Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,731  
Mine is the opposite. I have the Y grass knives and it will mow a lawn quite well.

I'm not hard on my flail mower. But I have munched up small saplings with no knife damage. Still look as new as I got them.

99% of the time it's mowed where it's already been mowed. Or it's mowing my regular lawn Kentucky blue grass where there is no brush.

In fact, every few mows, I'll swap the MMM to the flail to get the striping and have a different machine cut the grass.

Also for whatever reason, when I use the flail mower, I don't need to mow as often versus the rotary MMM. Maybe leonz knows why...

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,732  
Just bought a FL 165. Giving to mow just a flat mostly 2 acre yard. Have a 2025r John Deere. Took it in a practice run but grass was low. Has a M10 shear pin on the coupling yoke. Being this for more hp then mine thinking of putting smaller dia shear pin. The thing runs almost silently.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,733  
I think generally speaking, more flails means a finer cut. It can also mean more maintenance. And flails made for finer work, might not be as suited to munching up brush and sticks. So kinda depends what you're gonna be mowing. My 60 inch mower only has 14 hammers, but each one is over 3 pounds and they look like a metal bear claw. But I don't mow lawns. I use it to munch up brush and weeds and so far it has been an amazing tool for that.
Just bought a FL 165. Giving to mow just a flat mostly 2 acre yard. Have a 2025r John Deere. Took it in a practice run but grass was low. Has a M10 shear pin on the coupling yoke. Being this for more hp then mine thinking of putting smaller dia shear pin. The thing runs almost silently.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,734  
moparcar, as a member of "Flail Nation" welcome!

Shear pin is likely of no concern. Belts will slip before any loads sufficient to cause problems. If there weren't belts THEN there would be a concern. But for you, mowing light grass, I'll wager that you're never going to run into any issues that would result in breakage. (assumes, that is, that what lies within the grass isn't more than just grass)

BTW - Add your JD to your user info 👍

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,735  
moparcar, as a member of "Flail Nation" welcome!

Shear pin is likely of no concern. Belts will slip before any loads sufficient to cause problems. If there weren't belts THEN there would be a concern. But for you, mowing light grass, I'll wager that you're never going to run into any issues that would result in breakage. (assumes, that is, that what lies within the grass isn't more than just grass)

BTW - Add your JD to your user info 👍
Thank you. I wager you are on spot on. Had farm tractors over the year and Illinois it was rare to hit a rock. Moved to Texas for 12 years and hogged more rocks then brush. A year now in Tennessee and taking life easier and this flail will make it easier still. Appreciate you respone. Dave

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,736  
Hello moparcar,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the Flail Mower Nations from the great state of Tennessee.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,737  
Time to sharpen all the hammers on my mower - Going to figure out an easy way to do this with lying on the ground. Initially thinking of lifting it with the bucket and a chain.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,738  
Mine are due for a sharpening as well.

I raise the 3pt and shorten the hyd. top link. That gives me plenty of room to sharpen while sitting on a stool.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,739  
Time to sharpen all the hammers on my mower - Going to figure out an easy way to do this with lying on the ground. Initially thinking of lifting it with the bucket and a chain.
When I replaced the blades on my Caroni last year I found rolling it over backwards on the ground worked really well. I did plug the gearbox breather plug first. That way I knew it was stable and wouldn’t squish me 😁
1679665163049.jpeg

1679665080009.jpeg

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,740  
Mine are due for a sharpening as well.

I raise the 3pt and shorten the hyd. top link. That gives me plenty of room to sharpen while sitting on a stool.
Don't forget the jack stands!