leaking carb

/ leaking carb #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
have a 9 hp Briggs Vanguard. forgot to open fuel shut off valve, & engine ran gas dry & of course stopped. when i opened the valve, i now have fuel leaking out of the housing. the carb mounting bolts are tight. could a float sticking open cause a carb to leak & over flow from the housing?...would rather not tear into carb until i get some feedback ideas... thanks in advance

/ leaking carb #2  
Try tapping on the carb.If the needle is sticking it might loosen it up.

/ leaking carb #3  
Sticking float needle would be if float chamber was full. When fuel is drained, float drops and needle valve opens. A float needle valve open would certainly leak gas. Sounds like a gasket dried out? How long was it w/o fuel?
Also, don't be afraid to open up the carb, just have a clean space and take pix as you disassemble.
Jim

/ leaking carb #4  
It is not unusual for a float to mechanically hang up when/if a carb is run completely dry. It is also not unusual that a few taps on the float bowl will free it up and restore proper operation. A plastic screwdriver handle is usually a sufficient tapping tool.

/ leaking carb #5  
I agree, but if the needle stuck closed it wouldn't be leaking, right?
Jim

/ leaking carb #6  
As a float drops it opens the needle to allow fuel to refill the bowl. If it runs dry, it drops lower than normal and can get stuck, which then leaves the needle open, which allows an endless flow of fuel to the bowl. I'd try to tap it as suggested. Then open it if needed.

/ leaking carb #7  
This is a common problem on B&S engines. They even started putting a solenoid on the bottom of the bowl to stop the flow of fuel to the carb when the key is turned off. I've seen several engines burned up at the local junkyard, when I pulled the dipstick out the crankcase was full of fuel. I have one now that has this problem & have yet been able to find a solution other than turning the fuel off when I'm finished mowing. I suspect that a lot of the time the fuel goes directly into the crankcase instead of leaking externally & the operator does not catch it as most consumers don't chech the oil before each use as they should.