Loader JD 542 FEL - Timing Rod

/ JD 542 FEL - Timing Rod #1  

DanielJ

Tractor
John Deere 5625
John Deere 542 FEL has 2 main pins which the bucket assembly rotates up or down on. Between these pins (on the same axis) there is a 40" by 1" stainless steel rod pinned into 2 welded sockets. It is called a Timing Rod. I tore mine up on a stump. How critical is this rod and what is its purpose??

Thanks.

Dan Johnson

/ JD 542 FEL - Timing Rod #3  
How bad is yours damaged? Can it be fixed, maybe srtaightened with a press? I would want it repaired.

/ JD 542 FEL - Timing Rod
It is bent but can probably be straightened with a press. I agree that it should be repaired. Thanks for the help.

/ JD 542 FEL - Timing Rod #6  
i bent mine years ago.been meaning to straighten it,just had not got around to do it.since i have been running without one for years ,i don't think it is necessary.

/ JD 542 FEL - Timing Rod #7  
Might be cheaper to replace the rod than to have it straightened. I had to replace the timing rod on my 400X FEL a few mos ago (broke where pin goes thru) and it was around $140 for the new timing rod.

/ JD 542 FEL - Timing Rod #8  
I've had mine bent periodically over the years by rocks and stumps. My dealer straightens it out each time for $40-50. In fact mine could use straightening again....Gary

/ JD 542 FEL - Timing Rod #9  
Hello: I saw your link to an article on the JD site about the JD 542 FEL timing rod. I tried to follow the link, but it just takes me to the main JD Service and Support page. I haven't been able to find the article. Do you know how we can access it?

Thank you for any help!
vickers

/ JD 542 FEL - Timing Rod #10  
Please see attachment, not the best of quality to read, but that is all I have.

Attachments

• timingrod.pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 549