Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #71  
View attachment 730995
Why do they put 1/2" of goop on everything at the factory? Nasty stuff that's like bearing grease mixed with clay. Is it so the castings don't leak through any voids in metal?
That looks more like emulsified oil (oil + water + clay). Glyptal (the red paint-like stuff) is used to seal weldments and porous castings. You're doing very good work.

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades
IMG_20220205_111711193.jpg

Backlash .3mm
Cleaned and reassembled.
Assembly is not trivial. Took me 4 (maybe 5) tries to get the right technique and order of assembly for the main and secondary shaft.
IMG_20220205_130227339.jpg

Brakes are next.

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades
That looks more like emulsified oil (oil + water + clay). Glyptal (the red paint-like stuff) is used to seal weldments and porous castings. You're doing very good work.
Rob,
I thought it was something from the factory, but maybe that's right. Could be clay contamination + water and oil as you said.
Regardless, it's all gone. Inside is reasonably clean. I didn't go crazy, just hand cleaned to get rid of 95% of the gunk on inside of the case. All the parts were cleaned 99%.
Shawn

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #74  
Shawn,

Nice job on the reassembly and the time spent doing this - the ring/pinon mesh looks great.

Must feel good to know it's done right and can focus on getting the rest of this rebuild done - seems like your in the end stretch now.

You'll have a new tractor in the spring!

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #75  
How's the build up coming or have you taken a winter break?

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #76  
Just curious how this project turned out - any pictures of the finished project?

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #77  
Just curious how this project turned out - any pictures of the finished project?
I hope he didn't give up, he was doing so well. Maybe health issues.