It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker

/ It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
Happy memorial day! Brisket and a small rack of lamb should be ready in about 12 hours. Smoker is at about 250 degrees and the meat is in.

1496060388110.jpg

1496060399795.jpg

/ It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker #2  
Looking good. So, should we be there about 5 pm (PDT) to eat?:)

Steve

/ It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker #3  
Happy memorial day! Brisket and a small rack of lamb should be ready in about 12 hours. Smoker is at about 250 degrees and the meat is in.

View attachment 510996

View attachment 510997

Cool! Any recipes you want to share? Briskit is always a challenge, although I do have a method that has been spectacularly successful a time or two. Intesting smoker...how about some more pictures?

/ It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker #4  
Not quite sure if I will grill today but we have some hamburger that was on sale.

Yesterday I put some boneless chuck steak that was on sale on the cooker. I smoked the steaks, they were only about 1/2 thick, for about 45 minutes and they were very yummy. :licking::licking::licking:

I do not use gas or charcoal but use sticks that fall from the trees, small pieces of wood that I collect when splitting firewood, and one small piece of hardwood about 2x2x6. Basically, I smoke/cook/grill with waste wood that might weigh a couple of pounds at the most.

Hamburgers cooked/smoked this way are really, really good. :licking::licking::licking:

The best steak I have ever had was cooked/smoked this way as well. I bought the steak from a rancher who was selling meat from the back of a trailer at a very small farmers market. The steak was heavily marbled, tasted very meaty, yet was tender. With the added smoke it was awesome!

Ok. Might have to grill/smoke tonight. :D:D:D

Later,
Dan

/ It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker #5  
Brisket on the smoker here in Texas too.
IMG_9092.jpg

/ It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker #6  
Started a 10 lb Boston Butt at 11:00 PM. 2 racks of ribs went in at 10:00 AM. Gonna toss in a few chicken drumsticks in 45 minutes. Smoker @ 230*

/ It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker #7  
You guy's are killing me. Wet & no sun, definitely not San Diego weather here.
Enjoy your feast! :thumbsup:

/ It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker
So apparently you only need to smoke a rack of lamb for a couple hours. Wasn't really thinking about the fact that it's a much more tender meat than brisket so it doesn't need all day. So I already took it off for now so it doesn't overcook. Will put it back on to reheat an hour before eating. Looks and smells absolutely amazing. Juice is dripping. 1496081549569.jpg

/ It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker
The smoker is called a pit barrel cooker and it's basically a 30 gallon drum with a couple holes drilled in it for some rebar to hold the hooks to hang your meat from. It's a no frills setup despite the $300 price point (which in retrospect seems high as I could have just bought a drum and made this myself. But the kit is put together nicely and set up perfectly from the factory. At the bottom is a basket for charcoal. Temperature holds tight at 270 when the charcoal is hot. After about 5 hours temp was down to 200, added more unlit kingsford and temp came back up. After 6 hours the brisket is up to about 185 internal temperature and starting to soften up. 1496081951627.jpg1496081965748.jpg1496081984255.jpg

/ It's 5am and the brisket is in the smoker #10  
The smoker is called a pit barrel cooker and it's basically a 30 gallon drum with a couple holes drilled in it for some rebar to hold the hooks to hang your meat from. It's a no frills setup despite the $300 price point (which in retrospect seems high as I could have just bought a drum and made this myself. But the kit is put together nicely and set up perfectly from the factory. At the bottom is a basket for charcoal. Temperature holds tight at 270 when the charcoal is hot. After about 5 hours temp was down to 200, added more unlit kingsford and temp came back up. After 6 hours the brisket is up to about 185 internal temperature and starting to soften up. View attachment 511030View attachment 511031View attachment 511032

Cool! I've got a 2 inch thick, 2 pound Cowboy steak I'm putting on the BGE in about an hour.