Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #1  

shawn999

Tractor
Tytan 594
The ol' girl is getting a little tired. Starting a light restoration to fix some issues and spruce up. Also improve stability on hill and hopefully do some improvements.
This is a KM554 rebadged as Tytan 594
This is what she looks like now. Heavy built and tough.
IMG_20211214_155813823.jpg

Removed FEL and frame.
IMG_20211217_140239133_HDR.jpg

Items to fix:
Leak from top of power steering resevoir
Leak at power steering cylinder banjo fitting
Leaky front axle
Starter doesn't always work
Need new seat
New brakes
Adjust clutch

Clean and repaint
Paint FEL to match
Replace wheels and tires with wider R-1W tires

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #2  
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to see some more on this restoration.

The R1 Radials will make an huge diference for sure, on just about everything. Traction, ride, stability, wear, etc.

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades
I have a major leak from top of power steering reservoir. The cover is just metal on metal. Seems like there should be a seal around the top. Does anyone know what is supposed to be there to seal?
IMG_20211217_140002463 (2)_LI.jpg

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #4  
Quite possibly an O-ring, or just a flat neoprene gasket.

Quite possibly an O-ring, or just a flat neoprene gasket.
This is what it looks like. No place for an o-ring. Yes, maybe a large flat ring shaped gasket. Guess I would have to make it
IMG_20211218_112227077.jpg

She look better after a bath. I think she wants to be red again.
IMG_20211218_112056578.jpg

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #7  
Without knowing the actual size, I'll speculate that it's the same size as the old cartridge type oil filters.

1639857420131.png

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #8  
Nice project - you can make a gasket - trace the lid on an old inner tube and cut out holes for the two rods, or maybe find a mason jar seal ring but may not be compatible with PS fluid.

Looks pretty good all cleaned up, and yes red would be nice, but blue would be easier - no need to remove all the fenders and HW, dash etc. just get it close to current color match. Do you plan to sand and prime or?

Also, if you can add your location/state/province that helps if you are looking for input on parts etc.

Nice project - you can make a gasket - trace the lid on an old inner tube and cut out holes for the two rods, or maybe find a mason jar seal ring but may not be compatible with PS fluid.

Looks pretty good all cleaned up, and yes red would be nice, but blue would be easier - no need to remove all the fenders and HW, dash etc. just get it close to current color match. Do you plan to sand and prime or?

Also, if you can add your location/state/province that helps if you are looking for input on parts etc.
Thanks Carl,
Yeah, I'll have to make something. Or I may take it up to the Tytan tractor place near me and see if they happen to have one. I am lucky in that regard. When I needed a clutch assembly I was able to drive about 30 minutes and pick up a new one same day. They are in Chehalis I think. I'm located outside of Kelso WA.

Every time I clean it it gets redder. The main tractor was painted black over the original red at the factory.

Not sure how far I am going with the paint. I have to remove the fenders and ROP to do the brakes. I have to remove the hood because I want to clean out the diesel tank so... maybe I will primer and paint the whole thing. It's a lot of work though for cosmetics.

Without knowing the actual size, I'll speculate that it's the same size as the old cartridge type oil filters.

View attachment 725523
I'll have to go measure it. Guessing it's about 8 inches in diameter. It does look very similar to the picture you posted. Was that filter for tractors or cars or both? What vintage about?