Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
I am posting this for my next door neighbor. He has a fairly new Kubota 3910 and was bush hogging when his tractor suddenly stopped. Checking it, he saw that the lower radiator hose had been pulled off and there was no water in it. He said he had been watching the temperature gauge and it hadn't moved but maybe with no water in it, there was no hot water to measure the temperature of.

After it cooled and he put a new hose on he attempted to start it. The starter turned over at the normal speed, not real fast like it would do if there was no compression but it would not start. He tried using ether but it still did not even putt. He has never owned one of these newer models with all the pollution junk on them and doesn't know if they have any type of electronics on it that might prevent it from starting under these circumstances or if his engine is just toast. Any ideas?

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #2  
Did it stop because it ran out of fuel (empty tank, air in line, melted fuel line, etc.) ? So, bleeding the lines & injectors is necessary? Was it 'ether' or 'starting fluid' ?

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #3  
Probably smoked it but need to diagnose it. Compression test of each cylinder is needed.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #4  
Speculation of course BUT... I'm guessing that your neighbor ran it hot for so long that he cracked a head or blew the head gasket or both. If that got SO BAD that the engine quit he very likely lost compression in one or more cylinders. Best thing to do first is to buy or borrow a pressure test kit, pressurize the radiator and see if it will hold pressure. [Repair shops have the kits, typically with a wide variety of adapters for radiator cap sizes. Or buy on Amazon and do it yourself. round $50.] If it loses pressure rather than holding steady tell him to hope it is just a head gasket...

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #5  
Wow. That dash must have been lit-up like a Christmas tree. Does he know what the gauge to the far right is? :rolleyes:

For now, I go along with the head gasket and compression test first but I'm betting the injectors are toast too. When engines get that hot, the oil turns to tar and no longer lubricates so I would check the oil first before doing any more cranking. This is looking like a very expensive mistake.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #6  
Kubota has never produced a model 3910.

Clarity the Kubota model.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #8  
If it cranks at "normal" speed but does not fire what does the exhaust look like? Does it put out whitish smoke? Does it smell of unburnt fuel?
If it is the normal temperature outside, cranking speed is normal and you have the smell of diesel or whitish smoke then as others have suggested, get a compression tester.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #9  
I fear loss of coolant while bushhogging. Really no indicator except maybe a whiff of coolant. Thought about adding a hose fluid continuity sensor many times. Watch the temperature gauge and have blow out screens and radiator several times a year. Usually running to engine stops is not good.

Like others said first check cooling system to leaks and possible head gasket for leaks. Don’t want to hydro lock engine and cause further damage.

I wouldn’t use ether.

Even checking diligently and being experienced still can have problems. Wish for an easy fix. Could be $$$.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #10  
It gone. Compression test is going to be the first thing to do but I’ve got $10 that says it’s toast.

I did a similar thing loosing a drain plug. It grenaded and I even shut it down before it killed itself.