John Deere 285 issue

/ John Deere 285 issue #1  

JohnDeereJake

Tractor
John Deere 285
Hey guys,

I just got a John Deere 285. Mowed with it for the past two days straight (10-12hrs total) and ran like an absolute dream.

Today I was showing my dad how great it runs…and of course…after running it around I went to back up…made it about 10 feet then it totally shut off. It didn’t bog down, or make any noise…just totally died.

The starter keeps turning but the motor only seems to try to grab to turn over for a split second then goes back to just the starter spinning.

I pulled the starter, checked the gear and the flywheel inside and everything looks fine…wired it back and touched it to the block then cranked it…the starter pops up and is spinning fine.

It almost seems like something isn’t allowing it to start.

When I turn the key, the fuel filter on the side doesn’t seem to be pushing fuel (I don’t know enough about it…does it only push fuel as the motor turns over? Because as i mentioned just the starter turns but the motor won’t rollover)

I pushed the lever in the back to disengage the hydro to roll it back. I pulled the back lid off, pulled the tank, away, and checked the nipple to engage and disengage the hydro and was obviously pushed in, but didn’t seem to want to come back out until I put some needle nose on it and pulled it back to renegade the hydro (don’t know much about it but guessing that isn’t normal?)

Anyway the hydro reengaged and still the motor doesn’t seem to want to fully turn over and the starter just spins.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to be as descriptive as possible. Oil was just changed and the hydro fluid is full.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

/ John Deere 285 issue #2  
Welcome to TBN

From the explanation, seems several gremlins involved. Not sure where to suggest you continue searching for one or more problems.
Do you have the operators manual? Are you familiar with the safety switches (seat, PTO off, reverse switch, to name a few that may be on your model) ??

Sounds like a mower isn't your first rodeo. Hope we can get you some help.

/ John Deere 285 issue
Welcome to TBN

From the explanation, seems several gremlins involved. Not sure where to suggest you continue searching for one or more problems.
Do you have the operators manual? Are you familiar with the safety switches (seat, PTO off, reverse switch, to name a few that may be on your model) ??

Sounds like a mower isn't your first rodeo. Hope we can get you some help.
Actually this mower is my first rodeo. I just called a friend to ask where to start and I did what he said.

I’ll do some reading and see what I can find. Thanks!

/ John Deere 285 issue #4  
Can you turn the engine over by hand?

Does that mower have the reverse override feature for backing up with deck engaged?

/ John Deere 285 issue
The more I think about it, the more things don’t make sense. If you would negate the initial shutoff, it doesn’t make sense that the starter is just spinning… if the starter is working properly, when the key is turned the gear should lift thus locking into the flywheel and cranking the motor…every once in a while I crank it and it seems to grab for a split second then just go back to spinning…

This tells me that…
1. The starter isn’t functioning properly and isn’t making correct contact with the flywheel
2. Something is telling the tractor not to start…but why would it allow the starter to spin?

/ John Deere 285 issue
Can you turn the engine over by hand?

Does that mower have the reverse override feature for backing up with deck engaged?
I tried finding somewhere to turn the mower over by hand but there isn’t a fan to spin (This is my first mower, I’m just using my vehicle knowledge)…

As mentioned, every once in a while the starter seems to grab and give the motor one crank before the starter just goes back to spinning

And not sure what you mean about the reverse override. I can put the mower in reverse while the deck is engaged if that answered the question

/ John Deere 285 issue #7  
Welcome to TBN! Per tractordata the 285 was made 89-92 timeframe with 18HP kawasaki EFI engine. I have a similar year Cub cadet 89 vintage and if the battery is weak the solenoid for the starter will spin but doesn't engage the flywheel. Ccheck your ground terminals too and if you have one of the portable jump starters, connect that to the battery and see if it engages the flywheel. If it does, then replace the battery.

The starter also likes a bit of lube on the moving parts - I hit it with Fluid film every year or two.

/ John Deere 285 issue #8  
One other thing - the starter switch (at least on my CC) has spade terminals that if corroded can also cause problems with starting - there should be two larger *usually red" wires going through the switch which engages the solenoid - if this is warm or has a bad connection tighten it up or replace the spade terminal ends.

/ John Deere 285 issue #9  
I tried finding somewhere to turn the mower over by hand but there isn’t a fan to spin (This is my first mower, I’m just using my vehicle knowledge)…

As mentioned, every once in a while the starter seems to grab and give the motor one crank before the starter just goes back to spinning

And not sure what you mean about the reverse override. I can put the mower in reverse while the deck is engaged if that answered the question
If starter turns motor some then stops the motor did not have mechanical failure and seize up. Your initial post about just stopped and then wouldn’t turn made me question this.

If you can back up with out pushing any buttons or switches you do not have the reverse interlock. Some models this feature shut engine off others just the deck. Since quit when going to reverse thought this might be a possible place to look for failing safety switch.

/ John Deere 285 issue #10  
Many starters have a bendix. This is suppose to extend when the starter spins and engage the flywheel. I had them literally freeze up (after my 4 wheeler took a winter’s swim). The starter will spin, but the engine doesn’t turn over. Disassembly and oiling fixed it.

If it was a safety switch, I don’t think the starter would turn over.

Why it quit when you where driving it is another mystery. Perhaps related, perhaps not.

Like others noted, if you have a bad battery or connection, this may of caused tractor to quit and also results in starter not turning fast enough to engage bendix.

Good luck.