foam filled, with weights and chains on the outside tires. I think I have almost 200 lbs of weight over one set of stock tires, and I need every bit. The hill picture looks a little steep, it is steeper than it looks. With single tires/chains, the first trip was interesting, adding the duals made it possible. I actually have trouble getting the tractor to go up parts of the hill empty. I do have to drag the end of the log going down the hill to prevent a run a way, rehook when I get to flatter ground to keep from tracking up the yard. I do have a Kubota BX2230, but I am not sure I want to ride down that hill with a load. With the BCS I am walking beside it and can get out of the way when things go bad. With the weighted duals/chains the tractor is a hand full, takes all of my 200 lbs to horse it around. Should keep this 66 yr old in good shape. The BCS is amazing.
IMG_2475.JPG
IMG_2473.JPG
IMG_2470.JPG

/ Logging with BCS #3  
jealous... oh so jealous.....around here 13" diameter jack pine is considered big. Nice to see the pic's

would love to have access to the bigger stuff to put through the wood processor.

Green white pine, 22" diameter weighs in at 95#/foot..... my 10" jack pine is only 27#/foot.... boy putting up wood for the boilers would be so much quicker if I could get your size.

🍻

Last edited:
   / Logging with BCS
THis stuff is destined for the mill to be used as lumber, I will probably burn the bigger limbs in the outdoor stove. Most of our firewood is hardwood, often this big in diameter, just not as tall or straight. But we all use what we have.

/ Logging with BCS #5  
New project, just got a Woodland bandsaw mill, have a bunch of fairly large white pine ready for harvest. Using a BCS 850 with a logging arch I made to get the logs off the hill to the mill. The logs so far are in the 22" size range at the base, right now I am cutting them mostly 10' long just to see if I can handle them. The BCS has duals, all tire foam filled, with weights and chains on the outside tires. I think I have almost 200 lbs of weight over one set of stock tires, and I need every bit. The hill picture looks a little steep, it is steeper than it looks. With single tires/chains, the first trip was interesting, adding the duals made it possible. I actually have trouble getting the tractor to go up parts of the hill empty. I do have to drag the end of the log going down the hill to prevent a run a way, rehook when I get to flatter ground to keep from tracking up the yard. I do have a Kubota BX2230, but I am not sure I want to ride down that hill with a load. With the BCS I am walking beside it and can get out of the way when things go bad. With the weighted duals/chains the tractor is a hand full, takes all of my 200 lbs to horse it around. Should keep this 66 yr old in good shape. The BCS is amazing.View attachment 733632View attachment 733633View attachment 733634

Wow - what a contraption!

/ Logging with BCS
Just a side note on the logging arch. There is a joint where the seat is, I can replace the long BCS tongue with a hitch so I can pull it with the Kubota, but I think the BCS may be safer on these hills. The arch was built with 2"x1/4" tubing, old boat trailer hubs and BCS tires/wheels off my old 725 I think. Tires are foam filled.

/ Logging with BCS #7  
6wheel1.jpg

Not the exact forwarder I was looking for but the idea still works. Some Scandinavian fella makes one that's aluminum(?) w/ small wheels/tires and a self loader run by a Honda engine. Pretty cool but you better be making some money as they're not cheap.