JD 4720 tie rod?

/ JD 4720 tie rod? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
my front left (sitting in the cab) wheel has play in it. i noticed it had a bit of a wobble - all the bolts are tight. when the wheels are off the ground, the right wheel is nice and tight, but the left has play and it moves - it seems the tie rod is either too loose or parts are warn? i have about 240 hrs on the tractor. i took off the left castle nut and was going to try and tighten up the tie rod by turning the end-cap in a bit on the rod, but i could not get the threaded part out - and each lock nut seems like it's spot welded in place. i just put it back together - i'd really like to fix this myself, but i don't want to make it worse. does in need to be adjusted or are parts warn. i hate to call the dealer - they will keep my tractor too long. :confused:

/ JD 4720 tie rod? #2  
Is the slack in the ball-joint or the tapered part that's inserted into the steering arm?? Altering the tie rod end in the tube will affect frt wheel toe-in.

/ JD 4720 tie rod?
Is the slack in the ball-joint or the tapered part that's inserted into the steering arm?? Altering the tie rod end in the tube will affect frt wheel toe-in.

Not sure. the left wheel (only) can be wiggled Left & Right about one inch. Call it "play" when the wheel is moved with my hands while in the air, the Tie Rod alone with the sealed ball joint end at the tire moves along with it.