Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,711  
Found a prize today. Sold a box blade and the buyer suggested I try this farm equipment place a bit down the highway. Pull in there sits three Alamo SH88 flails right up front. Two marked $1595 and one a little rougher marked $1295. Blades on the one I bought look brand new, still sharp
IMG_20221021_154645_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
IMG_20221021_154627_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,712  
Found a prize today. Sold a box blade and the buyer suggested I try this farm equipment place a bit down the highway. Pull in there sits three Alamo SH88 flails right up front. Two marked $1595 and one a little rougher marked $1295. Blades on the one I bought look brand new, still sharpView attachment 767298View attachment 767299

Hello and good morning nova3930,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the "Flail Mower Nations" from North Alabama.

Ask plenty of questions, order spare knives, buy new belts and prepare for a great mowing experience.

DO NOT pump more than 6 pumps of high temperature grease in the Flail Mower Rotor bearings or the
rear roller bearings.

Happy Mowing

"ROLL TIDE"

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,713  
I appreciate it but I'm not all that new lol. This will make #3 I've had because of all y'all. It is by far the nicest.

And there ain't no roll tide in my house. We're a MS State family.....but they gonna lay a hunnert on us today.... :(

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,714  
Hello,
Last year for work I received a few quotes for 75hp tractor and flail mower. The JD dealers all quoted theirs with the JD 390 mower. The one New Holland dealer quoted us for a 82" Del Morino with hydraulic side shift. For a few reasons we didnt purchase the machine last year, but are looking into it again. This time opting for a center pull mower so that we can more easily squeeze through rows of trees. Trying to keep the quote low, the New Holland dealer now is quoting us for a 87" Sundown, because he said the center pull DelMorino is heavier and costs twice as much. This machine will be used to mow on wetland restoration sites and we want it to last, so I don't think it's bad to pay a few more thousand for a better mower (especially considering the total cost for the entire package).

So, what are your preferences/opinions on those two brands of flail mowers?

Thanks.

- John

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,715  
I'm far from an expert but those sure look like the ironcraft we talked about a page or so ago and those are a repainted Italian unit.....

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,716  
I would feel better if it was Del Morino or JD390, if they cannot or will no tell you
what brand of mower that sundown mower is I would walk away.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,717  
Can anyone (leonz?) tell me about this flail? I'm going to look at it and can't find much information on it. From what I can tell, its a Mathews Company Model 7 HDO. From prior posts it seems blades may still be available through a Mathews dealer. I'm look to run this on 50 pto hp for field and brush mowing...maybe some near-finish mowing by the road.

Attachments

• 20221029_192717.jpg
    20221029_192717.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 118
  • received_510223511010259.jpeg
    received_510223511010259.jpeg
    770.9 KB · Views: 124
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,718  
That flail crop shredder is a Mathews Company cup knife flail mower.
It is a heavy-duty crop shredder mower.

The cup knives do not get changed unless they are cracked or broken or become really dull.

You can purchase an economical wet well grinder from the folks at www.micromark.com to
cool grind the knives to prevent them from losing the temper and becoming brittle.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,719  
I'm far from an expert but those sure look like the ironcraft we talked about a page or so ago and those are a repainted Italian unit.....
Thanks! I'll look into it a little more.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,720  
I would feel better if it was Del Morino or JD390, if they cannot or will no tell you
what brand of mower that sundown mower is I would walk away.
Thank you. I'll ask for him to quote the DelMorino.