JD 445 Engine Replacement

/ JD 445 Engine Replacement #1  

TN8Man

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 CAB HST
So I have a 445 that I want to bring back to life starting with a good replacement engine. It currently has the Kawasaki FD620D but I see online from repowerpros that they will provide a NEW KAWASAKI FD791D 29 HP REPLACEMENT ENGINE KIT FOR JOHN DEERE 445 LAWN TRACTOR for $3,200.

I just started looking around and not familiar with repowerpros or what other options are available.

Any advice and/or comments welcome.

/ JD 445 Engine Replacement #2  

Googling "Garden tractor replacement engine kits" gave me actually more than these 3 options. Unfortunately none of the kits are much cheaper than an original engine from John Deere.

I once replaced an Onan in a JD 400 with a liquid cooled Kawasaki engine. I didn't use a "kit", I just built what I needed to make it fit. It worked really well and made the 400 into a totally different tractor.

Last edited:
   / JD 445 Engine Replacement #3  
So I have a 445 that I want to bring back to life starting with a good replacement engine. It currently has the Kawasaki FD620D but I see online from repowerpros that they will provide a NEW KAWASAKI FD791D 29 HP REPLACEMENT ENGINE KIT FOR JOHN DEERE 445 LAWN TRACTOR for $3,200.

I just started looking around and not familiar with repowerpros or what other options are available.

Any advice and/or comments welcome.

What's wrong with the engine that is in it ?

Richard

/ JD 445 Engine Replacement
What's wrong with the engine that is in it ?

Richard
It's been a few years since I started it but it was smoking pretty good, fouling spark plugs often and losing HP.

/ JD 445 Engine Replacement #5  
If your going to keep it for mowing etc. then a repower is a good choice but sounds like you don't need/use it very much I would do a compression check, then pull the top end off and check the head gasket and valves - you may be able to fix for relatively low $.

If the cylinder walls are scored depends on your ability, desire and time to rebuild, it may be best just to do the repower if you're going to keep it and use it. On the other hand as is might be $1-1500 range, and repowered if otherwise in good/nice condition $4K or so.

If your going to keep it for mowing etc. then a repower is a good choice but sounds like you don't need/use it very much I would do a compression check, then pull the top end off and check the head gasket and valves - you may be able to fix for relatively low $.

If the cylinder walls are scored depends on your ability, desire and time to rebuild, it may be best just to do the repower if you're going to keep it and use it. On the other hand as is might be $1-1500 range, and repowered if otherwise in good/nice condition $4K or so.
I'm going to keep it for mowing once fixed. Its a far better machine compared to my current Husqvarna TS 354D mower.

/ JD 445 Engine Replacement #7  
Do a compression test and 100-120 PSI is the low end its worth pulling the head off and checking the top end - valves, head gasket, and cylinders for scoring, then decide a course of action.

Or just repower - the Kawasaki are good engines you have noted in the original post.

I will assess the engine condition including compression tests and attempt to get the engine running before I spend any significant money.