John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #31  
That 60" deck is in beautiful shape, is it original paint?
I doubt it. I bought the 982 in the late 90's and it had new paint, engine, tires, seat, fuel tank, steering wheel, etc....by the dealer. He would restore tractors during the winter months.

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #32  
I had a Cub Cadet that I used for "trimming" around my 5 acres of lawn, as well as mow the fenced in back yard (¼ acre). Didn't really like it from the 1st day I had it. Recently sold it for a used JD mower. Like the JD much better. Also seems to be more fuel efficient than the Cub. Parts are also easier to get and generic parts are less expensive (blades, filters, plug, etc) for the JD than the Cub.

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #33  
I had a Cub Cadet that I used for "trimming" around my 5 acres of lawn, as well as mow the fenced in back yard (¼ acre). Didn't really like it from the 1st day I had it. Recently sold it for a used JD mower. Like the JD much better. Also seems to be more fuel efficient than the Cub. Parts are also easier to get and generic parts are less expensive (blades, filters, plug, etc) for the JD than the Cub.
Do you remember the model by chance?

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #34  
Well, that blanket statement is disputable. Agreed from 1965-1985 Cub's and Wheel Horse were dominant GT's, and JD was late to the game with a true GT (garden tractor) as JD was focused on farm machines, and mowers were a sideline market that the farmer bought to mow the grass.

In years 1990-2000 JD caught up with the 318 model and other direct drive models, while CC and Wheelhorse were sold to Toro and MTD, and in the mid 90's they suffered from corporate cost cutting/mass market demand and JD developed more capable machines X500 and so on, so today I believe JD is now the leader in the true GT market, however CC does make a good machine too.

It's also relevant that consumers (1990-2010) wanted a "ride on mower" only, so the demand for true GT's got smaller, while the "consumer MTD market mower" exploded and at the same time, real compact tractors e.g. Kubota, and JD Yanmar machines entered the market.

As far as im concerned, the cub 2500 series are better than the x500 series. I own both tractors so i know first hand.

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #35  
You're entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be. 😂

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #37  
Do you remember the model by chance?
I think the Cub was a 1545 or a 1045. Had a 20 hp Koehler V-twin engine in it.
Sorry that's all this old fart can remember.

/ John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #38  
What do you mean by wrong? No offense.

None taken; by wrong I mean you probably have some form of personal attachment to the GT25xx that causes you to feel it's superior to the X5xx. Don't think that's a knock on the Cub Cadet, so much as a testament to the overall quality of the Deere. Mechanically, the GT25xx is a solid machine; the Kohler Command is an excellent engine, the Hydro-Gear rear is absolutely solid, and these basics make up the current Cub Cadet XT3- which I've owned previously. The shaft-drive, a hallmark of Cub Cadet, does an excellent job maintaining a consistent transfer of power throughout the life of the machine, where the efficiency of a drive-belt will ware down in time. That aside, the design of the hood was absolutely preposterous, and it's ability to trap heat was second-to-none.

Now the Deere X5xx runs Kawasaki FH engines, to include formerly the liquid-cooled X540 and current fuel-injected X590; a belt transfers that power to a TuffTorq K72 rear-end, which provides more torque than the HG BDU-10 in the Cub Cadet. All models of the X5xx include a differential lock, I don't believe the GT25xx offered one, though eventually Cub offered it with the XT3 GSX- two generations after the GT25xx. I don't recall if the GT25xx offered hydraulics, or if you had to bump up to a GT30xx to get them; the higher-end X5xx machines had a basic hydraulic system that provides both power lift and steering- and I believe also powered attachments like the sleeve hitch. [EDIT]: Also, the Deere machines are offered with 4-wheel steer.

Both machines offered belt-driven rototillers, were excellent snow fighters, and had their fans. Both are, for all intents and purposes, still in production- though it's technically been two generations since the GT25xx was new, the XT3 is a direct descendent.

The Cub Cadet offers productivity and features similar to Deere at a lower price, where the Deere has (arguably I suppose) superior ergonomics and absolutely superior fit and finish. The Deere is also physically larger, and heavier.

I've never owned an X5xx, and absolutely loved my XT3, but there is a reason the X5xx sells so well- and it's not because they're a bargain.

Last edited:
   / John Deere Vs Cub Cadet Garden Tractors #39  
I think the Cub was a 1545 or a 1045. Had a 20 hp Koehler V-twin engine in it.
Sorry that's all this old fart can remember.

Akin to this?

32030087_1.jpg