Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #21  
Wouldn’t turn over if it was.
Most tractors I know about have electrical interlocks that will not allow starting the engine if the PTO is engaged. The OP said it was turning over so that would seem to rule out the PTO being engaged (which may be why Dusty this.) I think the entire discussion is pointless until the guy finds out if he has compression or not -- needs to check whether pressure will hold in the cooling system.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #22  
It's my contention that he needs to take it to a Kubota dealer and have it professionally diagnosed and repaired. The owner didn't have enough sense not to run it out of coolant, does anyone actually think he could do a compression test or anything else mechanical for that matter??? I don't.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #23  
It's my contention that he needs to take it to a Kubota dealer and have it professionally diagnosed and repaired. The owner didn't have enough sense not to run it out of coolant, does anyone actually think he could do a compression test or anything else mechanical for that matter??? I don't.
Well I agree the machine almost certainly has to go to a competent repair shop, benefit of doubt going to most dealers. Since the neighbor was called in for opinion, it would seem beneficial to see if the radiator held pressure before prostrating oneself totally to the shop not knowing even that much about the condition of the patient. That requires nowhere near as much mechanical skill/knowledge as doing a compression test.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #24  
Many years ago I was driving a Ford Econoline van that had the engine in between the front seats. I had owned more than one of these vans and loved them. Anyway, I was driving out of Seattle on Hwy. 520. There is one exit after leaving I-5 before the bridge going over Lake Washington. Just as I left I-5 and drove onto 520 I smelled a hot engine. I looked at the temp gauge and it read fine. Nevertheless I took the one exit before the bridge and pulled into a gas station right at the exit. I shut off the engine and it stopped instantly. Lifting the hood, which is inside the van, let a bunch of steam into the van. I had it towed home and discovered that the lower radiator hose had blown off. I never found out how this happened. I also don't know how long I had been driving with no water. The only clue was the "hot" smell. And in that van I was sitting right next to the engine. I thought that the engine was toast but decided to try starting it just for kicks. It almost started. It kinda coughed a bit and tried to fire. About a week after my poor van decided that it was gonna need a new engine I was telling the guy behind the parts counter at a local NAPA store about what happened to my van. I was in the store buying parts for another car and was just passing time telling the guy about my van. He told me that maybe the engine was not history, that maybe it had stuck valves because it was running so hot that the oil in the valve guides had carbonized and this was causing the valves to stick. He talked me into buying a can of some sort of moose pee called "Valve Tune". To use it you pour 1/2 half of the can into the motor oil. Then, as you attempt to start the engine you slowly pour the rest of the can into the carb throat. I did this. The engine at first just coughed as before but then it started to smooth out some. It would not run without the starter cranking it so I let the starter cool off and then tried again. The second effort at starting worked. The engine kept running, albeit poorly. But I kept pouring the Valve Tune down the carb throat and the engine started running better. With lots of pumping of the gas pedal I kept the engine running and eventually it started running normally. I drove that van for about 4 more years and then sold it. It still was running well when I sold it. Maybe the tractor in question here is also suffering from sticky valves. I have always been dubious of "Tune Up In A Can" products but I did luck out just the one time. If I had not pulled off of the freeway and shut off the engine when I did I am sure the engine would have been overheated to such an extent that it would have required a rebuild. I am pretty sure that the head had gotten so hot that the oil in the valve guides did start to carbonize and the valves were sticking. Diesel engines are different from gasoline engines and I don't know enough about them if they could suffer from sticky valves after overheating. If it was my engine I might be tempted to risk 10 bucks or whatever it costs now on a can of Valve Tune. If it is still available. Though it can't be poured down a carb throat and I wouldn't risk pouring it into a diesel intake manifold.
Eric

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #26  
The owner didn't have enough sense not to run it out of coolant, does anyone actually think he could do a compression test or anything else mechanical for that matter??? I don't. 5030

give the poor guy a break. no sense adding insult to injury. best of luck to the owner, things happen

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #27  
ETPM in post #24 --- Great story. Worth more than the last 25 posts I have read! "Moose pee" ingredients essentially caused me to spew a mouthful of coffee all over the room.

VERY interesting comparison between your van and this incident with the Kubota.

A couple of observations:
Your van was probably an in-line-six gasoline type. This Kubota L3901 is a 3 cyl diesel. So if roughly parallel things happened, you had to conk out the majority of 6 cylinders to stall it while all this guy had to lose was 1 or at most 2 cylinders of his Kubota before it stalled out. I do not see why pouring some oily stuff (be it Moose pee based or not) in the intake of a diesel would do any more or less harm than it did in your gas job unless a sensitive turbocharger is in the picture. If I really thought that was the problem though, I would take off the rocker cover and find a way to rotate the engine while directly lubing the valve stems instead. Probably in the case of this OP's friend/neighbor, the important thing is that things be done in a sensible progression -- check the radiator pressure retention first, then track down the cause if it is dropping, etc. A danger would be if the mechanics working on it fail to consider stuck valves they might do some very unnecessary and expensive things. I can think of several dealers and repair shops who would not always do that in the best interest of the customer. Like for example replacing the head would fix it and cost 25 times as much.

p.s.: if valves are stuck due to overheating of lubricant then the valve seals are almost certain to be shot as well. I would have guessed your van used some oil due to leakage around the valve stems after that fix. Do you remember if that happened?

Last edited:
   / Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #28  
Why ? No guarantee or extended maintenance agreement would (nor should) cover knocking a radiator hose off and running the thing until it dies.

Isn't KTAC insurance?

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #29  
Isn't KTAC insurance?
Post #19 says it is insurance. Be it insurance or a guarantee I don't think either one would (or should) cover an owner knocking the radiator hose off and running the thing until it quits.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #30  
...or blowing it off because the radiator was loaded with chaff from brush hogging and was unable to cool the engine and something had to give... I seriously doubt the 'neighbor' has the sense to actually do a compression check anyway and I don't believe the 'Amazon' leak down / compression tester has the correct adapter anyway. Again, I'd take it to a competent dealer (who knows what they are doing) and let them ascertain the damage...

My 2 cents and I'll be following along but no more comments from the peanut gallery.