Lift pallet of wood pellets with front loader hack?

/ Lift pallet of wood pellets with front loader hack? #41  
I can lift a ton on pallet forks pretty easy. (bridgeport series 1 9x49 with 8" riser on a oak skid). Estimating 2200#. But only high enough to transport.

Not sure if I could lift it off of something trailer height. Loaders have the most lift capacity at ground level. And the least at max height.

In the case of the MX, the LA844 loader is rated at the 2400 to max height, but half height (59") it can lift 3030# and at ground level its 4180# at the pins. And more realistic....19.7" forward of the pins, its 1840# to max height, 2450# to 59" and ground level its 3260#

Noticeable in the real world too. I load and move alot of logs on the dump trailer. Load them with the grapple. Sometimes I can grapple a log, raise it ~1-2' to get to the trailer, then go to raise it to load and can only get 3' or 4' before it just runs outta muster and have to cut the log smaller. So maybe it was a 3000# log, and the 3260# capacity at ground level was enough to lift and move it. But to get to 59" high to clear dump trailer the log needed cut down to 2450# per spec.
My GC2610 has a much lower capacity but when I encounter this problem, I let the logs swing a bit and the loader will rise a bit higher. I also lift with the bucket in the dump position and then use the curl which has higher capacity. I've never lifted anything heavier than 900 lbs.

/ Lift pallet of wood pellets with front loader hack? #42  
Still confused about the lack of traction issue with one wheel in mud and the other dry.

I do understand a bit more on the "braking" aspect. The spider essentially locks both axles but it must also allow for different speeds of rotation while cornering but what if one front tire loses traction?

I find it really beneficial to "understand" how mechanical things work. You can use the knowledge to help fix things but I think even more importantly, how to avoid breaking things.

Tractive force in an open differential is EQUAL between both wheels.

If one wheel looses traction and cannot apply much force, neither can the other wheel.

If one wheel is in the air and spins but applies ZERO tractive force.....the other wheel is also applying ZERO tractive force. Hence EQUAL torque, UNEQUAL speed.

A limited slip/locker/spool is EQUAL speed and UNEQUAL torque. As both wheels MUST turn the same speed....but the one in the air would provide ZERO torque and the one planted will provide whatever torque it has traction to do.

With one wheel in the mud and the other on dry.....they may spin different speeds (dry one done spin and one in mud spins)....but they are BOTH applying the same torque to the ground. IF the traction and resistance of the mud requires 20ft lbs of torque to spin....then the one not spinning is ALSO applying 20 ft lbs of torque to the ground.

Thats why before lockers....there were split brakes. If a tire was in the mud and spun too easy....torque wasnt being applied to the wheel with traction. So you hit the brakes on the wheel spinning....requiring MORE torque to overcome both the mud and the brakes....that meant more torque was being applied to the tire with traction.

/ Lift pallet of wood pellets with front loader hack? #43  
Great explanation of how tractive force and torque work with differentials and limited slip systems. It's always good to understand these concepts when working with heavy machinery like front loaders.
If you're still looking for info or tips on handling pallets of wood pellets with a front loader, I'd suggest checking out some forums or resources where experienced operators share their hacks. One site I stumbled upon is www.rackbuy.co.uk. They've got some interesting discussions and insights that might come in handy for your setup.
Keep sharing knowledge and learning from others in the field. It's all about making those tasks smoother and more efficient.

Last edited:
   / Lift pallet of wood pellets with front loader hack? #44  
And probably weight on the 3PH...
In my case, nothing on the back of the M9's because I have cast centers on both. I do run with the FWA engaged however. Keep in mind that what the loader can lift at the fulcrum point and what it can lift (safely) on forks is 2 entirely different animals. The farther you get from the fulcrum point of ANY loader, the less it can lift. Mine gets a bit light on the back which is why I do it in FWA and yes, 30 psi in the front tires as well. I probably have larger tires and a heavier front axle than you do anyway. Actually, that is about the only time I use FWA. Not sure what my M's weigh but I'd assume close to 10K each.

/ Lift pallet of wood pellets with front loader hack? #45  
Nice thing about both my M9's is I can lock the front and rear axle if I need to. I rarely do however. I have 2 levers under my right foot that I can engage both the front and rear lockers or just one, if need be.

/ Lift pallet of wood pellets with front loader hack? #46  
I wonder if the OP is still (since 10-22) trying to get it unloaded.

:D

Bruce