Loader for a 1105 Massey

/ Loader for a 1105 Massey #1  

Larry Wolffe

Tractor
1979 Massey Ferguson 1105
I hope I am in the right place. I bought a piece of property that I want to develop so I bought a 1979 1105 Massey. It has a blade and frame for it but I also need a loader. I am not finding one for that model but I was wondering if I could buy almost any loader and make it work. I am not a stranger to a welder and have rebuilt many cars, trucks ect. But this is heavier equipment than I have worked on.

I imagine width is a factor but more than that I don't know. I don't have any pictures and the tractor is 200 miles north of here. Its 36 below right now so I won't be going there anytime soon. If youtube isn't taboo here I have a channel called toycrazyatv@. There you will see the tractor and some of the work I will be doing. The frame for the blade is large and long, not sure if I could work off of that. I assume most loaders I find will not have a frame or will need to be changed to work. Any advice or help would be great.

Thanks
'

/ Loader for a 1105 Massey #2  

/ Loader for a 1105 Massey
Thank you for that link, unfortunately those are new units and I'm afraid budget doesn't allow for that, interesting information though.

I just bought this undeveloped 160 acres, it will at some point it will be our retirement place. It is surround by forest and lakes. New equipment isn't in the budget. I am looking for a used loader for the tractor and was hoping for advice on what I should watch for or what information from my tractor I need when going to look at them.

What measurements are important, what designs are better or worse. I have looked at a couple but I completely don't know if one it would work or two if it is a crappy design or a good one.

Thanks for any advice I can get.

Last edited:
   / Loader for a 1105 Massey #4  
I believe it was mf 246 loader
On those
Check with salvage places or auction houses
Have seen a couple
Or just find a good industrial loader and weld away
The agriculture loaders are pretty weak
Has a radial piston hydraulic pump so you have plenty of oil to run it
If it is working properly

Dman1981

MF 246, very good to know. You say the agriculture loaders were weak, what part is weak? The frame itself?

The 1105 has been completely rebuilt. I guy I bought it off was a MF mechanic. 3 years ago he broke it apart and repaired, rebuilt everything. A very long list of the work he did including the motor. The rebuilt motor has 300 hours on it. After he rebuilt it he only used it to clear snow from his yard. Big farmer lots of very new and nice tractors and equipment. He only rebuilt this as a winter project, he had it since new and wanted to do it. So lucky me.

/ Loader for a 1105 Massey #6  
Thank you for that link, unfortunately those are new units and I'm afraid budget doesn't allow for that, interesting information though.

I just bought this undeveloped 160 acres, it will at some point it will be our retirement place. It is surround by forest and lakes. New equipment isn't in the budget. I am looking for a used loader for the tractor and was hoping for advice on what I should watch for or what information from my tractor I need when going to look at them.

What measurements are important, what designs are better or worse. I have looked at a couple but I completely don't know if one it would work or two if it is a crappy design or a good one.

Thanks for any advice I can get.
Those Masseys are great old tractors...and with that much land I'm sure you will find a lot of use for it. It will basically pull anythin. Keep that Massey forever. No substitute for one of the old good ones..., but Ag tractors are not the best with loaders for shaping land. The weight distribution is not as good as you expect it to be. Not wrong, just not right....
It sounds like you know mechanical things and welding and know basically what you want to do.

Let me help from the tractor side. First of all, some thoughts on your Finding a big tractor loader that isn't in use and will stand up to that Massey big power. It is always possible, but big ones are rare and even used ones tend to be expensive. They tend to go with the tractor. Much easier to find a loader for a small tractor.
But there is no reason why not to look, but consider thata getting it mounted would be a big job with big fittings. A whole different league and tooling from ATV, bikes, and truck work. You almost need a working loader to be able to work on one. I'm not trying to discourage, but there are better ways.
So no reason not to keep your eyes open for a loader - most can be modified to fit but what a huge job it would be.

What I think you should also be looking for at the same time is a older used backhoe/loader. These are the yellow machines you see on every construction site. They are the swiss army knife of land shaping work, and old ones do not hold their value well. Options that raise the price are cabs, AC, MFWD, extra hydraulic outlets, power shift, and extendahoes. Prices for used ones are low like I said, and for those with fewer options even less. There just isn't much market for used construction equipment. Parts are available and reasonable, and the older models were built to be rebuilt forever. Stay pre-2005 so that you are not into modern computer electronics. You want the older fully mechanical ones.
Models to consider best would be the Case 580, followed closely by the Deere 310. Both of those were made for many decades so there are a ton of them out there. Try utility companies & school districts.
rScotty
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 9.47.06 AM.png

Last edited:
   / Loader for a 1105 Massey #7  
Dman1981

MF 246, very good to know. You say the agriculture loaders were weak, what part is weak? The frame itself?

The 1105 has been completely rebuilt. I guy I bought it off was a MF mechanic. 3 years ago he broke it apart and repaired, rebuilt everything. A very long list of the work he did including the motor. The rebuilt motor has 300 hours on it. After he rebuilt it he only used it to clear snow from his yard. Big farmer lots of very new and nice tractors and equipment. He only rebuilt this as a winter project, he had it since new and wanted to do it. So lucky me.
They are just not built very heavily compared to a industrial loader We
Sold them to dairies for Pushing manure and loading feed
They flex a lot
Once the industrials came
Out with 4x4 they went that way
Still broke em but took longer
If you are
Looking to move a lot of dirt and material
A industrial loader or tractor would work better depends on your money for sure
Have a great day

Those Masseys are great old tractors...and with that much land I'm sure you will find a lot of use for it. It will basically pull anythin. Keep that Massey forever. No substitute for one of the old good ones..., but Ag tractors are not the best with loaders for shaping land. The weight distribution is not as good as you expect it to be. Not wrong, just not right....
It sounds like you know mechanical things and welding and know basically what you want to do.

Let me help from the tractor side. First of all, some thoughts on your Finding a big tractor loader that isn't in use and will stand up to that Massey big power. It is always possible, but big ones are rare and even used ones tend to be expensive. They tend to go with the tractor. Much easier to find a loader for a small tractor.
But there is no reason why not to look, but consider thata getting it mounted would be a big job with big fittings. A whole different league and tooling from ATV, bikes, and truck work. You almost need a working loader to be able to work on one. I'm not trying to discourage, but there are better ways.
So no reason not to keep your eyes open for a loader - most can be modified to fit but what a huge job it would be.

What I think you should also be looking for at the same time is a older used backhoe/loader. These are the yellow machines you see on every construction site. They are the swiss army knife of land shaping work, and old ones do not hold their value well. Options that raise the price are cabs, AC, MFWD, extra hydraulic outlets, power shift, and extendahoes. Prices for used ones are low like I said, and for those with fewer options even less. There just isn't much market for used construction equipment. Parts are available and reasonable, and the older models were built to be rebuilt forever. Stay pre-2005 so that you are not into modern computer electronics. You want the older fully mechanical ones.
Models to consider best would be the Case 580, followed closely by the Deere 310. Both of those were made for many decades so there are a ton of them out there. Try utility companies & school districts.
rScotty
View attachment 848211
We have been looking for just that, meaning backhoe/loader. I have looked at several used units, coincidentally 2005's they start at $65,000 up to $90,000 and not very good condition. Used construction equipment has remained very expensive here, by here I mean western Canada. Lots of new people in the county and they seem to come here able to buy everything.

But your advice on what to look is very helpfull, and I will cut and paste that into my notes.

Thanks Dman1981, appreciate that information.