Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,701  
Is a used John Deere 25A, 290 or 390 out of the question??
Shoot if I could find one.... There's a pretty new 25a not far off from my childhood home. My pops might could go get it.

Course I like the idea of having at least one new implement I know doesn't require work prior to the main job of the day....

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,702  
I would ask your dad to take a look with cash in hand if at all possible as parts are
still available and they are very easy to maintain and repair if needed.

The 25A that my dad had was a great mower. His tractor the 1953 Ford Jubilee had
a 6 volt electrical system that gave him fits.

He mowed in 4 acre blocks every two weeks to keep the pasture free of weeds.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,703  
I would ask your dad to take a look with cash in hand if at all possible as parts are
still available and they are very easy to maintain and repair if needed.

The 25A that my dad had was a great mower. His tractor the 1953 Ford Jubilee had
a 6 volt electrical system that gave him fits.

He mowed in 4 acre blocks every two weeks to keep the pasture free of weeds.
I always looks close to me and family first but looking a little further out, there's a Tiger TRF-90 and a Diamond about 3 hours away in TN. The tiger is only $2500 but the Tiger website says you need 65hp tractor to run it. That seems way high....

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,704  
I always looks close to me and family first but looking a little further out, there's a Tiger TRF-90 and a Diamond about 3 hours away in TN. The tiger is only $2500 but the Tiger website says you need 65hp tractor to run it. That seems way high....
I got an Alamo SHD96 and had no HP issues running it wi either my IH 424 or my NH TC45DA, but the weight of it was really hard on the 3 point linkage.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,705  
Pops jubilee had 20 horsepower and 15 horsepower at the PTO and never had an issue with running the 25A flail mower he bought brand new.

I would seriously consider buying the 25A as parts are available and there is a JD dealer network.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,706  
Pops jubilee had 20 horsepower and 15 horsepower at the PTO and never had an issue with running the 25A flail mower he bought brand new.

I would seriously consider buying the 25A as parts are available and there is a JD dealer network.
I messaged him a couple questions. If he gets back to me I migh just do it. If it's listed for $3k can probably get it for less.

Also emailed the tiger sales rep asking why they say they need so much HP. That's just out of pure curiosity.....

Thinking more I'm considering the fuel and time saved by having a wider mower....

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,707  
I messaged him a couple questions. If he gets back to me I might just do it. If it's listed for $3k can probably get it for less.

Also emailed the tiger sales rep asking why they say they need so much HP. That's just out of pure curiosity.....

Thinking more I'm considering the fuel and time saved by having a wider mower....
They have to edit thier literature as they have made mistakes in naming the flail knives orbit diameter.

The literature infers that the flail mowers rotor which is the steel tube the knife weldment ears are welded
to and what the knife hangers are attached to is much larger in diameter than it actually is.

If the flail mower knife tip to tip circumference when spinning was actually 58 1/2" the flail mower rotor hood
would be over 5 foot in diameter in size.

Buy the john deere 25A

If you get a wider mower over 7 foot in cut your going to slow right down when mowing

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,708  
If you get a wider mower over 7 foot in cut your going to slow right down when mowing
Yeah I was talking about the JD being wider compared to the fmh175. It's got 9" more cut width. I've got 38HP at the pto per spec so I was figuring 7-7.5 ft being my max....

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,709  
For reference, I run a Woodmaxx FM-62, 62 inch (5.1 feet) flail mower on a BX2200. PTO is probably 16hp on a good day. Runs very well. It is a heavy implement though.

On foot tall grass I can do normal grass mowing speed as if I was mowing my regular lawn. So a 78 inch 25A should be fine on a 38 HP machine like Leonz is stating.

I do like being part of Flail Mower Nations. :)

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,710  
Guess the dude with the JD don't wanna sell it. Won't answer a few simple questions with me saying "cash in hand ready to buy". I got something for sale and you say cash in hand I'm gonna answer any questions you got ASAP.

Honestly I'm tempted to go cheap and buy that chambers American 7.5ft I found. If I can get it for $1000 won't matter if I can get parts. Run it till it dies and find another one....

That would leave me with several thousand $ for other implements I need too.