Kubota L4600DT starting issue

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue
Tammy,

What you have there is not wiring diagram but it is wiring harness layout. It is good info to have but does not identify how circuits are made. Additionally if you have a list of item designator then it is difficult to identify what that block without index. Like on first screen capture 040,050 and 070 are all fuses but you would not know the rating or what circuit it is protecting. I will look at my WSM to see if I can find some useful info. Do you know the model # of your multi meter? I yet to see any multi meter that does not read ohm. That is the very basic whether it is a $5 Harbour Freight meter or $1000 RMS Fluke meter. Once you have ohms reading it can be used for checking continuity as well. I suggest you take a look at the link below. It will be helpful to diagnose and understand what's going on.

Multi-meter has ohms setting, it just doesn't work. Display shows a -1 on far left side and doesn't change with a closed circuit. Sometimes random numbers pop up for a second with an open circuit but immediately goes back to -1. Mine also has a setting for continuity which just displays -1 and doesn't change when I close the circuit. There is a parts list with the diagram that says the amperage of the fuses but, it doesn't say what it is for.

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #22  
Multi-meter has ohms setting, it just doesn't work. Display shows a -1 on far left side and doesn't change with a closed circuit. Sometimes random numbers pop up for a second with an open circuit but immediately goes back to -1. Mine also has a setting for continuity which just displays -1 and doesn't change when I close the circuit. There is a parts list with the diagram that says the amperage of the fuses but, it doesn't say what it is for.
Most of the multi-meters are fused but not all specially less expensive one. Make sure you have good battery in it as ohms reading need the battery as a voltage source to use. Change the fuse if it looks broken and fused. Alternately, any inexpensive meter will work for your type of diognostics.

Most of the multi-meters are fused but not all specially less expensive one. Make sure you have good battery in it as ohms reading need the battery as a voltage source to use. Change the fuse if it looks broken and fused. Alternately, any inexpensive meter will work for your type of diognostics.
Multi-meter works on AC and DC voltage settings, just not the other settings. It's a cheap Harbor Freight one. We just need to replace it. On a sweeter note we did 2 jobs today and the tractor worked perfectly. Hopefully it will continue to.

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #24  
Multi-meter works on AC and DC voltage settings, just not the other settings. It's a cheap Harbor Freight one. We just need to replace it. On a sweeter note we did 2 jobs today and the tractor worked perfectly. Hopefully it will continue to.
Ok Good to hear that you got it to work. Attached please find a wiring diagram of my rig. There is a lot of similarities between my tractor and yours with mine having CatII 3 point rather than Cat 1 in yours. I looked at my diagram and it appears that Neutral safety switch on shuttle shift, seat safety and " PTO Safety" switch are all in one circuit going to starter key. Do make sure next time to check to see if PTO switch is working and then by putting the PTO on the switch is actually changes the state. All safety switches are normally closed (zero ohms) so the entire circuit (Continuity) is made before you can crank. If any of safeties not made such as pto left on, shuttle handle in forward or reverse and seat switch not made then the tractor would not crank.

Attachments

• MX-4700 electrical.pdf
    201.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Ok Good to hear that you got it to work. Attached please find a wiring diagram of my rig. There is a lot of similarities between my tractor and yours with mine having CatII 3 point rather than Cat 1 in yours. I looked at my diagram and it appears that Neutral safety switch on shuttle shift, seat safety and " PTO Safety" switch are all in one circuit going to starter key. Do make sure next time to check to see if PTO switch is working and then by putting the PTO on the switch is actually changes the state. All safety switches are normally closed (zero ohms) switch so the entire circuit (Continuity) is made before you can crank. If any of safeties not made such as pto left on, shuttle handle in forward or reverse and seat switch not made then the tractor would not crank.
Thank you for all your help.

Ok Good to hear that you got it to work. Attached please find a wiring diagram of my rig. There is a lot of similarities between my tractor and yours with mine having CatII 3 point rather than Cat 1 in yours. I looked at my diagram and it appears that Neutral safety switch on shuttle shift, seat safety and " PTO Safety" switch are all in one circuit going to starter key. Do make sure next time to check to see if PTO switch is working and then by putting the PTO on the switch is actually changes the state. All safety switches are normally closed (zero ohms) so the entire circuit (Continuity) is made before you can crank. If any of safeties not made such as pto left on, shuttle handle in forward or reverse and seat switch not made then the tractor would not crank.
Acted up again today. My husband started it a few times, then when he got to the job he started it and it shut down, it did that twice then started and ran fine. This is driving us nuts.

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #27  
Acted up again today. My husband started it a few times, then when he got to the job he started it and it shut down, it did that twice then started and ran fine. This is driving us nuts.
Intermittent issues are sometimes so difficult to diagnose. Anytime it happens is the opportunity to eliminate causes one by one. This might just be a bit lose connection electrically somewhere. What did he do different each attempt to start in chronological order (steps)? that might give a clue. Again, Neutral safety,PTO safety and seat switch can be individually bench tested or on the tractor. i would follow the wiring harness to see if there is sign of critter damage (mice chewing ) wires. Do double check the fuses and the fuse blade with magnifier glass. There is something that makes and breaks randomly.

Ask hubby all steps one by one he took to get the tractor to start again rather than just crank and crank and eventually tractor stared running.

Last edited:
Intermittent issues are sometimes so difficult to diagnose. Anytime it happens is the opportunity to eliminate causes one by one. This might just be a bit lose connection electrically somewhere. What did he do different each attempt to start in chronological order (steps)? that might give a clue. Again, Neutral safety,PTO safety and seat switch can be individually bench tested or on the tractor. i would follow the wiring harness to see if there is sign of critter damage (mice chewing ) wires. Do double check the fuses and the fuse blade with magnifier glass. There is something that makes and breaks randomly.

Ask hubby all steps one by one he took to get the tractor to start again rather than just crank and crank and eventually tractor stared running.
He said that the first two times he started it, it died as soon as he went to put it into gear. He didn't do anything different on the third try but it went into gear and ran and started fine the rest of the day.

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #29  
He said that the first two times he started it, it died as soon as he went to put it into gear. He didn't do anything different on the third try but it went into gear and ran and started fine the rest of the day.
okay, ask him how he does the following sequence.
1- making sure the shuttle shift lever is in neutral. When he cranks then does it start? if so shuttle shift safety switch is working at least partially.
2- move the shuttle shift to forward and try to crank. Engine should not crank.
3- move the shuttle shift in reverse and try to crank. Engine should not crank.
4- you said he is a smaller guy, kind of like me. Does he need to move forward to shift the gear? if so may be seat switch kills the engine. When I use the loader and have to move closer to the steering wheel or look up the hood to see the edge of the bucket sometime my rig wants to shut off.
5- Simply take a rubber band and connect it to the the end of set switch plastic arm and tie it off the something there to simulate it fully depressed. Basically, overriding the seat switch and force it to close and see if that make any difference. I am not at all proponent of messing with the safeties , here what we're doing is just to diagnose a problem.

If you had a major issue tractor would not continue running. it must be something silly such as an lose eclectically fitting (male and female connector not sitting in) or not adjusted right. Let us know Tammy.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L4600DT starting issue #30  
Tammy if you have a harbor freight near by you can get a cheap
multi meter. Or get one from the auto parts store

willy