John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #42  
None taken; by wrong I mean you probably have some form of personal attachment to the GT25xx that causes you to feel it's superior to the X5xx. Don't think that's a knock on the Cub Cadet, so much as a testament to the overall quality of the Deere. Mechanically, the GT25xx is a solid machine; the Kohler Command is an excellent engine, the Hydro-Gear rear is absolutely solid, and these basics make up the current Cub Cadet XT3- which I've owned previously. The shaft-drive, a hallmark of Cub Cadet, does an excellent job maintaining a consistent transfer of power throughout the life of the machine, where the efficiency of a drive-belt will ware down in time. That aside, the design of the hood was absolutely preposterous, and it's ability to trap heat was second-to-none.

Now the Deere X5xx runs Kawasaki FH engines, to include formerly the liquid-cooled X540 and current fuel-injected X590; a belt transfers that power to a TuffTorq K72 rear-end, which provides more torque than the HG BDU-10 in the Cub Cadet. All models of the X5xx include a differential lock, I don't believe the GT25xx offered one, though eventually Cub offered it with the XT3 GSX- two generations after the GT25xx. I don't recall if the GT25xx offered hydraulics, or if you had to bump up to a GT30xx to get them; the higher-end X5xx machines had a basic hydraulic system that provides both power lift and steering- and I believe also powered attachments like the sleeve hitch. [EDIT]: Also, the Deere machines are offered with 4-wheel steer.

Both machines offered belt-driven rototillers, were excellent snow fighters, and had their fans. Both are, for all intents and purposes, still in production- though it's technically been two generations since the GT25xx was new, the XT3 is a direct descendent.

The Cub Cadet offers productivity and features similar to Deere at a lower price, where the Deere has (arguably I suppose) superior ergonomics and absolutely superior fit and finish. The Deere is also physically larger, and heavier.

I've never owned an X5xx, and absolutely loved my XT3, but there is a reason the X5xx sells so well- and it's not because they're a bargain.

Actually i just did the math on the torque of the BDU10L in the cub cadets, they actually have 626.5 footpounds of torque! No joke, all you have to do is convert 85 inch pounds into foot pounds and you get 7.1 then you multiply by the reduction ratio which is 30.6 by 7.1 and you get 217 footpounds continuous. For max axle torque, you have to divide 1000 by 85 and get 11.7 then multiply by 21 and get 245.7, then you multiply by the reduction ratio which is 30.6 and you get 7518.42 then you divide that by 12 and get 626.5 footpounds of max torque!

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #43  
None taken; by wrong I mean you probably have some form of personal attachment to the GT25xx that causes you to feel it's superior to the X5xx. Don't think that's a knock on the Cub Cadet, so much as a testament to the overall quality of the Deere. Mechanically, the GT25xx is a solid machine; the Kohler Command is an excellent engine, the Hydro-Gear rear is absolutely solid, and these basics make up the current Cub Cadet XT3- which I've owned previously. The shaft-drive, a hallmark of Cub Cadet, does an excellent job maintaining a consistent transfer of power throughout the life of the machine, where the efficiency of a drive-belt will ware down in time. That aside, the design of the hood was absolutely preposterous, and it's ability to trap heat was second-to-none.

Now the Deere X5xx runs Kawasaki FH engines, to include formerly the liquid-cooled X540 and current fuel-injected X590; a belt transfers that power to a TuffTorq K72 rear-end, which provides more torque than the HG BDU-10 in the Cub Cadet. All models of the X5xx include a differential lock, I don't believe the GT25xx offered one, though eventually Cub offered it with the XT3 GSX- two generations after the GT25xx. I don't recall if the GT25xx offered hydraulics, or if you had to bump up to a GT30xx to get them; the higher-end X5xx machines had a basic hydraulic system that provides both power lift and steering- and I believe also powered attachments like the sleeve hitch. [EDIT]: Also, the Deere machines are offered with 4-wheel steer.

Both machines offered belt-driven rototillers, were excellent snow fighters, and had their fans. Both are, for all intents and purposes, still in production- though it's technically been two generations since the GT25xx was new, the XT3 is a direct descendent.

The Cub Cadet offers productivity and features similar to Deere at a lower price, where the Deere has (arguably I suppose) superior ergonomics and absolutely superior fit and finish. The Deere is also physically larger, and heavier.

I've never owned an X5xx, and absolutely loved my XT3, but there is a reason the X5xx sells so well- and it's not because they're a bargain.

You do know that the 2500 series and XT3 weigh more than the X500 series right?

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #44  
You do know that the 2500 series and XT3 weigh more than the X500 series right?

The Cub Cadet does weigh more, though I do believe the Deere is dimensionally larger; I'd had this discussion with someone else prior and it completely left my thoughts. I wouldn't think that negates the rest of my post.

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #45  
The all-wheel-steering option was a game changer for me so I have a Deere X744. For yard mowing, it does a great job and the wife loves it. She mows the yard while I work on other stuff. I also have a 1983 982 IH Cub Cadet.

View attachment 752218View attachment 752219

Love the little 982, looks like a little IH farm tractor (Mini 1086 : )

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #46  
Love the little 982, looks like a little IH farm tractor (Mini 1086 : )
Thanks, being that the manual steering on these are kinda a weak point, I installed those 3 rib front tires. Wow, does it ever steer easier.

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #47  
The Cub Cadet does weigh more, though I do believe the Deere is dimensionally larger; I'd had this discussion with someone else prior and it completely left my thoughts. I wouldn't think that negates the rest of my post.

The Deere is slightly bigger yes, but if it weighs less doesn’t that tell you that its not as well made? It does have better fit and finish but not strength of construction.

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #48  
The Deere is slightly bigger yes, but if it weighs less doesn’t that tell you that its not as well made? It does have better fit and finish but not strength of construction.

Please feel free to explain this theory of yours where weight somehow directly applies to quality; I'm not trashing the Cub Cadet, I quite literally owned an XT3, but the X590 is a better machine. I thought I broke it down quite well; there is nothing wrong with personally preferring one over the other, but the X5xx gives you more if you're willing to pay for it.

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #49  
Please feel free to explain this theory of yours where weight somehow directly applies to quality; I'm not trashing the Cub Cadet, I quite literally owned an XT3, but the X590 is a better machine. I thought I broke it down quite well; there is nothing wrong with personally preferring one over the other, but the X5xx gives you more if you're willing to pay for it.

As far as hydraulics yes but they have the same capabilities. Also the cub having a stronger transmission it can do more strenuous tasks but still basically the same tasks. Also the 2500 series had a hydraulic tiller too.

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #50  
The Cub doesn't have a stronger transaxle, I don't know what has you saying that BDU10 outperforms the K72 but you'd be mistaken.