3-Point Hitch John Deere 5075M hitch problem

/ John Deere 5075M hitch problem #1  

mbarber84

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere
Hello All,

We recently purchased a brand new Deere 5075M 4wd with Cab. Additionally we bought a Kuhn GMD600GII HD rotary mower to use with this tractor. Our tractor is equipped with what Deere refers to as the "STANDARD DUTY" 3 pt hitch.

Recently I had a major malfunction and I would like to get other`s input on the situation. Here`s what happened:

I set the mower according to the tractor, and attached it to the tractor as explained in both machines' manuals. I proceeded to begin mowing pastures. Part way through my mowing, as I proceeded to make an up-hill turn on a medium grade, I lifted the mower using the hydraulic and also raised the hitch off the ground so that I could make my turn. As the tractor began to face up the hill, I heard a loud "BANG". When I looked behind me, I noticed that the right side telescopic draft link had been completely pulled from its socket. Upon closer inspection, it appears as though the "pawl" that is used to hold the telescoping arm in place under load had somehow worked itself loose and allowed the arm to extend. When this happened, the two retention bolts, which are used to prevent the arm from coming out of the socket, immediately failed (sheared in half) and allowed the arm to come out of the socket. Thus causing the mower to basically fall off the tractor. When the mower fell, it fell to the right side due to a lack of support, and also caused the top center link to bend at the outer threaded section.

Here is what I know:

1. The mower was properly attached to the tractor and adjusted to meet the size and dimensions of the tractor.

2. The mower is significantly UNDER the max rated weight load of the STANDARD duty hitch on the 5075m

3. The standard duty 3 pt hitch uses a "horizontal sliding pawl" in order to retain the telescopic arms under load. (ALL other Deere tractors we own (6 of them) use a "vertical lift type pawl"

4. The pawls were properly engaged and fully locked at the time I was operating the tractor. I know this is certain for 3 reasons.
A) I visibly inspected them for proper lock-up prior to starting
B) The mower tracked properly when egaged with the ground
C) The telescopic arms did not pop out on slopes.

Im looking for input, and also to see if anyone else has had issues with these new style horizontal pawls. In my mind this is a poor design. Under load, there is a chance these pawls could be compressed (the torsion spring that keeps them under tension is light) and thus allow the arms to pull out. Deere does offer a HEAVY DUTY telescopic arm as an option (Standard on 5105M) These arms use the same style vertical lift pawls that other deere tractors use (I.E. 3020, 4230, 4040, 6420 we operate)

I have contacted my dealer to see what they can do for me. The tractor has under 20 hrs on it. So far, all they can tell me is that they can replace the sheared retention bolts, the bent top link and thats it. They will allow me to purchase the Heavy Duty telescopic arms at their cost ($1200), but wont replace them under Warranty without some input from other users with similar problems. I also contacted Deere`s Customer Contact Center to see if they can help resolve the problem. I find it strange that, for years, Deere has used the "Lift" or "Verticle" type pawls, and now, all of a sudden offer these new ones that slide sideways. I really feel this is a serious design flaw.

Let me know what you all think. (sorry for the long-winded explanation but its difficult to describe my situation in less words)

THANKS! - Matt B.

/ John Deere 5075M hitch problem #2  
Wow! That would have been a real exciting couple of minutes!! :eek: Good thing you weren't mowing up a grade and have everything let loose under power... You might be looking at some major repairs for your $7-8,000 disc mower, too!

Thanks for the detailed explaination, Matt. I've had a moment or two of puzzlement over the horizontal pawl release on the extendable draft links, too.

They're not always consistent in either releasing or re-locking. Not nearly as "secure" as the old vertical release!

I've had to fuss with 'em quite a bit to get them to release and then - jerk or drag - drop the implement on the ground and back up to get them securely locked.

Definitely a significant issue to be aware of... especially if the safety links are not up to the task of holding! Time will tell how Deere addresses the problem.

AKfish

/ John Deere 5075M hitch problem #4  
AK,

How about posting a picture of the lower link when you get your tractor back?

/ John Deere 5075M hitch problem
Ak, Thanks for the input. I will keep my eyes on that.

In terms of the mower, it DID let loose under power. I was lucky enough that, when it let loose, it went directly to ground and didnt slip too far from the tractor. It took me a second or two to realize what went wrong, the PTO ran that few seconds. No damage at all to the mower, but if you`ve never dropped a 3pt rotary mower in the field....well....imagine trying to pick up a slinky from the top (LOL)

It took me close to 4 hrs to get it in to a position to put it back on our 6420 in order to haul it out of the field. I couldnt put it back on the 5075m due to the retention bolts shearing clean.

IF you wouldnt mind, could I ask you to write up a brief explanation of the trouble you have encountered with your 5075m hitch? My dealer suggested I find others who were having similar hitch problems. I truly believe Deere has made a big mistake converting to these lateral release pawls. I would appreciate anything you could provide. Im trying to get them to replace the lower arms with the heavy duty ones (with vertical release locks) under warranty. I told my dealer I would be happy to work with him on getting this settled, but unfortunately the decision rests with corporate. As I said earlier, I contacted the JDCCC on the issue. Im waiting to see how that turns out.

In the meantime, I have a tractor that is pretty much useless to me. I bought this one specifically to handle the mowing jobs so that I could cut down on operational hours on our larger tractors (6420 premiums), but I guess I`ll be mowing with them for now. I still cant figure out why deere would even bother with these light duty hitches when a they have a heavier duty version that is PROVEN....`been using them since the Ten and Twenty series tractors came out back in the `50s and `60s.

Im going to try to get some pics of the hitch damage and what not. I dont have the extendable arm piece, I left it at my dealership for them to look at. I think a combination of mechanical tolerance, insufficient lock-up surface on the arm, light pressure on the pawl retention spring, and lateral pressure from mowing on a grade caused the pawls to release. I think its a flaw Deere engineering failed to realize when they designed it. Just like almost all agriculutural equipment, this stuff is designed to be operated on the flat, not hilly terrain.

The tractor, other than this, has been fantastic. The cab is very nice for a smaller tractor. Im looking forward to mowing with it this summer, once we get this arm issue straightened out.

/ John Deere 5075M hitch problem #6  
IF you wouldnt mind, could I ask you to write up a brief explanation of the trouble you have encountered with your 5075m hitch? My dealer suggested I find others who were having similar hitch problems. I truly believe Deere has made a big mistake converting to these lateral release pawls. I would appreciate anything you could provide. Im trying to get them to replace the lower arms with the heavy duty ones (with vertical release locks) under warranty. I told my dealer I would be happy to work with him on getting this settled, but unfortunately the decision rests with corporate. As I said earlier, I contacted the JDCCC on the issue. Im waiting to see how that turns out.

Im going to try to get some pics of the hitch damage and what not. I dont have the extendable arm piece, I left it at my dealership for them to look at. I think a combination of mechanical tolerance, insufficient lock-up surface on the arm, light pressure on the pawl retention spring, and lateral pressure from mowing on a grade caused the pawls to release. I think its a flaw Deere engineering failed to realize when they designed it. Just like almost all agriculutural equipment, this stuff is designed to be operated on the flat, not hilly terrain.

The tractor, other than this, has been fantastic. The cab is very nice for a smaller tractor. Im looking forward to mowing with it this summer, once we get this arm issue straightened out.

I'd be happy to write up my experiences with the extendable draft links. They've never released or failed while I've used a 3pt implement with the tractor - but, the process to release the pawl and extend the link end is not a certain or secure exercise. I've tried to use spray lubricants - TriFlow, PBlaster, etc. - to get the spring/pawl mechanism to be more "certain" when it releases and re-latches. It's still kinda funky - IMO.

I put some of the "glitchiness" off to being new. I've got 155 hours on the tractor, now. Used it to rake, tedd and bale hay with and work a ~1,000lb rototiller and a heavier, 2,000lb Meri-Crusher (like a rototiller on steroids!). Hooking and unhooking the Meri-Crusher was the worst - backing the link ends into the draft housing and knowing/not knowing if they'd really latched. Ended up just dragging the thing with the pto off along the ground for 3-4 feet and checking the link ends.

Maybe when the paint wears off and there's just more metal on metal contact - you know - lightly oiled; not gummed up and the things should/would just click and slide and clank back in position! Then again... maybe not.

Nothing like the extendable link ends on the older, 3020-4020's or the newer 40 series that I've used recently. They're solid... you know when it pulls up - retracts and releases and you know when it drops back in and locks the link end in place!

Like to see your pictures, too.

AKfish

Just to give you a heads up, I got a call today from JDCCC and my contact representative. He and my salesman had a nice long chat.

They discussed my concerns and are working together to get it resolved. My dealer spoke very highly of me and my operation, and relayed to the CCC all my concerns.

Its nice to know that Deere will take an honest ear to my concerns. I`ll keep everyone posted.

AK...Im working on the pics. I will get them posted as soon as I Have a chance.

I did some more thinking on the issue, if those retention bolts sheared clean off while carrying a load that was approx. 1/2 of what the rated max load is, they must not be very good bolts...or a very good design. Those are supposed to be there as a last-ditch measure to prevent the very kind of failure I experienced. If they were designed to only hold the arms out under no pressure, thats not very good engineering foresight.

Still working on a solution to the whole thing....

I created these two comparison images using the John Deere Parts program

Take a look at the differences. Of special note is the motion in which the two latch systems release.

The standard duty latches move left and right, a move that could easily be accidently replicated in the field from implement movement or pressure, as well as jar and vibration from field work.

The heavy duty hitch system latches vertically, and in addition, has almost twice the amount of lock-up surface as the standard duty ones.

Attachments

• Standard Draft Link 2.jpg
    Standard Draft Link 2.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 2,260
  • Heavy Duty Draft Link 2.jpg
    Heavy Duty Draft Link 2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,249
   / John Deere 5075M hitch problem #9  
The diagrams really help explain your link and the heavy duty link. Thanks for posting.
Totally different than my old 2030. I need to look at my new to me 6415, betting it has HD links. What I like about the 2030 is you get a very generous extention and positive lockup.

Zebra,

We run 2 JD 6420`s on our farm. Both of them have the stronger, vertical locking systems. They are easy to use, and provide positive lock-up everytime. The "standard duty" system on my 5075m hitch is nowhere near the quality or reliability I have come to expect from a green and yellow tractor. Im hoping I can get the problem fixed.