JD447 Baler?

/ JD447 Baler? #1  

Southernspeed

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Furgeson 2850M
I'm looking at buying my first baler (amongst all the other equipment) to hay 15 acres on our farm. A JD447, standard pickup, no ramp has come up for sale locally. Are they any good? There seems to be so little info on them out there.
If they're 'ok' is there anything I need to look out for in particular?

Any info appreciated!

/ JD447 Baler? #2  
Had a 446. Good baler. I wouldn't go back to 4x4 and string only though.

/ JD447 Baler? #3  
Ditto I wouldn't want to be limited to 4' diameter either. I've never personally seen that model of JD rd baler.

/ JD447 Baler?
Ditto I wouldn't want to be limited to 4' diameter either. I've never personally seen that model of JD rd baler.
I don’t think they made a lot of them from what I can tell.
I don’t mind twine as it’s for horse hay and will be barn kept. Plus if we have surplus, the horse people around here seem to like that size. Easier to manage with a small tractor.
We are just getting into raising our own hay so we’re trying to start cheap!

/ JD447 Baler? #5  
There were a lot of the 335 446 447 family sold around here. Many had the high moisture kit for making haylage. Certainly less of the 446 447 models and by the time those were new most went the the 456 / 457 silage specials etc. Deere and NH owned the round baler market here for years.

4x4 is fine if you have small tractors to run the baler or handle the bales especially haylage weight.

Twine is ok if you are doing a few bales at a time. I make 4x4 and have made over 100 4x4 bales a day with twine wrap

/ JD447 Baler? #6  
I'm looking at buying my first baler (amongst all the other equipment) to hay 15 acres on our farm. A JD447, standard pickup, no ramp has come up for sale locally. Are they any good? There seems to be so little info on them out there.
If they're 'ok' is there anything I need to look out for in particular?

Any info appreciated!
I'll add no ramp is a little extra work when baling, unless you dump bales heading uphill everytime. I have ramp on NH and still have to back up (and turn) if I am headed downhill when ejecting bale. If you are only making a few bales it's not exactly a deal breaker.

/ JD447 Baler?
I'll add no ramp is a little extra work when baling, unless you dump bales heading uphill everytime. I have ramp on NH and still have to back up (and turn) if I am headed downhill when ejecting bale. If you are only making a few bales it's not exactly a deal breaker.
Please excuse my ignorance (I'm trying to learn, even at my age!) but what/how does the ramp aid production? The dealer sells new ramps (not sure if they are for this particular model) but they are around $2k. I'll mostly be on the flat but a few acres are on a gentle grade.

/ JD447 Baler? #8  
Welcome Southernspeed.
It helps the baler eject the bale away from the baler after the wrap/tie cycle rather than just sit under the baler.

Stick around and keep asking questions. Most of the people around here will answer you in a polite & helpful manner.

Last edited:
   / JD447 Baler? #9  
On level ground ramp allows bale to roll far enough behind baler to give tailgate clearance to close. The ramp allows clearance to close rear gate without the need to back baler up from windrow then eject bale then pull up & close tailgate

/ JD447 Baler? #10  
Please excuse my ignorance (I'm trying to learn, even at my age!) but what/how does the ramp aid production? The dealer sells new ramps (not sure if they are for this particular model) but they are around $2k. I'll mostly be on the flat but a few acres are on a gentle grade.

As stated it lets the bale roll away from the baler and lets the tailgate close with out moving the tractor. What this means is you clutch tractor, tie the bale, open the tailgate, the bales rolls out, you close tailgate, the let clutch out to keep baling.

Without ramps, you have the extra step of shifting into reverse, backing up several feet before opening tailgate, plus drive ahead beforing close tailgate and not taking hay in the bale).

2k for ramps seems like a lot, and as I find, ramps and pointing downhill mean you still have to back up before dumping bale or it will roll into the tailgate instead of away from the baler.