JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #21  
Lots of people like them. I’ve never cared for the closed in feeling.
A cab would be nice in Iowa winters but they are not very handy in the woods.

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #22  
My final decision is whether to order an MX6000 or Grand L6060.

I am age 74.

If you plan to tractor into old age buy a Kubota Grand L over the equivalent weight MX tractor. I have owned two economy tractors. I occasionally operate Deere economy tractors for my (even) older neighbors. I now own an open station Kubota L3560 Grand L. I am sure the deluxe Grand L features will add at least six years to my tractoring time. WELL WORTH THE MONEY.

If you will be farming for profit on your land you may be sales tax exempt for your tractor.

Discuss sales tax exemption with your dealer.
I don’t see anything about a deluxe tractor that makes it more usable for older operators, or anything age restrictive on basic tractors that don’t have all of the electronic bells and whistles. It seems to be more about user preference. I prefer the simplicity of my MX and sought it out over a smaller grand L that could be had for a similar price (both open station). By forgoing all of the electronic add-ons, I was able to purchase a more powerful machine at the same price.

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #23  
I should have told you that you are correct on the models,, pricing and transmissions. The 5065E pricing is a cabbed 4wd tractor with the PowerReverser. The two 4 series are both cabbed tractors.
Those prices are fairly typical prices in that case. There likely isn't much wiggle room if they have to special order something for you. If they have something sitting on the lot or on order "for the lot" that isn't sold but isn't yet on the lot, you may get more wiggle room.

Note the letters E and R in the codes. E denotes economy,R denotes performance.

The "trim level" letter ranges from "A" to "Z" with earlier letters in the alphabet denoting more basic machines and later letters denoting more features, according to Deere. The letters are officially stated to not stand for anything. Sometimes as with the 4 series, the different trim levels are simply different feature sets on the exact same chassis. Other times, as with the 3 or 5 series, each trim level actually denotes a different machine with a different chassis. It really only is used to compare tractors within a series and not across different series.

Deere currently uses D, E, G, M, and R for U.S. market tractors.

I don’t see anything about a deluxe tractor that makes it more usable for older operators, or anything age restrictive on basic tractors that don’t have all of the electronic bells and whistles. It seems to be more about user preference. I prefer the simplicity of my MX and sought it out over a smaller grand L that could be had for a similar price (both open station). By forgoing all of the electronic add-ons, I was able to purchase a more powerful machine at the same price.

I would agree, it's absolutely user preference. Some people prefer all of the bells and whistles, some don't really care, and some people cuss at them as getting in their way. However, it bears stressing that these are user preferences and if somebody doesn't choose a tractor with all of the bells and whistles, they can still safely and effectively do the job that size and power of tractor can do. That point can definitely get lost in discussions.

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #24  
Many of those grand features are standard on LS, TYM and Branson tractors. They are all better value than the Deere or the Kubota (in most cases).

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #25  
Many of those grand features are standard on LS, TYM and Branson tractors. They are all better value than the Deere or the Kubota (in most cases).
I agree that those brands produce some great tractors and are good value. But I have none of those dealers within several hundred miles. And the closest Branson dealer also is a feed store with tractor sales as a sideline. Dealer parts and service for those brands can be lacking in many regions of the country, while Kubota and Deere dealerships seem to be everywhere.

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #26  
I agree that those brands produce some great tractors and are good value. But I have none of those dealers within several hundred miles. And the closest Branson dealer also is a feed store with tractor sales as a sideline. Dealer parts and service for those brands can be lacking in many regions of the country, while Kubota and Deere dealerships seem to be everywhere.
Good point...McDonalds is also everywhere, but I only eat there when there are no other options.

We are lucky where I am. The only brands that are not available locally (+/- 100 miles)are Yanmar and RK (which of course is just a TYM anyway).

I didn't see a location for the OP, so I stand by my assertion. Not everyone lives is the beautiful, but sparsely populated, Land of Enchantment. You are not wrong, though. Some people do not get many options. Who knows, maybe that Branson dealer that started out as a feed store will grow into a fantastic dealership.

A restaurant about 5 miles from here started out as a gas station. The owner/chef could not get a loan for a restaurant, but he could for the gas station. The place is fantastic and no longer even sells gas. Expanded twice and now has a 2nd restaurant in a wealthier suburb. It was featured on DDD some years back. The point is, you never know.

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #27  
Based on my experience, if I had to do it again I would have gone with the bigger tractor I looked at when I bought my TC40. I think the 5065 would be a good fit for the land you are going to be working on. Bigger, stronger loader and beefier tractor for the price. If I was buying right now, I would be all over the 5 series tractor. I have been burning brush piles from where I cleared my land a few years ago when I built my house and there are stumps that my current tractor will not pick up. I have to push and maneuver to get them where I want. I get it done but it takes time and I have to be careful. The 5 series would handle them a whole lot better.

A friend of mine has the 4052 and it its a nice tractor with plenty of power. If you decide on the 4 series, I think the extra money for the 4066 is not worth it.

Either way, any of the tractors you mentioned will be nice to have and provide years of service. Also, I would invest in a grapple bucket right off the bat. My grapple stays on the tractor 85% of the time. Pallet forks as well. The forks and really handy.

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #28  
I just got an even more outrageous quote from JD for a 4052, about 5K more than you. I just can’t stand that company and their gouging ways, “supply chain” or not. It’s always been the same, it’s just now they have their little inflation green card to jack prices by large factors. Get it while you can! I’ve grown to despise John Deere

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #29  
I just got an even more outrageous quote from JD for a 4052, about 5K more than you. I just can’t stand that company and their gouging ways, “supply chain” or not. It’s always been the same, it’s just now they have their little inflation green card to jack prices by large factors. Get it while you can! I’ve grown to despise John Deere
The OP's quote was for 57k in Dec. 2021
Your extra 5k is about 9 percent higher in over 2.5 years.
In todays world that's not a big deal, comparatively speaking.

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #30  
We have a 5065E, used on 120 acres of combined pasture and mountain land, for everything from mowing, plowing, and discing to road work, firewood, and snow removal. It has been about the perfect choice. We also have a 790 for small, tight work, but the bigger tractor is often a must. It may be a budget tractor, but there's also less frills to go wrong/work on.