JD1010C Fluid Checks

/ JD1010C Fluid Checks #1  

Rvnlrrp

Tractor
JD1010 Crawler
JD1010 Crawler been under a tarp in the woods for over 35 years.

Got it out and running. Hydraulic fluid and engine oil changed.

Question: on the right side is the engine oil fill and toward the front past the oil filter is another “check point”..what is that? Transmission fluid?

Went through owners manual and can’t determine what it is.

Attachments

• 542DC46E-FED8-427B-9E82-0FE9367CF5E7.jpeg
    542DC46E-FED8-427B-9E82-0FE9367CF5E7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 95
   / JD1010C Fluid Checks #2  
She's a beauty. Welcome to TBN

Can you post up a pic of the area in question? Include the engine oil fill and/or the oil filter.

/ JD1010C Fluid Checks #3  
Welcome to this forum
Ditto photo is worth 1000 words.

/ JD1010C Fluid Checks
Picture of “fill points”, to left of oil filter and not sure what the one to the right is. Just a plug, no dipstick.

5E8A8AB3-DDD1-4081-8F5A-18BD6CDF8B28.jpeg
C4F7C1F5-B4DD-4E11-B354-A510A15E40AB.jpeg

/ JD1010C Fluid Checks #5  
JD1010 Crawler been under a tarp in the woods for over 35 years.

Got it out and running. Hydraulic fluid and engine oil changed.

Question: on the right side is the engine oil fill and toward the front past the oil filter is another “check point”..what is that? Transmission fluid?

Went through owners manual and can’t determine what it is.

Wow! That looks like a real nice find! What's the history on that old JD?

/ JD1010C Fluid Checks
Crawler was my son’s father-in-law, and as long as I’ve known it has been in the woods under a tarp.

Replaced alternator and today topped off transmission fluid, engine oil and installed new fuel filter.

It runs good but frequently acts like it’s low on fuel. I’ll check fuel lines to correct any air leaks.

/ JD1010C Fluid Checks
371DBF11-4206-4D39-826F-1929D6BCBD0C.jpeg

/ JD1010C Fluid Checks #8  
Picture of “fill points”, to left of oil filter and not sure what the one to the right is. Just a plug, no dipstick.

Looks like just another fill point, maybe due to when a loader is added to this crawler and no way to get at the one to the left to fill with oil. But certainly looks like it just goes to the crankcase. Shows in jdparts as a plug, best I can tell.
Key item #34, plug cupped

/ JD1010C Fluid Checks
   / JD1010C Fluid Checks #10  
Crawler was my son’s father-in-law, and as long as I’ve known it has been in the woods under a tarp.

Replaced alternator and today topped off transmission fluid, engine oil and installed new fuel filter.

It runs good but frequently acts like it’s low on fuel. I’ll check fuel lines to correct any air leaks.

Old gas taps and carburetors will form internal varnish as the gas evaporates. That makes floats heavier and will narrow fuel passages. But that you see more at idle than at throttle.

I'm not sure about the type of gas tap -there were two I know of. The type that turns on automatically via oil pressure has a diaphram and needle valve plus and a small penny-size flat screen filter in the gas .Those parts can get old, restrict gas flow, and of course that acts like low fuel flow because it is. Symptom is it just runs slower and slower until it quits.

If it runs OK but won't rev up and seems like it has no power past half throttle that is often wear on the cam follower on the ignition points. Take off the distributor cap and - adjust the points. My old 530 gas JD is about .015" max opening for the points. Wear makes the spark retarded and it won't rev up.

rScotty