Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,931  
Flail Master is alive, well and doing business.
Hey thanks for that do you have a contact number? I found them today and will call them later today. Thanks again!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,932  
View attachment 860372
Thanks for your help!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,934  
Good afternoon all,

I have a possible opportunity for what appears to be an older Seppi SMO 200, hydraulic offset flail mower. Images at bottom of post.

The ad copy indicates that it is a 6' cut, very heavy duty, and estimated it weighs 1000 lbs and runs it with a 60 HP case tractor. The ad description also indicates that the unit is functional, "but needs some love". It looks like the gearbox has a leaking seal or two. The hitch, frame and rear roller all look to be in straight condition.

My questions to the group:
1. I have a Kubota L48. The specs indicate a 880 lb max implement weight on the 3 point hitch. Can anyone confirm the weight of the Seppi SMO 200?

2. Can anyone confirm the HP requirements of the above referenced mower?

3. In light of what appears to be a somewhat older piece of equipment, can anyone give me any idea what parts availability might be like for a Seppi flail mower?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Doug
1712265814431.png

1712265872884.png

1712265912703.png

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,935  
Good afternoon all,

I have a possible opportunity for what appears to be an older Seppi SMO 200, hydraulic offset flail mower. Images at bottom of post.

The ad copy indicates that it is a 6' cut, very heavy duty, and estimated it weighs 1000 lbs and runs it with a 60 HP case tractor. The ad description also indicates that the unit is functional, "but needs some love". It looks like the gearbox has a leaking seal or two. The hitch, frame and rear roller all look to be in straight condition.

1. I have a Kubota L48. The specs indicate a 880 lb max implement weight on the 3 point hitch. Can anyone confirm the weight of the Seppi SMO 200?

3. In light of what appears to be a somewhat older piece of equipment, can anyone give me any idea what parts availability might be like for a Seppi flail mower?

Doug
View attachment 860639
View attachment 860640
View attachment 860641
First of all, your max weight on your 3-point hitch is 3308 lbs. for your L48 hp is 48 . . . so you have plenty hp there to do the job. It's hard to judge from pictures . . . it looks like a little older model but built med duty ?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,936  
Hi Doug,
That looks like a pretty well built older mower but as you already know it will need some work.

I would pull out the belt cover and see how the tension is adjusted - IE. is there idler or not and condition of pulleys, do the best you can to check the bearing condition etc.

It looks like there is adjustment on the gearbox output shaft so there may not be any idler at all?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,937  
First of all, your max weight on your 3-point hitch is 3308 lbs. for your L48 hp is 48 . . . so you have plenty hp there to do the job. It's hard to judge from pictures . . . it looks like a little older model but built med duty ?
Mo,

Thanks for the reply. I saw the 3000+ lb spec listed on the page 10 table. But for the max implement weight (W1)/size, the page 10 table refers the reader to the table on page 11, where the 880 lbs is noted. The 880 seems rather light to me.

I guess the main question really is- what is the weight of the implement, which will be a little bit of a mystery to unravel.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Doug

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,938  
Hi Doug,
That looks like a pretty well built older mower but as you already know it will need some work.

I would pull out the belt cover and see how the tension is adjusted - IE. is there idler or not and condition of pulleys, do the best you can to check the bearing condition etc.

It looks like there is adjustment on the gearbox output shaft so there may not be any idler at all?
Arto,

It is good to hear from you. There does seem to be some sort of adjustment visible on the output shaft. I would like to see a manual for the mystery machine, but that may be just wishful thinking. When I get the chance to see the machine in person, I will keep your suggestions in mind.

Thanks you,
Doug

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,939  
Good afternoon all,

Doug
View attachment 860639
View attachment 860640
View attachment 860641
I have an SMO 250 that looks like this mower only it is a little larger. I have ran mine with a New Holland T-2410 55hp total. It would rum the mower no problems. I always thought the tractor a little lite for this mower. I now have a tym t-700 and am getting the mower ready to run on the more powerful, heavier tractor. I spoke with Flail Master and they are working on getting me new hammers, bolts, and nuts so I can be ready for mowing season. I am hoping someone else can chime in with parts info as well.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,940  
Good afternoon all,

Doug
View attachment 860639
View attachment 860640
View attachment 860641
Here is a number for Seppi M in america---
Seppi m contact number Ohio.PNG