L Series owners

/ L Series owners #241  
I have a 2010 L 3400 4x4 gear drive with 292 hours, best tractor I have ever had.
Good looking tractor. Any more pics that you could post?

/ L Series owners #242  
I love my L2501 - it's been a tank and seems to hit a sweet spot of capability and price.

Our 5 year payments will be done in another 10 months and the wife and I are trying to figure out what kind of equipment to get it for a playmate. We have a Kawasaki Mule and an electric golf cart.

I was thinking maybe a BX23S could get in horse stalls but I need to double check the width of all our doors - we're a horse boarding facility with ~90 stalls. Besides the size and backhoe it wouldn't add any more utility than the L2501 except that they could both be used at the same time. To get any more capability though I'm looking at a much higher price - the L2501 was about $20K and a bigger MX would be in the ~$45K range with all the bells (no whistles) that I would want.

What is the point of this rambling? The L2501 spoiled me on price point! It does an incredible job for what it is and to get any more out of it would cost a lot more, and going smaller doesn't cost you much less.

/ L Series owners #243  
Yep (L2501) it's the perfect size tractor to replace a Ford 8N or 9N with so much more power and live hydraulics and 4 wheel drive. I'm really happy with my choice for my really hilly rocky 60 acres. The QH and implements make working fun again!

/ L Series owners #244  
Hi other L owners. I have a L3400 HST, with ~900 hours on it. Tractor is awesome, most of the time. I use it primarily for harrowing our horse arenas, moving lots of gravel, and mowing.

I am running into an issue that I can't resolve, but perhaps someone could help shed some insight. The tractor randomly cuts out power and cuts back in occasionally when I'm using it. Like flipping a light switch, it happens very fast. Its like it turns off and then back on in a 1-second blip. There is no rhyme or reason, random speeds, load, rpm, etc. I thought it was a fuel issue originally, I had run the tank dry by accident once (fuel gauge iffy as everyone else notes), and thought maybe I sucked some debris into the fuel lines. Cleaned everything up, but doesn't seem to be the issue. I think it could be electrical but I'm really not sure, that is out of my expertise.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with their L? Any help would be greatly appreciated. All in all the tractor is a workhorse and I love it.

/ L Series owners #245  
Hi other L owners. I have a L3400 HST, with ~900 hours on it. Tractor is awesome, most of the time. I use it primarily for harrowing our horse arenas, moving lots of gravel, and mowing.

I am running into an issue that I can't resolve, but perhaps someone could help shed some insight. The tractor randomly cuts out power and cuts back in occasionally when I'm using it. Like flipping a light switch, it happens very fast. Its like it turns off and then back on in a 1-second blip. There is no rhyme or reason, random speeds, load, rpm, etc. I thought it was a fuel issue originally, I had run the tank dry by accident once (fuel gauge iffy as everyone else notes), and thought maybe I sucked some debris into the fuel lines. Cleaned everything up, but doesn't seem to be the issue. I think it could be electrical but I'm really not sure, that is out of my expertise.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with their L? Any help would be greatly appreciated. All in all the tractor is a workhorse and I love it.

Sounds like a safety switch, possibly the seat switch but any of them can cause this symptom. For example, if I am moving and lean over in the seat to look at something, the engine will cut out, but I can sit back quickly and the engine will come back to life, so it's just a brief blip less than 1 second.

You might want to check all the safety switches to make sure none of them are loose or have an obvious wiring problem. From there, you might need to try to wiggle them while underway to see if you can recreate the problem, or jumper across them to eliminate the problem (would be a slower way to conclude anything if this is an intermittent problem).

Just based on my experience I'd start with the seat switch. It's pretty sensitive. It doesn't take much movement to trigger it and I can see it happening from age, wear & tear, slop in the seat, etc.

/ L Series owners #246  
Sounds like a safety switch,

Thanks for the insight, I suspected that could be the case as well. I will check the safetys and see if there is anything obvious jumps out.

One other thought was possibly we have a bad fuel stop solenoid. We checked the resistance compared to spec and it was within specs, and we cleaned all the ground connections, but the problem still persists.

We will check the safetys and go from there, thanks @s219 !

/ L Series owners #247  
Safety switches can be a pain to diagnose.

/ L Series owners #248  
As noted, if it's power off like a light switch, look for the faulty switch or wiring. It's probably a safety switch. Seat is the most likely by a good margin but it could also be a PTO switch or go pedal switch. I think clutch switches only are relevant for starting. Go pedal is probably wired in series with the seat switch.

/ L Series owners #249  
As others have said, could be the safety switch. Had the same symptoms with my L3901 shortly after delivery and determined it was the safety switch. One zip tie later and the problem was rectified. Hope that is all that it is with yours. Good luck.

/ L Series owners #250  
I have an L4300, which is pretty much the same tractor. Mine has a pull rod to shut the fuel off and I could see that causing the problem. There needs to be enough "slop" in the rod so it doesn't accidentally shut off the tractor. A check of the fuel filer is also a good idea.