JD 1600wam

/ JD 1600wam #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I purchased a new JD Wide Area Mower (I have a tractor too 3720...so it's okay to talk to me) and used it for the fist time this weekend. It's great except for one major problem. Mostly, I mow feilds not a lawn and just about every time I hit a bump, it's thinks I went Absent without leave! and it shuts down. this happend about 15 times in 3-4 hours of mowing :mad:. I only weigh 130 (hey, I'm a cyclist) and I've adjusted the seat and re-adjusted - nothing seems to help. Can the switch be made less prone to doing this?
Thanks

/ JD 1600wam #2  
Does it do this with the seat belt on?

Can disconnect the switch (at your own risk) or add some tension on the seat. It is an open/closed switch I believe, so no "adjustment".

/ JD 1600wam
thanks. tried with seat belt on and off...did not seem to matter much. I thought with the belt on..it would help keep me planted. not mowing too fast either. I have a JD Z mower that does not have this issue when mowing the same ground.:confused:

/ JD 1600wam #4  
Re: JD 1600WAM...

Does it do this with the seat belt on?

Can disconnect the switch (at your own risk) or add some tension on the seat. It is an open/closed switch I believe, so no "adjustment".

:)

/ JD 1600wam #5  
Re: JD 1600WAM...

I don't know anything about your piece of equipment, but if you didn't want to bypass the switch and there was no way to adjust it, you could "re-engineer" it.
You could use the seat switch contacts to control a time delay relay set for a couple of seconds. The relay would then control the safety circuit.

Last edited:
   / JD 1600wam #6  
997, you could just let me come up and take that 1600 off your hands since its giving you problems.... :thumbsup:

I have always wanted a 1600, justs cant justify it on my jobs.

Might see if you can put something inbetween the safety switch button and the bottom of the seat, like a spacer to make the switch more sensitive.

/ JD 1600wam #7  
This is the most baffling picture I've yet seen on JDParts. I have no idea what the switch contacts to know there is someone on the seat.....

Can you post a picture of your seat switch?

If you can reduce the space between the contacts, your nimble weight would always be enough to close it.

Attachments

• LX020693_______UN08DEC98.gif
    LX020693_______UN08DEC98.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 115
   / JD 1600wam #8  
How about a more simple solution.
You need more weight.
Wear one of those 20 lbs vests used in the gym to increase your weight or add
some sort of weight pad to the seat. Probably once you get over 155, it won't shut off.
Just a thought.
GJSnow.

/ JD 1600wam
Thanks all. this weekend I'm going to remove the seat and do some looking around. I hate to turn off this safty switch but with the mower shutting down all the time, it defeats the value of the mach.

BTW, the 1600 rocks! it has the ground speed of my 997 Z and it's cut is about 2x as wide. I have a lot of wet spots/springs during the fall and spring and I'm hopeful the 4wd will help that too.

/ JD 1600wam #10  
Replying to old thread in hopes of helping someone else with this issue.not recommended but I jumped across the wires and disabled the seat.did not fix.it was neutral switch.2 wire switch at rear near engine where the frt and rear linkage goes. You can jump it as well long enough to see if that is it.that fixed mine.