Just got first TIG rig!

/ Just got first TIG rig! #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Just got the Miller TIG kit for the MultiMatic 200 (TIG/MIG/Stick combo machine, inverter). Its all assembled & ready.

But I'm out in the woods on my phone and can't peruse Youtubes efficiently. With luck, I can look at one, maybe two. It can take a long time to download even 2 minutes worth. Can anybody who has fast internet recommend which one? Prefer one with lots of startup info in about 5 minutes max.

No point even starting the generator until I can get some basics. I have gas-welded a lot, TIG'd alu one time with zero instruction & questionable results. For example I dont know if I touch the electrode, or just mash on the pedal. Sure would be great to have experience looking over my shoulder! Have only DC so will be doing steel only (no Alu).

Written tips appreciated too. Possibly the vids won't come in at all. Will bring the welder home though so I can practice at home.

TIA!

/ Just got first TIG rig! #2  
Just jump right in, you don't need no stinking videos!
Remember that mechanical engineering student I helped with the aluminum bike frame?
He went from this first picture, to the second picture in about 2-hours.

Attachments

• first weld.JPG
    first weld.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 287
  • last weld.JPG
    last weld.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 329
   / Just got first TIG rig!
Stinking videos will certainly accelerate success. Interesting you say 2 hours. Is that the same time-warp as your "2 weeks?" :laughing:

Still want video links if anybody knows of any for quick start / overview.

/ Just got first TIG rig! #4  
Tig Welding Basics

Jody is hard to beat for welding info and videos on you tube.. Welding tips and tricks.

/ Just got first TIG rig!
OK here's the 1st 3 TIG welds. This kind of welding is so "civilized". Similar to O/A but the flame doesn't blow the puddle around. And it's much more difficult to keep the arc lit than a flame, but you can reduce the heat. Neat stuff! Wish I had it years ago.

#1 First weld is just a bead on a flat 1/8" thick steel.
#2 weld on the outside corner of 18ga Stainless
#3 is a 3/8" pipe to the 18ga. The bead advances quicker than I expected, not easy to follow around the little 3/8 OD pipe.

I never did find a video showing how you start the arc. Can this be explained in words? Ended up just flooring the pedal, and lightly touch the point and lift off a tiny bit. Sometimes it sticks, and I do the stick-welding memory-motion and break it off like a dog with it's jaws on a gopher. I had to grind my tungsten sharp again 3 times. ,,,,,,need a better technique if I'm going to be a civilized man.

444151d1445032319-just-got-first-tig-rig-1st_3_tigwelds-jpg

Attachments

• 1st_3_TIgwelds.jpg
    1st_3_TIgwelds.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 649
   / Just got first TIG rig! #8  
ZAP one of the moderators over on Welding Web has a great idea for sharpening tungsten.
Remove the wheel guard on your bench grinder, and stand behind the bench grinder. Use a drill motor to spin the tungsten. Now this grinding wheel should only be used for grinding tungsten.

Attachments

• Tungsten grinder zap.JPG
    Tungsten grinder zap.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 232
   / Just got first TIG rig! #9  
You are making me want to go out to the shop and melt something with the tig that I have never used.

/ Just got first TIG rig! #10  
You are making me want to go out to the shop and melt something with the tig that I have never used.
Tig welding can be very enjoyable!

Attachments

• 1st rule.JPG
    1st rule.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Aluminum pipe 1.JPG
    Aluminum pipe 1.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Aluminum pipe 2.JPG
    Aluminum pipe 2.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Tight spot.JPG
    Tight spot.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 215

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2004 John Deer 7300 Max-Emerge 3-Point Planter (A34573)
2004 John Deer...
STOUT 48" FORK ATTACHMENT (A34808)
STOUT 48" FORK...
2498 HYD TRENCHER (A34733)
2498 HYD TRENCHER...
2000 KRONE 9' 3PT DISC MOWER, S/N 480931, 540 PTO (A34808)
2000 KRONE 9' 3PT...
2007 MACK MR688S CONCRETE PUMP TRUCK VN:1M2K189C57M036153 powered by Mack E7 diesel engine, 400hp, (A34907)
2007 MACK MR688S...
6' SWENSON SHEAR W/ (3) BLADES (A34808)
6' SWENSON SHEAR...