Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #1  

3rd Coast

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT422
Greetings folks,

My father passed away a few months ago and we're just kind of working through the barn and lightening the load so to speak. He has a PT-422 with many many implements. My mom doesn't recall the last time he had it out but it was hooked to a battery maintainer and cranks fine but does not start. He made many comments in the past that the motor needed work or potentially replaced. He may have been a member here but I'm not sure of his screen name. It has the original Robin 22hp. I don't recall how many hours but it was pretty low...maybe ~300. I'm assuming it needs some work and since my mother lives 4 hours from me its not going to be done by me. So I have spent a little time looking for someone to take a look at it and have been striking out. We'd ultimately just get rid of it so I'm wondering if just selling it as-is is my best bet or if anyone knows of someone who can run through it and get her 100% before she goes for sale? Tractor is located in Illinois and I'm in Michigan. Willing to drive.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #2  
Sorry to hear of you father's passing.

The machines are very simple, so no specialize tools are really needed. Commercial small engine, off the shelf hydraulic parts, then someone that knows something about hydraulics, but there aren't any dealers for the machines. Where i live, finding someone that knows about hydraulics is very easy, because of the logging industry.

Power Trac website Terry at power trac is their main support person and is really knowledgeable. Their site has used power trac area for people to post to as does this site.

Link is a list of Owners by State. Not mine.

Sorry, i have no advice as to how you should proceed.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?
Sorry to hear of you father's passing.

The machines are very simple, so no specialize tools are really needed. Commercial small engine, off the shelf hydraulic parts, then someone that knows something about hydraulics, but there aren't any dealers for the machines. Where i live, finding someone that knows about hydraulics is very easy, because of the logging industry.

Power Trac website Terry at power trac is their main support person and is really knowledgeable. Their site has used power trac area for people to post to as does this site.

Link is a list of Owners by State. Not mine.

Sorry, i have no advice as to how you should proceed.
Thank you for the response, I appreciate it. I have emailed power trac earlier this morning looking for information and will call and speak with Terry. I suppose I'll just keep searching for a small engine guy for now.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #4  
The robin engines hate cold weather. Below 40 degrees they are almost impossible to start. If the machine is cold, this might be your issue.

I may be interested if you decide to sell it.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #5  
Don't want specific location, but what town is the machine near, if I may ask?

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #6  
Geeze, I should have preceded that with my condolences on your father's passing. My apologies.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?
Geeze, I should have preceded that with my condolences on your father's passing. My apologies.
No problem at all.

Machine is located near Dixon, IL

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #8  
These are the only units listed in Michigan that wanted to be included on the list we loosely maintain here in this forum. Maybe one of them will mean something to you.

Michigan

422 FDR2164
422 BWOLF
422 IDABE
425 WASHITA

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #9  
Oh, Illinois!

Illinois

2422 LANDSCAPERCARL
422 THEOUDOUS
1425 JWILEY
180 AMSCONTR

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #10  
If it were me, I'd look up the value of a new PT422 on PowerTrac's website (they list all prices of machines and implements). Then I'd look up the value of all of the attachments and add them all up. Depending on the condition of the machine, and if you can get it started, and in today's market, I'd ask somewhere between at least half of the value and 3/4 of the value, even if the engine doesn't start.

That's just me, though. Other's opinions will vary.

Some pictures of it and attachments might be of interest to some potential buyers.

There's a For Sale section here on TBN, and PowerTrac has a page for used equipment as well, so you might want to talk to Terry there as well and see how that is used.