Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #71  
It's logical as coils often fail when they get warm.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #72  
I've been running ragged trying to diagnose this thing. I've tried 3 different plugs. Cleaned carb countless times. Best I can figure is all the messing around finally caused it to fail permanently. It now will only idle. Any throttle and it will backfire.

I put an inline tester on the left plug and pulled the boot off the right plug. Fired up and ran great(for one cylinder) through all Rev ranges. Strong ignition through the tester.

Then I did the reverse and put the tester on the right plug and pulled the boot off the left. Idled fine but as soon as I turned up the throttle it started backfiring and there were gaps in ignition cycle through the tester.

Happy to be moving in the right direction but this looks like a daunting task to swap out the coil.

I had a engine that the shear keyon rhe flywheel- crankshaft was off just a bit, enough to do the same, pull flywheel and check key. If it it has any inclination of looking offor worn on one side replace it. It affects the timing and is critical for some engines to run right.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?
I had a engine that the shear keyon rhe flywheel- crankshaft was off just a bit, enough to do the same, pull flywheel and check key. If it it has any inclination of looking offor worn on one side replace it. It affects the timing and is critical for some engines to run right.
Will definitly check for that. Son and I making some pretty short work on tear down, hope to have it out tomorrow.

Pulled engine, changed coil, and reinstalled everything. Went to start it and the tractor about ran out of the back of my shop. I apparently wasn't paying attention to how to properly set up the treadle. As assembled, the pump was calling for reverse. I went ahead and removed the gas tank and the treadle piston(actuator? Im not sure what this part is called). The pump doesn't seem to have a center...how do i figure out where neutral is?

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #75  
The piston? Is that a cable operated treadle system? If it is, that's called the hydro back cable. There's an adjustment procedure for it somewhere. Unfortunately, as I recall, most folks have called Terry at PT and he talked them through it.

As I recall, it involves blocking the machine up off of all 4 wheels and adjusting the cable for neutral. There may be something in the manual about it, but I can't recall and I'm 350 miles from my books right now.

The piston? Is that a cable operated treadle system? If it is, that's called the hydro back cable. There's an adjustment procedure for it somewhere. Unfortunately, as I recall, most folks have called Terry at PT and he talked them through it.

As I recall, it involves blocking the machine up off of all 4 wheels and adjusting the cable for neutral. There may be something in the manual about it, but I can't recall and I'm 350 miles from my books right now.
Hit the nail on the head. Terry said to put the machine on blocks. Loosen the 2 bolts holding the hydroback to the mount just enough that it can be tap adjusted with a hammer. Start the machine up and tap until you find neutral.

The procedure in the manual seemed much more complicated than what Terry described.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #78  
When you first posted, you sounded a bit detached about the PT425. Now it sounds like you are kind of excited about it.

When you first posted, you sounded a bit detached about the PT425. Now it sounds like you are kind of excited about it.
You aren't wrong. Amazing the difference a year makes. When this journey began I had just lost my father and my mom was looking to me to start taking care of this stuff. I live 3.5 hours away, work a full time 9-5, inundated with side business work, have 3 kids who are in to various sports, my mom bought a house a quarter mile away that I renovated for her, and my own home to keep clean and maintained. I did just sell my Kioti to a family member so now the PT is my only tractor. I will rely on it to do the chores the Kioti did, and most importantly needs to be ready to plow my mothers drive and my house in a couple months. The PT has been a great source of bonding time with my son and due to its thankfully simple nature has been a great learning tool for him. We are all in on the PT. I'd happily buy a factory fresh unit when the time comes.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #80  
Nice story. And yes, they are a very simple machine. Sometimes simple works great.