Help with starter for a JD 210 lawn tractor

/ Help with starter for a JD 210 lawn tractor #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I bought a basket case JD 210 lawn tractor (1986) and went all over it. Got it running, new belts, etc, etc. Mowed with it a couple of times for a total of about 5 or 6 hours. Got it for the wife to use. (she likes it) Runs and mows great. Yesterday it would not start. Starter not kicking in. Battery good. Took it out and apart and one of the brushes had a wire broke off and the teeth on the starter were worn real bad. Looking on the net to buy a new one and they range from $60 to $150. Don't have a problem paying the $150 if it is that much better. Do not like to do things twice. I'm a do it once, do it right and be done with it kind of a guy. Any of you know of a good source to buy a good starter for this lawn tractor? It's a Kohler 10 hp single cylinder. K241AQS series. Thanks for all of your help. It's appreciated. RRM

/ Help with starter for a JD 210 lawn tractor #2  
You might try the local lawn tractor grave yard or perhaps Craigslist in your area.

/ Help with starter for a JD 210 lawn tractor #3  
My garden tractor has a two cylinder Kohler engine. I've had no problem with my eBay starter. One could also try Amazon. Or you could just pick up a couple brushes and continue using it until the gears no longer mesh.

/ Help with starter for a JD 210 lawn tractor #4  
$60.00 new on Amazon

/ Help with starter for a JD 210 lawn tractor #5  
I bought a basket case JD 210 lawn tractor (1986) and went all over it. Got it running, new belts, etc, etc. Mowed with it a couple of times for a total of about 5 or 6 hours. Got it for the wife to use. (she likes it) Runs and mows great. Yesterday it would not start. Starter not kicking in. Battery good. Took it out and apart and one of the brushes had a wire broke off and the teeth on the starter were worn real bad. Looking on the net to buy a new one and they range from $60 to $150. Don't have a problem paying the $150 if it is that much better. Do not like to do things twice. I'm a do it once, do it right and be done with it kind of a guy. Any of you know of a good source to buy a good starter for this lawn tractor? It's a Kohler 10 hp single cylinder. K241AQS series. Thanks for all of your help. It's appreciated. RRM
It's been my experience that you can find a 60 dollar starter, or you can find somebody to sell you a 60 dollar starter for 150 dollars. I imagine you can even find someone to sell you a 60 dollar starter for 457 bucks. But in the end, it's a 60 dollar starter.

/ Help with starter for a JD 210 lawn tractor
Thanks fell'as. The JD dealer wanted as much for just the gear as you can buy a whole new starter for. I'll do some looking on the net. Most, if not all of them, are made in China. Thanks again.