JD 5101E Open Station won’t light up dash or spin over.

/ JD 5101E Open Station won’t light up dash or spin over. #21  
RE503242 is referred to as a temperature switch in 5093E, 5101E & many other JD parts catalogs. My understanding is this temp. switch senses coolant temp & aids in altering injection pump timing during colder ambient temperature initial engine start process.

That same type temp switch has been failing since introduction of the 5X10 model JD utility tractors. I wonder how many 1000 of those temperature switches JD dealers have sold in 20+ yrs
Thanks, one thing is for sure when it goes you are done, tractor dies , ignition fuse is blown and if you don't know about this particular issue it will make you scratch your head until you un-plug that sensor.

/ JD 5101E Open Station won’t light up dash or spin over. #22  
   / JD 5101E Open Station won’t light up dash or spin over. #23  
Due to the many 1000's of similar sensors that have failed on JD utility tractors I performed a Google search on JD utility tractor non starting problems & received several hits. There's even a short video explaining an easy solution to the fuse blowing
Yeah, that's the sensor, curiously on the guy in the video's tractor it blew the 10 amp starter relay fuse , mine was a 20 amp ignition fuse and I believe Brown dog's was as well, anyhow thank's to the internet lot's of people won't have to guess when this happens to them and I believe it is WHEN rather than IF. :)

/ JD 5101E Open Station won’t light up dash or spin over. #24  
I wonder if an inline fuse could be put in the cold start sensor wiring harness so when the sensor fails, and the inline fuse blows the tractor still starts. Same way it starts when the sensor is unplugged.

/ JD 5101E Open Station won’t light up dash or spin over. #25  
I am certain that you could, but how would you know when the sensor went bad? Unless you checked the in-line fuse on a regular basis.

/ JD 5101E Open Station won’t light up dash or spin over. #26  
If one wired a small light across the fuse, it would illuminate when the fuse was blown. Yet, not allow enough current to blow the fuse. BUT ... One would still have to check the light when the engine was running. Unless the light was installed on the dash panel. In your face,o_O so to speak.

/ JD 5101E Open Station won’t light up dash or spin over.
It’s pretty simple with the forum members help : just unplug the sensor when the ignition fuse blows then replace the 20a fuse on a 4cyl Eng / 10a on 3cyl & your back to work :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
   / JD 5101E Open Station won’t light up dash or spin over. #28  
   / JD 5101E Open Station won’t light up dash or spin over. #30  
I disconnected mine several years ago. Intended on replacing it but never did. Have had no issues starting even in cold weather. Cold for south MS that is. 20’ and 30’s about as cold as it gets and I usually don’t have to be on tractor during the really cold periods.