JD 175 not starting - help!

/ JD 175 not starting - help! #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Hey ya'll...

Having some trouble with my JD 175. It has a new starter on it, its been working great for the past couple weeks. Today I tried to start it up and... nothing.

Its not turning over at all. I don't get a click or a stutter or anything... the only "click" seems to be coming from the front of the engine near the carb... not sure what that is though.

I started by checking all the connections that I can see - everything seemed good. Battery voltage is good. I checked the under-seat saftey switch and its working fine (previous owner jumpered it so it doesn't even function, but I checked the continuity and its fine).

So that leads me to believe that its the safety switch that is linked to the brake pedal that requires it to be pushed down to crank.

The problem is, I can't find it. Pulled the deck off and looked underneath and couldn't find it.

Any advise on locating this switch and/or other reason's why my JD wouldn't crank would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dennis

/ JD 175 not starting - help! #2  
Sounds like a safety switch issue. Can also be the safety switch to engage the blades. Make sure that switch is in. Just to be sure, you may want to jump 12v to starter solenoid to make the starter does in fact work. Just hold a screwdriver or something metal between the battery terminal on the starter and the start terminal on the starter. If it cranks then the starter is good and you have a safety switch problem. As for where they are...just go the brake pedal or clutch for the deck belt and there should be two wires in the vicinity. Unplug the connector and jumper across the wires and if it works you found the problem.

/ JD 175 not starting - help! #3  
Check your battery charge too. I've had issues with a mower that had charging problems that when the battery got low it wouldn't put out enough juice to work the relays, etc.

/ JD 175 not starting - help! #4  
"So that leads me to believe that its the safety switch that is linked to the brake pedal that requires it to be pushed down to crank.The problem is, I can't find it. Pulled the deck off and looked underneath and couldn't find it."

That switch is located behind the plastic valence under the dashboard, on the left hand side. I just had a problem with my 185 last spring, after 20 years, and it was just that the spade terminals had some corrosion on them. I cleaned up the terminals, reinstalled the wires and all was well.