Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #61  
The shims are 9-10-11 from the looks in the diagram and that plate is inside the transmission housing - correct?

Also its hard to tell the engagement sitting here, but when you say driven side of the ring gear is the very "inside" tip, do you mean engagement is near the bottom of the pinion, or just on the top 1/3 of the pinion?

The pictures and pattern seem to indicate they are 3/4 engaged, not just the tip. If they are in the top 1/2 then tear down, if they are 3/4 or better engaged it's your call, but I would be inclined to leave it.

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades
Is #13 your shims? Looks like you are pretty limited as to what you can do. Is the #8 bearing retainer is holding you back? Maybe you can shim it?
13 is an oring.
9, 10 and 11 are the shims.
I think 31 is what's limiting further movement.

The shims are 9-10-11 from the looks in the diagram and that plate is inside the transmission housing - correct?

Also its hard to tell the engagement sitting here, but when you say driven side of the ring gear is the very "inside" tip, do you mean engagement is near the bottom of the pinion, or just on the top 1/3 of the pinion?

The pictures and pattern seem to indicate they are 3/4 engaged, not just the tip. If they are in the top 1/2 then tear down, if they are 3/4 or better engaged it's your call, but I would be inclined to leave it.
Highlited driven side pattern in red
1643062333677.png

1643062533458.png

Items X'd out don't exist.
Nut 4, bearing 7 and housing 8 along with shims sets the pinion depth.
Housing 8 sits on outside front of rear casting. So more shims moves pinion forward away from ring gear.
BUT, you can remove 4,7 and 8 and the pinion shaft will not move much further forward.
Hope that makes sense.

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #65  
Thanks for the detail pics - I don't like that engagement either, but don't know what is spec?

It appears# 31 is a spacer between the bearing and the gear on the back portion of the shaft not a snap ring

So from what we know is removing 9-10-11 does minimal to engagement.

What about removing # 8 and shimming behind bearing # 12, as it appears it would hit a flange on the pinion shaft?

Attachments

• 1643065047398.png
    1643065047398.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
   / Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #66  
Here is a good video that shows the relationship of the ring and pinion setup and backlash (for example .005 to .008") is typical. Then also adjusting the pinion gear.

Can you shim the pinion gear on both sides? I don't see a bearing flange in the case?

Took 2-3 hours to take pinion shaft out. EVERTHING has to come out including PTO gear to get at pinion.
Now I'll clean everything real good and start re-assembly. I think there are two spacers where it shows 1 in the part manual. Not sure if this was on purpose or not, have to investigate further.
IMG_20220125_171712313.jpg

IMG_20220125_171729586.jpg

Why do they put 1/2" of goop on everything at the factory? Nasty stuff that's like bearing grease mixed with clay. Is it so the castings don't leak through any voids in metal?
IMG_20220125_171741851.jpg

Gears clean and ready for assembly.
IMG_20220129_133945448_HDR.jpg

There were two spacers (one thin one thick) where the part diagram said there was one, but that wasn't the issue. Issues was the rear bearing wouldn't budge in housing. This prevented the main shaft with pinion from adjusting with shims.
Brakes and axles cleaned prepped and ready for assembly. New friction disks and resurfaced metal wear surfaces should fix poor braking.
IMG_20220129_154221785.jpg

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #69  
Glad you got it sorted - this has turned into more than you expected, but it coming out much better in the end!

Nice work.

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #70  
Took 2-3 hours to take pinion shaft out. EVERTHING has to come out including PTO gear to get at pinion.
Now I'll clean everything real good and start re-assembly. I think there are two spacers where it shows 1 in the part manual. Not sure if this was on purpose or not, have to investigate further.
View attachment 730994

View attachment 730995
Why do they put 1/2" of goop on everything at the factory? Nasty stuff that's like bearing grease mixed with clay. Is it so the castings don't leak through any voids in metal?
View attachment 730996
edit

Nice Work It will be Great when all done, Looking and Running better than New.

Last edited: