Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too.

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #51  
My vote is for cats as well when we moved in to our property it looked like it had been carpet bombed! Pocket gofers everywhere, got cats and they have destroyed the colony and keep them at bay every year after the snow melts. No mice or chipmunks chewing wires or making nest in air boxes.

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #52  
In about 2005 the EPA ruled that not only tires but all car components must biodegrade in x years. Components like seats, headliners, wire harnesses, and more had to be made with organic materials. The wire jacket is now a vegetable based material instead of good ole plastic. During the drought years car wiring fell victim to hungry mice, rats, squirrels, and even rabbits.
We replaced a wire harness and repaired a couple of attacks prior to bringing the feral cats in. It has been 4 years without rodents now. All I do is feed a little dry food and keep water available. If they want meat they hunt. And hunt they do.
Plus the cats are spayed and free from a humane society. We are giving them a place to live and they are making that place rodent and rattlesnake free. I read yesterday a cats reaction time is much quicker than a snake.
P.S.
We have lots of big barking dogs that are burglar deterrents but couldn't catch a mouse or a rabbit to save their lives.

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #53  
The only thing that has ever worked for me is a combination of wrapping the typically affected wiring with steel wool and installing 12v ultrasonic repellers.

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #54  
Last I checked, the Animal shelters don't allow cat adoption to people in my zip. It's because cats quickly become coyote poop where I live. Anyway, I fear attracting skunks and coons too much to leave food out. Leaving hoods open stops nesting in engine compartments but mice still invade interiors. I love the hawks around here too much to even consider poison so I might try some of the deterrent products mentioned here.
It's a HUGE problem for us.
Thanks for the ideas!

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #55  
The best I found was these (see pic of a catch) box traps with the rotating paddles that reset for the next catch. I put then in partially open door between rooms to direct the mice toward the trap.

Attachments

• mice catch with wind up trap.jpeg
    mice catch with wind up trap.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 105
   / Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #56  
I use cinnamon oil on a cotton ball. Forgot to do my combine last fall but the residual from the year before seems to be doing the job. A couple of them in the cab does the trick.

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #57  
One or the other - NOT BOTH!
Agreed. The cat eats a mouse with the poison and the cat will likely die. I've seen it happen. We have 3 fixed cats at our barn fun of cow feed ( ground corn, cotton seed, hominy , hay etc) and now, no mice for very long. I love watching the cats wait patiently for the mice to move and then pounce. We actually supplement them with food because the mouse population gets so low. I can't say strong enough how nice it is to not have rat poop in my tools and work space.. and besides one of the cats tries to herd cows when we move them to the barn for shots etc.. .Also is a nice seat warmer - just don't let them get locked in a cab or leave the tractor window open- think- litter box.

Attachments

• KIMG0060 seat warmer.JPG
    KIMG0060 seat warmer.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
   / Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #58  
Yes, but in my nborhood of 789 homes, no one w a decent size dog [that barks] has ever been burglarized.

There are definitely plus and minuses to any type of pet/companion. I prefer seeing about 5-6 US native bird species at my ranch bc I also provide them nesting means/houses. Barn cats that depend on their own food would wipe out these nesting grounds.

Bottomline, we are all free to implement whatever mammal option we wish. For that, I am truly grateful...good luck to all...
Evil can't stand the light or noise. I have an LED light and a radio playing in all my outbuildings. Works on 4 and 2 legged critters. Still use cinnamon cotton balls for the crafty mice though

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #59  
Good to know👌 ... sound like you need a few cats and some rat poison...
Rat poison generally has second kill and dead/dying rodents kill the cats.

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #60  
Always an issue here. Pesky little rodents like to nest under the hoods and in the cabs of my tractors. I do use the bucket traps that work well but that don't stop them from building nests, only catches them when they go in search of food...

When I was clearing my property for the new home build and then the workshop build- which also serves as tractor, truck and UTV storage, my vehicles were stored outside for several years. We have our share of mice around here and had zero mice issues using small mesh bags with a few moth balls inside. The bags were placed in various strategic areas in the vehicles and I never had a single mouse issue.