Learn Me About JD 5E Series

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series #1  

lincmercguy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5105, JD 5055E
So insurance is totaling my 5105. I've been looking around at used 5E series tractors, so I'm curious about what others think about them. I've read through the 5045E thread, and there is a lot of useful information there, so thank you to those who responded to that one.

I'm thinking a 5055, 5065 or maybe even a 5075 if I find the right deal. I definitely want a loader and MFWD.

From what I've read in the other thread, it sounds like I would want the SyncShuttle transmission and not the PowrReverser. I grew up with everything having a regular transmission and dry clutch and it sounds like they are a simpler design as well. One question though, it seems like all of the units with cabs have the PowrReverser. Is this true? I'm not dead set on a cab.

Are there any years to watch out for as far as emissions or common problems? Or do I have to get to the older 25 series to get out of the emissions crap? Whatever I get, I would just leave stock. I'm used to dealing with DPF in my truck, making sure I work it hard once in a while and don't just make a bunch of short trips.

Anything I should check specifically when I look at one other than normal things to check? I'll probably avoid any high-hours units.

I know there are a lot of deals out there right now on new 5045's, but I'd rather go with more HP.

I thought about looking at Kubota as they have a great dealer here. However, I don't really care for hydrostatic transmissions and all of the newer ones in this class seem to have them.

Thanks in advance!

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series
It might also involve a road trip for me. There are a couple around here, but most of the used ones close seem to be in the NE/KS/OK/TX areas.

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series #3  
I have two 5xxx ... The 5065 has the power reverser. I thought it would be much better than the shuttle sync on the 5200. It's not... considering the added expense and complexity. The hydraulic clutch is hard to feather to inch the tractor. But then I've used the shuttle sync for 26 years.

How do you like the 5065 otherwise?

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series #5  
The loaders Deere puts on those tractors are not well matched at all, they are way too long, and the tractor's rear end is way too light and way too narrow. Our 5085 has a cab, loaded tires, and wheel weights, and I can put it on three wheels without even trying. If your primary use is as a loader tractor I would look literally anywhere else.

The loaders Deere puts on those tractors are not well matched at all, they are way too long, and the tractor's rear end is way too light and way too narrow. Our 5085 has a cab, loaded tires, and wheel weights, and I can put it on three wheels without even trying. If your primary use is as a loader tractor I would look literally anywhere else.
What would you look at?

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series #7  
I have a 5055e of the 2009 vintage so no DEF. I also have the 553 loader on it and have not had any problems. I have used the tractor moving stuff with the loader and nothing on the 3ph, but it's all been light weight stuff like taking the trash can out to the road. I don't know if it's possible to lift a tire with the loader and I'm not about to try it to see. I normally have about 1000# on the back of the tractor (bush hog or grader blade or backhoe).

Went to the dealer in town today with the intention of trying out a 2wd 5065e to see how I like the tractor overall. That one had sold, ut they have a 2017 5055 with a cab and loader and only 150 hours that seems really nice. Might have to think about it even with the power reverser.

/ Learn Me About JD 5E Series #9  
So insurance is totaling my 5105. I've been looking around at used 5E series tractors, so I'm curious about what others think about them. I've read through the 5045E thread, and there is a lot of useful information there, so thank you to those who responded to that one.

I'm thinking a 5055, 5065 or maybe even a 5075 if I find the right deal. I definitely want a loader and MFWD.

From what I've read in the other thread, it sounds like I would want the SyncShuttle transmission and not the PowrReverser. I grew up with everything having a regular transmission and dry clutch and it sounds like they are a simpler design as well. One question though, it seems like all of the units with cabs have the PowrReverser. Is this true? I'm not dead set on a cab.

Are there any years to watch out for as far as emissions or common problems? Or do I have to get to the older 25 series to get out of the emissions crap? Whatever I get, I would just leave stock. I'm used to dealing with DPF in my truck, making sure I work it hard once in a while and don't just make a bunch of short trips.

Anything I should check specifically when I look at one other than normal things to check? I'll probably avoid any high-hours units.

I know there are a lot of deals out there right now on new 5045's, but I'd rather go with more HP.

I thought about looking at Kubota as they have a great dealer here. However, I don't really care for hydrostatic transmissions and all of the newer ones in this class seem to have them.

Thanks in advance!

There are several generations of 3 cylinder 5Es which include the 5055E/5065E/5075E but since you mentioned "used," you will be looking at one of the Tier 2 (2008-2012), interim Tier 4 (2013-14), first generation final Tier 4 (2015-17) and second generation final Tier 4 (2018-2022.) There is also new generation that has been released in the last month. Do note that the 5105 is physically smaller than the 3 cylinder 5Es as the 5x05s were based on a smaller, lighter chassis. The 3 cylinder 5Es are the same size as the 3 cylinder 5x00, 5x10, 5x20, and 5x03 units.

- The Tier 2 units are the units with the flat fenders and are essentially just the 5x03 units with the 5E numbering scheme. They do not have the Tier 4 emissions parts such as exhaust filters. They are all open station with dry clutch transmissions, an unsynchronized unit on 2WD versions and the SyncShuttle/TSS transmission on MFWD units. Note that the Tier 2 5055Es are all MFWD as the 2WDs were 5055Ds on a different chassis. 5065Es and 5075Es could be either 2WD or MFWD.
- The final Tier 4 units have common rail turbocharged and intercooled engines with a particulate filter (none have DEF as they are 75 HP and under.) They are available as open station 2WD with the TSS transmission, open station MFWD with either the TSS or wet clutch PowrReverser, cabbed MFWD with either transmission, or on some of the later (I believe 2020-22) units, cabbed 2WD with either transmission. There was a modest redesign in 2018 to make the hood shorter and put the throttle on the right fender.
- Interim Tier 4 fits somewhere in between the Tier 2 and final Tier 4 units with features. I have not seen very many of these so cannot say definitively how they were set up.

It was possible to get a cabbed unit with the TSS transmission but I'd never seen any MFWD 5055E, 5065E, or 5075E, either open station or cabbed, with anything except the PowrReverser. The only cabbed 5E I'd seen in person with the TSS transmission was a 2WD cabbed 5075E. The only open station MFWDs with the TSS I've seen have been 5045Es as you could not get a 5045E with a PowrReverser (or a cab.) I also prefer the dry clutch of the TSS but I have used a PowrReverser as well and it is okay. It doesn't have clutch feel as it's a wet clutch unit. Feathering the clutch is much different, you don't feather the clutch by feeling it start to engage like on a dry clutch, you "feather" it in how quickly you lift the pedal. There is a learning curve with this and in general I don't like it as much. Reverse is also about 10% faster than forward in the same gear, which takes getting used to. Most of the PowrReverser units have economy PTO which was not an option on TSS 5Es but was an option on the 5x10/5x20 with that same transmission. You also get an extra gear in every range with the PowrReverser.

Some of the Tier 2 units were noted to have some issues with the rockshaft hydraulics and brakes. Supposedly these were fixed by the Tier 4 units came out, and definitely they were fixed by the 2018+ units. In general the 5 series units are solid. The transmissions and the general chassis have been around since the early 1990s, and the 2.9 L three cylinder engine used in the 75 HP and under 5E/5000 series units excepting the 5225 and 5325 is a solid unit that has been used since the 1970s.

Kubota doesn't offer a hydrostatic transmission in the M5660SU, M6060, and M7060, which are their competitors to the 5E 3 cylinder line. They only offer hydrostatic transmissions in the MX line which is a noticeably smaller tractor than a 5 series Deere. Kubota only offers a wet clutch reverser gear transmission similar to the PowrReverser but missing one range in the M60 line, except in a few M7060s where it has all three ranges.

Deere offers three loaders on the 5E units, the 512, 520M/H240, and 540M/H260. The 512 only fits on the 3 cylinder 2WDs. The 520M fits on all 5Es including the 4 cylinder ones, although it was an unofficial combination on the 2WD 3 cylinders. The 540M fits on the 4 cylinder 5Es only. The 512 is a good fit on a 3 cylinder 5E and is not that much smaller than the 553 or the old 540/541/542 on the 5x10/5x20 tractors. The 520M is a pretty large loader on a 3 cylinder 5E and much larger than a 553 loader, it is closer in size to the 563. The 520M seems to fit better on the 4 cylinder versions which are somewhat larger than the 3 cylinder units. The 540M is a big loader on the 4 cylinder units. The 512 loader is not really removable, the 520M and 540M are quick-detach.

I have one of the later final Tier 4 5075Es, open station 2WD with the TSS transmission and the 512 loader. I find this to be a solid, simple, reliable, and handy unit. It does have a DPF on it but no DEF or EGR. The only thing the emissions equipment does is regenerate exactly every 100 hours as long as the tractor is allowed to get warmed up on a semi-regular basis and not idled all of the time or run for only 30 seconds at a time a bunch. The 512 fits the tractor like loaders used to fit tractors, as in it doesn't stick six feet out in front of the tractor and the masts don't stick two feet above the hood.