Load box for portable generator

/ Load box for portable generator #1  

richdell

Tractor
Yanmar 195 and Kubota 2920
I purchased a 4800 watt emergency generator and intend to run it under load every 6 months. My question is how much load is necessary. I bought a 1600 watt range top element to use, but I wonder if more is needed. they are only $17 so no big deal to add another, just wondering if it's necessary.

/ Load box for portable generator #2  
I generally load my portable generator at 50% for maintenance runs. (2) 1500w heater fans with hi/med/lo to get to about 50% on 2k and 3.5k inverter generators.
I believe that is what the manual recommended when I had a previous Generac.

/ Load box for portable generator #3  
I often plug in an air compressor, freezer, big fans, quartz halogen lights, and anything else that might provide a decent load. Granted some of those aren't a constant load but they are a load that will kick on now and then to work it.

/ Load box for portable generator #4  
I purchased a 4800 watt emergency generator and intend to run it under load every 6 months. My question is how much load is necessary. I bought a 1600 watt range top element to use, but I wonder if more is needed. they are only $17 so no big deal to add another, just wondering if it's necessary.
I don’t think the load is as important as just to see if the engine will operate. Gas goes bad and bugs build nest in them so that’s what to look for.