Just have to vent

/ Just have to vent #31  
Re: plastic

Our local weatherman can give a 5 day forecast,but the day of and the next day his favor line seems to be 50/50 /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif go figure.

/ Just have to vent #32  
Well, I for one am in favor of metal. My Murray lawn tractor Has a metal hood and it has been thoroughly beaten on and looks good as new xcept for a few scuffs. My Ariens has plastic and though its getting pretty old it's in good shape, however it just feels cheep and I don't like cheep quality, just cheep prices. Can I be the man of steel (AKA Superman)

/ Just have to vent #33  
It seems the thread has been reduced to one of personal preference, which is where this topic will always end up. Disciplined engineers consider the limitations of various materials and are required to find the best menage au trois between function, aesthetics, and contribution margin (cost) of the piece. Often, its the things that we think are "cheap" that add more cost to our products. A paradox--the perceptions of plastics/polymers are cheap but they may, in fact, contribute more to the cost than sheet metal. I don't know that for sure, but I'd bet a donut or a domestic beer that a metal hood is less expensive to manufacture than a high-impact-thermo-poly- carbo-nucleo-resin---whatever... plastic hood. Make sure you let me know if I got the science part right....

My $ 0.01 1/2 (adjusted for for current economic conditions) is that the new polymer hoods will have better long-term aesthetics unless left out in the elements or subjected to abuse or industrial conditions. I don't care what material is used, if you leave your equipment in the yard year round, ram it into the brush while working, or drop heavy objects on it it's going to get dented, cracked, broken, faded, or generally look like crap. Having said all that, I also believe a company should stand behind their products for a reasonble amount of time--the good ones do.

I think the original post was about the cost to replace the plastic hood. I wouldn't want to spend nearly $200 bucks to replace my hood either, but if you would have asked me to guess the cost of a NEW replacement hood for a lawn mower, plastic or metal, I would probably have guessed around $200 (that, BTW, my son would be working off for a few months if he was the responsible party). You've got to remember that most companies plan their manufacturing processes to make the same number of hoods as they do chassis and mower decks and headlights and steering wheels, etc. Parts like a hood are either planned overruns that sit for several years (in the dreaded "inventory" status) or special tooling jobs which are just plain expensive. Don't forget freight and other handling costs.

BigPete-Who's-About-to-Become-a-Mowin'-Maniac-for-Six-Months

/ Just have to vent #34  
Have you had any experience replacing a snowmobile hood ??

Same deal...about 7 1/2 pounds of poly-whatever for a couple of hundred bucks...then you need to have a body shop paint it. My buddy thinks they should give eveyone a free sled because they make so much money on the parts !!!

Maybe a free tractor ?? I'll pay for the hood !!!

/ Just have to vent
Bigpete

<font color=red>high-impact-thermo-poly- carbo-nucleo-resin---whatever... plastic hood. Make sure you let me know if I got the science part right....

<font color=black>Personally I could not argue with the science. My origional gripe has more to do with the type of plastic that is used on this particular mower (and price). I measured it today and it is 1/8 inch thick. But worse than that it is a very brittle hard non flexible type plastic almost like glass. The slightest thing will break it It is nowhere the quality of plastic that is used to make a $7.00 garbage can. (which is twice the size of the hood)

My TC35 has plastic fenders and hood. I have wrapped vines up in the rear tires that push the fenders up branches hit them even had the wife sitting on it. (No lectures please I know) Only damage is light scratches. Totally different kind of plastic.

As far as condition of the plastic before the break, it looked like brand new.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions for fixing it with fiberglass but there is not enough left to fix without a big to do. I can't express how cheesy this thing is.

Thanks

/ Just have to vent #36  
I am certain that your spouse would not even flex the lightest of materials used in the cheapest of tractor fenders. And no lecture, either.....

It does sound like a poor selction of materials by the engineers and I wouldn't suggest your gripe was unfounded. I've been through slightly different "rub" myself, different type of vehicle.

I had a brand new 1985 Toyota Celica Supra (of course in 1986) in which a corner of the "polymer" dashboard began to curl up. Naturally, Toyota was able to determine that "...if it's not our fault, it certainly must be your's....or the sun's....or God's..." which meant that I had a choice of gluing it and covering it with orange shag carpet and stuffed animals, or buying a new one. The latter option was selected so that I did not turn my pride and joy "chick-magnet" (I was single at the time) into a four-wheel birth control device. The original quote for the part was $225. I ordered it and after they began to install the replacement, they called me and told me that the labor was going to be another $275 /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

To make a short story even longer, I had them re-assemble the old dash, bought the part, and installed it over what seemed like a two-week period.

It's just too bad that you got the "lemon" hood model/year. Everybody gets a turn in the barrel sometime.

Regards,