Loader leaking

/ Loader leaking #1  

Brady D

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910, Case farmall 95, John Deere 317g
I have a case farmall 95 with a westendorf front loader when I turn the tractor off the loader will leak down completely in a few minutes without load on it it will also leak slowly while while the tractor is on if it’s holding something

Last edited:
   / Loader leaking #2  
Well, for one thing, never turn your machine off without all implements and weighted items firmly planted on the ground.

/ Loader leaking #3  
If no external oil leaks are present it sounds as if FEL control valve is leaking internally between spool & housing requiring replacement of valve assembly.

/ Loader leaking
If no external oil leaks are present it sounds as if FEL control valve is leaking internally between spool & housing requiring replacement of valve assembly.
Ill replace that and see if it helps

/ Loader leaking #5  
Before you replace anything try switching the hoses for the bucket curl with the lift hoses. If the curl leaks down and the lift doesn't, that's solid evidence the valve is bad. But if the curl doesn't leak down and the lift still does, there's something else going on.

/ Loader leaking #6  
Valves rarely go bad but possible.

a couple rather simple tests you can perform if you have quick disconnects on your loader

you will need a Jack or some way of lifting and supporting the loader for this test.

raise and support the loader on the Jack. Jack should be close to fully raised.
disconnect only the quick disconnect on cap or blind end of the lift cylinders leave rod end quick disconnect connected. Lower Jack, if loader drifts down then your cylinder piston seals are leaking and require replacement.

If loader does not drift then have a valve issue.

we can address that if cylinders test ok. My first guess is bad cylinder seals.

/ Loader leaking
Valves rarely go bad but possible.

a couple rather simple tests you can perform if you have quick disconnects on your loader

you will need a Jack or some way of lifting and supporting the loader for this test.

disconnect only the quick disconnect on cap or blind end of the lift cylinders leave rod end quick disconnect connected. Lower Jack, if loader drifts down then your cylinder piston seals are leaking and require replacement.

If loader does not drift then have a valve issue.

we can address that if cylinders test ok. My first guess is bad cylinder seals.
I’ll give that a try

/ Loader leaking
Before you replace anything try switching the hoses for the bucket curl with the lift hoses. If the curl leaks down and the lift doesn't, that's solid evidence the valve is bad. But if the curl doesn't leak down and the lift still does, there's something else going on.
I’ll try that

/ Loader leaking #9  
The fact that it leaks down FASTER when off, and slow when the tractor is running is leading me to believe that the loader valve spool isnt centering properly. Is it a cable operated joystick or is the joystick mounted direct to the actual valve? This problem is more common on cable controlled valves as a cable may be binding a bit or stretched

/ Loader leaking #10  
If one has a full container of water & inserts a broom handle into the water SOME WATER WILL SPILL OUT of glass. In your test above where do you propose the excess oil would go if there was no external oil leak?