Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too.

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Always an issue here. Pesky little rodents like to nest under the hoods and in the cabs of my tractors. I do use the bucket traps that work well but that don't stop them from building nests, only catches them when they go in search of food...

Had not only wiring damage in the past but rodent nests under the hoods can be a PITA to remove.

I finally settled on scented dryer sheets. Mice hate the smell of them and stay away.

I put them under the hoods on the engines and in the cabs on the seats and floors. So far (knock on wood), they have eliminated the nesting issue and damaged wiring.

Cheap and effective and they impart a nice smell in the cabs too....:giggle:

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too.
A box of scented dryer sheets are really cheap compared to munched wiring and mouse poop everywhere. Nasty little rodents. I just abscond with my wife's dryer sheets. I've tried about everything and the dryer sheets are the winner.

Still use the bucket traps and they work as well but not a deterrent to them nesting in inaccessible places. I keep the RV in the barn as well but all the access points on it are screened.

Every animal has a right to live, just not in my equipment.

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #4  
how often do you change them out, weekly?
Is one sheet enough for the cab or under the hood?

I change them out about every month. a couple under the hood in various spots and 2 in the cabs. One on the seat and one on the floor.

I like to put one back by the firewall, mice like to nest in tight spots.

They can do a lot of damage as I found out a couple years ago when they munched my underhood wiring. I read somewhere that the insulation on wires today is vegetable based so they find it appetizing.

Cost me a couple hundred to fix their damage.

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #6  
Do you have a particular barnd that you find effective?

I have tried them in the past without much sucess, but I'm alway willing to try again.

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #7  
Good to know👌 ... sound like you need a few cats and some rat poison...

/ Keeping mice out of your tractors engine bay over the winter and summer too. #8  
I had a lot of trouble in the past with rodent damage. Finally said enough is enough and adopted a couple of cats. Got 1 in each barn. The mice are gone. The neighbors mail cat comes in and sprays a bit. That really helps deter any new critters from entering the place and I keep my tractor in the barn. As for the dryer sheets... take them to the next level with a few drops of eucalyptus oil applied each month. Mice can't forage or mate when overpowering scents like dryer sheets and oil are present.

Do you have a particular barnd that you find effective?

I have tried them in the past without much sucess, but I'm alway willing to try again.
Kroger or Bounce scented dryer sheets. The stinker the better.