BCS Snowblower

/ BCS Snowblower #1  

ecolbeck

Tractor
BCS
We just got a foot of heavy wet snow here in Western MA. My BCS snowblower could blow whatever snow it encountered but it kept getting hung up because it has no traction. The machine just sits there and spins its wheels unless shove it forward or wiggle it side to side. The amount of effort this takes is unsustainable. Its less work to shovel 1 foot of heavy wet snow than it is to use this useless snowblower. Is there something that can be done about this or is the snowblower the dirty little secret of the BCS line. I could spend a couple of hundred bucks on tire chains and a weight for the blower, but is this really going to make a difference?

/ BCS Snowblower #2  
Comparing my Goldoni to your BCS may be an apples to oranges situation. My Goldoni has ag tires mounted for tilling; when snowblowing, they are reversed. Generally traction is not the issue. Because I have gravel, the skids are lowered; the machine has a tendency to climb lowering the handlebars and often necessitating reversing travel for another forward attempt. My Goldoni has dog clutches to power or disengage each wheel so I could use those to wiggle it from side to side. I believe BCS uses separate brakes on each wheel of their differential driven models to achieve the steering effect. Wiggling a snowblower requires a lot of work because one or both ends of the auger housing are resisted by the snowbank, especially if wet, heavy snow.

The advertising copy for snowblowers at EarthTools.com notes that extensions, weights, or other accessories may be necessary for proper fit and balance. Joel at Earth Tools is probably a good source for advice.

/ BCS Snowblower
Thanks for responding. My tractor has ag tires as well. When you say that yours are reversed, is that simply because the handlebars are rotated for using the snowblower or because you physically take them off and reverse them?

/ BCS Snowblower #4  
Because the handlebars are rotated. When snowblowing, the "V"s in the tire tracks would point in the direction of travel.

/ BCS Snowblower #5  
Chains or if you are inclined, they make tracks for the machine.

/ BCS Snowblower #6  
I use an old set of car tire chains on my BCS 850 for snow/ice.For sure didn't buy new chains. Pretty easy to find old chains for 14-15" tires and cut to fit. Also have both foam filled tires and barbell weights. If traction is really bad, sometimes I have to use the diff lock, but really the only time I have an issue is trying to go up a steep hill. Then I just get the tractor to the top and work going down hill.

/ BCS Snowblower #7  
My Grillo also often has traction limitations when the snow reaches over a foot deep. Here are the things I've found help:

1. Make sure the Ag tires are pointing the right way, as noted above the chevrons on the top of the tire should be pointing in the direction of travel. I reverse my tires twice a year

2. Diff-lock all the time, this also helps with it pulling to one side when I take a less than full bite of snow

3. Tire chains make a difference, especially if there is ice or compact snow under the wheels

4. Tire weights help a bit

/ BCS Snowblower #8  
We just got a foot of heavy wet snow here in Western MA. My BCS snowblower could blow whatever snow it encountered but it kept getting hung up because it has no traction. The machine just sits there and spins its wheels unless shove it forward or wiggle it side to side. The amount of effort this takes is unsustainable. Its less work to shovel 1 foot of heavy wet snow than it is to use this useless snowblower. Is there something that can be done about this or is the snowblower the dirty little secret of the BCS line. I could spend a couple of hundred bucks on tire chains and a weight for the blower, but is this really going to make a difference?

===========================================================================================

Hello and good morning ecolbeck,

Please do not get discouraged, I have a few of questions I need to ask to
help you and help us help you with your needs.

What speed are you operating in when clearing snow??

Which BCS 2 wheel tractor model do you own???

620MAX

Which brand and model snow blower snow thrower/snow blower attachment
do you own for your BCS 2 wheel tractor?

Which one of the following attachment brands is it?

1. Berta 2 stage snow blower

2. BCS Snow throwers

3. Rescia Giuliano single stage snow throwers

What is the width of the snow thrower/snow blower attachment?

BCS snow thrower attachment

a. 24"
b. 28"

Berta 2 stage snow blower attachment
a. 28"
b. 32"

Rescia Giuliano snow thrower
a. 20"
b. 24"
c. 28"
d. 32"

There is no dirty little secret to make your Beautiful BCS 2 Wheel Tractor work better as the
gear drive for your 2-wheel tractor and the snow blower attachment is the most efficient
method of transmittting torque to the snow blower/snow thrower attachment.

You just need a little help and guidance in making it more efficient as a two wheel tractor for
your use.

For right now you need a spray can of Fluid Film to make your snow blower perform better by
making everything that contacts snow slicker and in the process doubling your casting distance.

What you need are 4 link snow and ice chains. You will have to decide whether you want a four link
ladder link snow chain or a 4 link V-bar chain which is a carbide steel V bar chain which were developed
for good traction on snow and ice.

When we refer to a 4 link ladder snow and ice chain what is means is each set of cross links
(ladder rung cross chain links) are separated by 4 chain links in the side chains that cling to the sides
of the tires.

The 4 link ladder link or V bar ladder link chains will allow you to install them between the Chevron Tread lugs
of the tires on your BCS 2 wheel tractor. and provide you with much better traction to clear snow.

The Chevron Tread on the rubber tires for your 2 wheel tractor are referred to as a V bar tread or R-2 tractor tire
tread which is the first rubber tire tread for tractors.

Once we know which model BCS 2 wheel tractor you have and the tire size we can tell you which snow and ice chain
you require to fit the tires properly.

Please do not give up on your BCS 2 wheel tractor and the snow blower/snow thrower you have mounted on it.
You have a machine that will last you five decades or more for mowing and snow removal because of the
gear drive system for the power train and the available attachments for it.

For what its worth I have used 4 link carbide V bar snow chains I can sell to you; I simply have to make up the
correct size chain for your BCS 2 wheel tractors tires.

We can and will help you with this.

/ BCS Snowblower #9  
Hello ecolbeck,

Have I done something to offend you?
Is that why you have not posted anything??

/ BCS Snowblower #10  
I've snowblowed with both BCS and Grillo Machines.

This sounds like a shoe adjustment to me.

I always had filled ag tires for the snowblower