Loader JD 146 Loader Replace Seals

/ JD 146 Loader Replace Seals #1  

Rathpr

Hello

I have a JD 146 loader and am trying to replace the seals on the bucket cylinders. I removed the snap ring (#C15412). Its my understanding from reading some other threads that I need to pull on the rod so that the guide (#W21659) pulls out. Looking at the parts catalog the guide is about 1" to 1.5" long. The rod will not pull out any farther because there is another snap ring on the other side of the guide. I then need to remove the other snap ring (#C12431) and then the entire rod with seals will come out. Has this been anyone else experience? Its going to take some force to remove the rod and guide and wanted to make sure before I started torquing on everything. Thanks.

P8300009.JPGP8300010.JPG

/ JD 146 Loader Replace Seals #2  
Look closely ...my deere cylinders had a round wire ring in a groove that retained the rod gland. I had to push the rod gland into the cylinder to remove the retainer. Then there was a "groove filler" in the kit to guide the seals over the groove.

/ JD 146 Loader Replace Seals #3  
I looked at Deere parts. I believe C12431 is the round wire retaining ring. You have to push W21659 into the cylinder to access C12431. The existing seals may or may not catch on the groove. The groove filler assures they will not.

/ JD 146 Loader Replace Seals
Thanks I'll take a look.

I was going to order the seal kit. Does the plastic piece come with the JD kit? I talked with Baum Hydraulics and their seal kit does not have the plastic groove filler. Is there another place to order the kit that has the plastic piece that is lower in price then JD? Thanks.

/ JD 146 Loader Replace Seals #7  
Rathpr
Have you checked with an A&I dealer for a cyl kit?

Well I got the cylinder apart thanks to the good advice and have the replacement seal kit. I started taking the seals off and it appears that whoever did this last might have placed a few in backwards. The bucket has had a lot of creep since I bought it and this might explain why. Before I put this back together I wanted to see if anyone could help and make sure Im putting in the seals correctly. The first seals are he primary piston seals (#7) these are the stack of cup shaped seals (picture below). Another thread said that the cupped side should be facing the retaining nut, this would make sense since this is the direction of the force from the fluid. These were facing the opposite direction when I removed them.

The second question placement of the primary ram seal (#13) at the end of the ram guide. I found it so that the cup was facing away from the ram guide and the cylinder (picture below). Its my understanding that the cup should be facing toward the ram guide and cylinder, the smooth flat side will be facing outward. As always any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
P9110017.JPG
P9110023.JPG

/ JD 146 Loader Replace Seals #9  
I know it has been quite a while since you did this job but I was wondering if you remember what it finally took for you to get the guide out. I tried driving mine in to access the second snap ring but it seems to have hit a stopping point with no snap ring in sight. I'd appreciate any advice you could give. Thanks.