Landscaping Loader Recommendations

/ Landscaping Loader Recommendations #1  

NibbanaFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 739, Cub Cadet 2544
Greetings Tractor men. I have some areas in my yard where the ground has settled over the years and tree roots are coming up. It's gotten to the point where I can't mow over them with my CC lawn tractor. Some large roots sticking up maybe 3 inches or so. I have a nice property and nice landscaping that I would rather keep than let return to nature. So I'd like to get some topsoil and cover these areas and reseed with grass.

Probably less than 2000 square feet total. So maybe would want to get 20-25 yards of topsoil to cover these areas. All areas are flat. Need a small loader to move the soil around and spread it. Have read good things about JD and Kubota.

Any other uses for a tractor? Probably. But I've gotten by for over twenty years with only my BCS two wheel tractor. I'm sure I'd find uses but probably I wouldn't be looking to buy one if it wasn't for this landscaping project.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Nibbana

/ Landscaping Loader Recommendations #2  
My personal preference is Kubota, but there are plenty of reliable small loader tractors on the market. For your use, I would think a sub compact under 25hp would be adequate.
I get a lot of use out of my compact 40hp loader tractor, but having a front end loader just for a powered wheel barrow is TOTALLY worth it.

On edit: if the topsoil project is truly the only reason for buying a loader tractor, perhaps hiring the job out would be best.

/ Landscaping Loader Recommendations
My personal preference is Kubota, but there are plenty of reliable small loader tractors on the market. For your use, I would think a sub compact under 25hp would be adequate.
I get a lot of use out of my compact 40hp loader tractor, but having a front end loader just for a powered wheel barrow is TOTALLY worth it.

On edit: if the topsoil project is truly the only reason for buying a loader tractor, perhaps hiring the job out would be best.
I though about hiring it out and I thought about just renting a loader.

If I could get it done in a week (40 meter hours) it would probably run about $1500 for a rental including delivery. That's for a mini backhoe or a small skidsteer.

My experience with hiring anything out around here is not good. So I haven't got any estimates. For plumbing and car repairs my experience is that I can buy everything I need plus the tools and equipment to do it for less than what it would cost to pay somebody. But who knows, it would be worth getting a few estimates.

Either way at the end of the day I won't have that when I think of another project for it.

25hp Kubota would be around $25K and the way things are going, I could probably sell it for more a few years down the road.

What model would you recommend?

Last edited:
   / Landscaping Loader Recommendations #4  
For me renting equipment or hiring out is sometimes a tough pill to swallow. I justified a loader tractor many years ago, and have never once regretted that decision.
I have rented a ditch machine, and an excavator for one-off projects because I'll likely never need those machines again. The loader tractor I use all of the time.
On average, you can expect to sell a tractor for the original purchase price, although this rule of thumb was upended from around 2020-23 ish.
As far as models, I don't own a sub compact, but the Kubota BX2680 is just under the dpf emissions requirements, and is a very capable machine.

Good luck with however you proceed!

/ Landscaping Loader Recommendations #5  
I would bet you could easily get it done with a day or two rental over a weekend. Small tractor with loader and box blade.

I've been doing quite a bit of finish grading at my place. The dozer is gone so I'm using my 1025R John Deere. I can pretty easily load a truck with 6 or so yards (with a track hoe not the little tractor), dump it, and grade it in an hour. I love my little tractor, I wish I had a bigger one but I don't think I would get rid of it even if I got a bigger one. It's just so handy. I have a belly mower, box blade, bush hog, and tiller for it. What's really nice is I can put the belly mower on and my wife is happy to hop on it and mow when I need help.