Land Pride Post Hole Digger down force kit

/ Land Pride Post Hole Digger down force kit #1  

tpcannon

Tractor
TYM 353HST
My neighbor has a Land Pride PD-15 post hole digger and it doesn't work too well in our hard clay. Land Pride sells a hydraulic down-force kit for it (317-027A).

Anyone have any experience with this setup? I'd sure like to hear from anyone with experience before I shell out $700+.

Attachments

• down force kit parts breakdown.png
    down force kit parts breakdown.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 190
   / Land Pride Post Hole Digger down force kit #2  
Why not just add some form of cast iron weights to the PHD, that will tell you what you want to know and it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

/ Land Pride Post Hole Digger down force kit #3  
The diagram is showing what looks to be a hydraulic top link with a a few brackets. I bet you could make one for alot less than $700.

I dont own a 3pt auger but I can tell you that I have 4-5 100lb suitcase weights and have found them to be extremely helpful mounted on my box blade and landscape rake. They really change how an attachment works...they also hold there value prety darn well.

/ Land Pride Post Hole Digger down force kit #4  
I have one on my speeco post hole digger, but mine only cost me a little under $300.

it had to be plumbed in a bit different than a top link, as it opens under pressure, but retracts by itself , when you raise post hole digger, and dumps into hydraulic tank. I was able to do this pretty easy on my kioti by adding the backhoe adapter to hydraulic fill port.
all i can say is whenever my post hole digger gets stopped, a tug on my rear remote and its back to digging. I dont recall what force it added to digger though.

also you will need to have at least 1 rear remote available.

/ Land Pride Post Hole Digger down force kit #5  
In my clay soil the type of cutting bits and auger tip makes all the difference. I see all these new augers at TSC and Rural King with the wrong kind of bits for our soil. Might work topsoil rich areas but not our rocky clay soil. With the right auger have worry about digging too fast so go slow a clear hole frequently. Might get good advice from the coop.

/ Land Pride Post Hole Digger down force kit #6  
What are the right teeth for clay/rock?

/ Land Pride Post Hole Digger down force kit #7  
My neighbor has a post hole digger and when it stops, he dumps some water in the hole and waits a few minutes. Then it starts digging again.

We live in Virginia and our area is clay. Red or blue, but it’s always clay.

/ Land Pride Post Hole Digger down force kit #8  
My red clay gest so hard that my full sized backhoe has trouble breaking through it in the heat of summer. Here, the clay is like a pie crust. It's hard at the surface, but gets softer the farther down you go, but mostly, you just have to break through that top layer of hard baked clay to get down to the easy digging stuff.

I started out with a cheap Leinbach line post hole digger and it was horrible. I used every type of leverage out there to get it to dig, and it still struggled. I switched to a Speeco with replaceable cutting teeth and it was a lot better. When I couldn't find any more teeth for the Speeco, I bought a Countryline auger from Tractor Supply. This was out of desperation since I thought Countryline was a junk product.

I was wrong, that auger digs through the hard clay like it's not there. It digs TOO FAST and my biggest challenge is slowing it down so it doesn't burry itself!!!!

Before spending that much money for a kit to push your auger down, I would try the Countryline auger first. For me, it fit on my Leinback Line gear box, so it was just two bolts to make the switch.