latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews.

/ latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews. #141  
CJs were made 40 years ago. Not comparable to current models.
I disagree. Built by the same crew that really don't care... I could tell you stories about their 'race to the bottom' but it would take pages. I got to witness it first hand. Our yard and terminal was next door. Nothing has changed in that respect. Extremely comparable.

They build the engines for most of them at 'Global Engine' in Dundee, Michigan, which is about 7 miles due east of the farm. Same deal there. I put a lot of the complacent or should I say lazy attitudes on the UAW and their contract. Fords is no different and neither is GM but, in the case of GM, GM workers learned the hard way what happens in a downturn like went down in Flint some years ago. They have a bit different attitude about the products they build. I got to see all of it first hand, delivering steel to all of them. Keep in mind that with Fiat especially, a lot of their engines come over in a shipping container from Italy or wherever and are not even built here, just 'installed' here.

Same applied to my Focus RS. The engine I have in mine was built in Germany and came over in a container and was 'installed' at Wayne Assembly. The engine was 100% offshore made, but I will say that the Germans take a lot more pride in what they build than their American counterparts. Not that they are without issues. You don't build a 2.2 Liter motor that outputs over 320 ponies that transmits power through a ZF 6 speed single dry clutch transmission that is without issue. People flog them and don't maintain them and then issues arise. Key word there is maintain properly and prior to purchasing it, I researched the vehicle very carefully including who the original owner was and it was a black female so I knew she didn't flog it too much. If it had been a younger male, I would have never considered it. Only thing was, all the pre sets on the radio were 'soul stations' and that got changed immediately. Too bad Fords decided to discontinue the Focus, especially the RS Turbo model as it's really a supercar. I can very handily blow off a 5 liter Mustang in a drag anytime I want to, which is very rare because at 74, I'm not a racer, I'm an old man.

Nice thing about it is, at least here in Michigan, it insures as a 'station wagon' with no mention of the high performance engine or suspension so it's a relative cheap date to insure. 4 wheel drilled and vented rotors with 4 piston calipers and Koni remote reservoir shocks, limited slip front wheel drive and huge 50 series tires. Fun car that gets 40 mpg so long as I drive it sanely, which I do 99% of the time. Only roller skate I ever drove that can literally peg the speedo on any e-way on ramp and it has a 150 mph clock btw. No problem merging with traffic...lol. I don't do that regularly but I can if I want to. Most times it gets short shifted and driven like the econo car it's supposed to be...

I do like it and today, I don't worry about it getting stolen either as most car thief's cannot drive a 6 speed manual anyway.

We live in a PRNDL society today. No Valet parking for us, they cannot drive it... If we go to a fancy beanery, we take the Burb anyway. They can drive that...lol

I don't much care what you purchase, your money, not mine and no, we don't buy offshore made (even if made here but owned by an offshore entity (and that includes 'Jeep' vehicles. You'll only find Ford and GM products in this driveway and the only Ford products we own were recommended by my BIL who is a high level engineer at Fords in Dearborn and he knows, he was the main designer of the new Fords 10 speed slush box and no, I won't have one of them either. If you do own one, his suggestion is, service it at half the recommended service intervals.

Why I bought an off lease Focus RS Turbo. It has the 6 speed manual, single dry clutch box, not the troublesome dual plate servo shifted trans which was and is a bomb when they get some miles on them and my wife has a Suburban LTZ with the bulletproof Allison under the floorboards. We always purchase off lease vehicles, no exception, preferably with some balance of the factory warranty left on them and then we extend that but only with the OEM extended warranty, not any aftermarket one.

These new smaller displacement engines and multi speed transmissions require conscientious service, gone are the days where you can 'put it off because'. This new stuff with their high output small displacement engines and complex transmissions require that or they will fail and fail in a spectacular way and that really applies to the Ford Eco Boost engines which I'm somewhat familiar with, same applies to their 10 speed slush box.

They are all over priced IMO. Why we buy only off lease dealer maintained vehicles. Why should we take the depreciation hit, let the original buyer, leasor pay that. We ale also careful as to what dealer it is as well. Like my wife's LTZ. It stickered for 100 grand and she got it off lease for half that. First thing I did to her Burb was I deleted the troublesome cylinder deactivation. Not only is it mechanical issue but it caused the engine to consume oil. Wasn't too difficult but required pulling the intake manifold and the valley cover and replacing the electronic controlled lifters with mechanical ones. Since I did that, it quit using oil and the fuel milage didn't decrease, not that it gets good fuel mileage in the first place. it's a big vehicle and heavy and mileage sucks but she don't care and I don't fuel it so I don't care either.

Same way with my Focus RS Turbo. Stickered for 26 and I got it for 11. Always cash, we don't 'romance the finance' ever. Only thing we finance is the farm equipment because we can depreciate it and write it off. That is it. Vehicles, no way.

BTW, I just bought and paid for an F2880 Kubota diesel front mount 72" mower that came from the local Fair board and was always maintained by my dealer and he went through it before I got it. All fluids and filters changed, new blades, new rollers and caster wheels and it's a side discharge btw and very complete and no paint scuffs or anything on it either. They bought 2 new ones and I bought one of their old ones. Even the seat is pristine. Was always parked inside, out of the elements and he took my CC M60 Tank in trade. Probably paid too much for it but, maybe not. Only money right. Cash again. I trust my dealer 100%. One, he is a personal friend of ours and two, I work for him part time delivering tractors and stuff and fiddle in the shop, helping out when needed. He has a pile of new Kubota's out front too. All different models as well. Just not too many of the really big ones, but a few. Must have counted at least 50 new loader buckets lined up out front. Maybe the economy isn't so hot, but it's hot up there. All I know is, not only myself but he's also delivering them as well and mostly all new equipment though he does have some older Kubota's out back. Got my eye on an ancient B with a hydrostat and front wheel assist in nice condition (could stand a paint job as it's faded like all Kubota's seem to do). Has good rubber on it (turf tires) and a mower deck. Was my first Kubota many, many years ago and always has had a warm place in my heart for it. I may buy it just for kicks and grins, who knows. Take it apart and completely restore it and park it in the shop. Keith ( the owner) collects them as well.

I really don't care what you drive or how you pay for it. All over priced and I see no point in paying finance charges, ever. Enjoy them I say.

/ latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews. #142  
Sorry, thought they were talking Bronco Sport, 28 highway
The Bronco 2 Sport is nothing but an Escape with different sheet metal. The chassis is the same, unibody, no frame rails at all. If I was going to purchase one, I'd just buy an Escape AWD and be done with it.

I find the Bronco 2 to be somewhat fugly myself. If I was ever to buy one (I'm not), I'd buy a full sized one and be done with it. The Bronco 2 isn't really a capable off road vehicle in the first place. It lacks ground clearance and the suspension articulation to be an even marginally viable off road vehicle. It's more of a suburbanite 'wannabe' off road poser than anything else and it's way too over priced as well. Soccer mom vehicle to haul the kiddies around in and pick up groceries with and 'pose' and that is about it. The other day, I saw a full sized new Bronco all dressed up with huge fender flares and big wheels and aggressive tires and I shuddered to think what the payment was on it and candidly I thought it was fugly as well. It was painted in bright orange as well. Least it was a somewhat capable off road machine, not that it would ever get muddy anyway. it was a poser as well, but a much more expensive poser.

Like all these new pickup trucks with their 'standard' running boards on them. Those factory running boards are nothing but dirt collectors and corrosion enhancers. My wife's LTZ came with them and I promptly removed them and sold them on FB Marketplace. Worthless stuff. I installed a set of molded mudflaps and called it good. My opinion of them is, they look mostly like crap as well, and they corrode and cause the rockers to rust out before their time.

/ latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews. #143  
I disagree. Built by the same crew that really don't care... I could tell you stories about their 'race to the bottom' but it would take pages. I got to witness it first hand. Our yard and terminal was next door. Nothing has changed in that respect. Extremely comparable.

They build the engines for most of them at 'Global Engine' in Dundee, Michigan, which is about 7 miles due east of the farm. Same deal there. I put a lot of the complacent or should I say lazy attitudes on the UAW and their contract. Fords is no different and neither is GM but, in the case of GM, GM workers learned the hard way what happens in a downturn like went down in Flint some years ago. They have a bit different attitude about the products they build. I got to see all of it first hand, delivering steel to all of them. Keep in mind that with Fiat especially, a lot of their engines come over in a shipping container from Italy or wherever and are not even built here, just 'installed' here.

Same applied to my Focus RS. The engine I have in mine was built in Germany and came over in a container and was 'installed' at Wayne Assembly. The engine was 100% offshore made, but I will say that the Germans take a lot more pride in what they build than their American counterparts. Not that they are without issues. You don't build a 2.2 Liter motor that outputs over 320 ponies that transmits power through a ZF 6 speed single dry clutch transmission that is without issue. People flog them and don't maintain them and then issues arise. Key word there is maintain properly and prior to purchasing it, I researched the vehicle very carefully including who the original owner was and it was a black female so I knew she didn't flog it too much. If it had been a younger male, I would have never considered it. Only thing was, all the pre sets on the radio were 'soul stations' and that got changed immediately. Too bad Fords decided to discontinue the Focus, especially the RS Turbo model as it's really a supercar. I can very handily blow off a 5 liter Mustang in a drag anytime I want to, which is very rare because at 74, I'm not a racer, I'm an old man.

Nice thing about it is, at least here in Michigan, it insures as a 'station wagon' with no mention of the high performance engine or suspension so it's a relative cheap date to insure. 4 wheel drilled and vented rotors with 4 piston calipers and Koni remote reservoir shocks, limited slip front wheel drive and huge 50 series tires. Fun car that gets 40 mpg so long as I drive it sanely, which I do 99% of the time. Only roller skate I ever drove that can literally peg the speedo on any e-way on ramp and it has a 150 mph clock btw. No problem merging with traffic...lol. I don't do that regularly but I can if I want to. Most times it gets short shifted and driven like the econo car it's supposed to be...

I do like it and today, I don't worry about it getting stolen either as most car thief's cannot drive a 6 speed manual anyway.

We live in a PRNDL society today. No Valet parking for us, they cannot drive it... If we go to a fancy beanery, we take the Burb anyway. They can drive that...lol

I don't much care what you purchase, your money, not mine and no, we don't buy offshore made (even if made here but owned by an offshore entity (and that includes 'Jeep' vehicles. You'll only find Ford and GM products in this driveway and the only Ford products we own were recommended by my BIL who is a high level engineer at Fords in Dearborn and he knows, he was the main designer of the new Fords 10 speed slush box and no, I won't have one of them either. If you do own one, his suggestion is, service it at half the recommended service intervals.

Why I bought an off lease Focus RS Turbo. It has the 6 speed manual, single dry clutch box, not the troublesome dual plate servo shifted trans which was and is a bomb when they get some miles on them and my wife has a Suburban LTZ with the bulletproof Allison under the floorboards. We always purchase off lease vehicles, no exception, preferably with some balance of the factory warranty left on them and then we extend that but only with the OEM extended warranty, not any aftermarket one.

These new smaller displacement engines and multi speed transmissions require conscientious service, gone are the days where you can 'put it off because'. This new stuff with their high output small displacement engines and complex transmissions require that or they will fail and fail in a spectacular way and that really applies to the Ford Eco Boost engines which I'm somewhat familiar with, same applies to their 10 speed slush box.

They are all over priced IMO. Why we buy only off lease dealer maintained vehicles. Why should we take the depreciation hit, let the original buyer, leasor pay that. We ale also careful as to what dealer it is as well. Like my wife's LTZ. It stickered for 100 grand and she got it off lease for half that. First thing I did to her Burb was I deleted the troublesome cylinder deactivation. Not only is it mechanical issue but it caused the engine to consume oil. Wasn't too difficult but required pulling the intake manifold and the valley cover and replacing the electronic controlled lifters with mechanical ones. Since I did that, it quit using oil and the fuel milage didn't decrease, not that it gets good fuel mileage in the first place. it's a big vehicle and heavy and mileage sucks but she don't care and I don't fuel it so I don't care either.

Same way with my Focus RS Turbo. Stickered for 26 and I got it for 11. Always cash, we don't 'romance the finance' ever. Only thing we finance is the farm equipment because we can depreciate it and write it off. That is it. Vehicles, no way.

BTW, I just bought and paid for an F2880 Kubota diesel front mount 72" mower that came from the local Fair board and was always maintained by my dealer and he went through it before I got it. All fluids and filters changed, new blades, new rollers and caster wheels and it's a side discharge btw and very complete and no paint scuffs or anything on it either. They bought 2 new ones and I bought one of their old ones. Even the seat is pristine. Was always parked inside, out of the elements and he took my CC M60 Tank in trade. Probably paid too much for it but, maybe not. Only money right. Cash again. I trust my dealer 100%. One, he is a personal friend of ours and two, I work for him part time delivering tractors and stuff and fiddle in the shop, helping out when needed. He has a pile of new Kubota's out front too. All different models as well. Just not too many of the really big ones, but a few. Must have counted at least 50 new loader buckets lined up out front. Maybe the economy isn't so hot, but it's hot up there. All I know is, not only myself but he's also delivering them as well and mostly all new equipment though he does have some older Kubota's out back. Got my eye on an ancient B with a hydrostat and front wheel assist in nice condition (could stand a paint job as it's faded like all Kubota's seem to do). Has good rubber on it (turf tires) and a mower deck. Was my first Kubota many, many years ago and always has had a warm place in my heart for it. I may buy it just for kicks and grins, who knows. Take it apart and completely restore it and park it in the shop. Keith ( the owner) collects them as well.

I really don't care what you drive or how you pay for it. All over priced and I see no point in paying finance charges, ever. Enjoy them I say.
I’m happy that you like what you drive. The engineering design, engine, transmission, and everything about the current Wranglers aren’t comparable to 40 year old CJ models, and neither is any vehicle made by any company. A lot of changes have occurred in the automotive industry in the past 40 years. Whatever you think of these changes, I have owned 4 Jeeps and have sold the prior 3 each with 250-300k miles, mostly trouble free and without engine rebuilds. The oldest was a 1998 model Cherokee. Few 40 year old vehicle models had drivetrains that last over 250k miles without rebuilding, and the handling and creature comforts of the current models are a huge improvement.

/ latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews. #144  
Don't matter to me one way or another. I will never have one, new or used or abused or not is not germane. The one I had years ago, spent more time at the dealer than I spent driving it and it was uncomfortable and drove like crap especially on the freeway. It was cold in the winter as well and got terrible fuel mileage not that it was important because back then, high priced fuel was a non issue, unlike today. All I know is my wife's Burb takes almost 100 bucks to fill it but I don't fuel it anyway, she does. Only 4wd vehicle I ever owned that could instantly swap ends on a snowy road with no warning. Got fed up with 'visiting' it at the dealer and offed it and bought a 'normal' vehicle instead. It was a turd, an expensive turd to boot.

Even my 97 Ford F350 diesel pickup truck that I still own was more comfortable and stable on the road. Nice thing about it is, being an OBS truck, it's actually worth what I paid for it new today. OBS Ford diesels really hold their value and are sought after by people in the 'know'. It's mint btw. Never seen Michigan snow or salt. Kind of hard to get in and out of however, sits way too high for this old man. Gets maintained religiously as well. I need to get it out of the heated garage and do an oil change and grease it and get it ready for farm chores and haul the truck camper up north to our property up there.

/ latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews. #145  
ArlyA - What color did you order? Any idea on a delivery date yet?

I remember back in the "old days" (2004) it was great sport on the Ford Truck Enthusiast web site for people to track their truck orders in the countdown to delivery. I wonder if you can still do that through Ford's web site?

I guess I am a purist and just like the fact that the B Sport doesn't try to pretend to be something it's not. I'm sure you could probably take the big Bronco "off road" but seriously doubt there are very many people who will actually be using a $90,000 vehicle for that purpose.

I noticed the big orange Bronco in the test drive did not have the big black plastic fender flares. I didn't know you could get it without them.

Last edited:
   / latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews.

I remember back in the "old days" (2004) it was great sport on the Ford Truck Enthusiast web site for people to track their truck orders in the countdown to delivery. I wonder if you can still do that through Ford's web site?

I guess I am a purist and just like the fact that the B Sport doesn't try to pretend to be something it's not. I'm sure you could probably take the big Bronco "off road" but seriously doubt there are very many people who will actually be using a $90,000 vehicle for that purpose.

I noticed the big orange Bronco in the test drive did not have the big black plastic fender flares. I didn't know you could get it without them.
One of my pet peeves over the years has been seeing people ruin (in my opinion) the appearance of the original Broncos by slapping giant fender flares on them (probably to cover up the rust in some cases). Then, Ford comes out with a brand new Bronco and does exactly the same thing..... I was more than a little disappointed.
We haven't ordered anything yet and are still negotiating with our dealer but we do like the gray one. This is just a car to us but where we reside it snows much so we always get awd or 4wd auto's. We did test operate the Escape and didn't like it. Thanks for keeping on the Bronco subject. (y)

/ latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews. #147  

They do take them off road, at least I see them off road, we took a new Jeep Gladiator off road when we bought it.

/ latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews.
We went and looked at two used ones yesterday and might get one. Had 12,000 miles and all bells the and whistles on it and dearest really liked it. Sorry that I forgot to take any photos. 🫢

Last edited:
   / latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews. #149  
There is 'off road' and then there is 'off road'. The Bronco sport has limited ground clearance and limited suspension travel as well. Just a poser vehicle, nothing much more.

/ latest Ford Bronco? Need reviews. #150  
Why on earth would someone 'trade in' a vehicle with 12K miles on it? To me, that is a huge red flag. Sounds to me like an auto auction buy and sell more than anything else. Probably the original owner was unable to make the note and had it repo'd.